Help Identify Pilot Custom Pen

compulsive_collector

Dear Members,

I recently purchased a bunch of Pilot Custom pens from a Japanese seller on ebay. A few of them were Custom 74s and others were Custom 67s, models that I am very familiar with. Along with these, I bought what I thought was a burgundy Pilot Custom 67, but which turned out to be a mystery pen. It looks like a Custom 67, but it is a few millimeters shorter and thinner and has a Size 3 nib whereas the 67s have Size 5. Even more interestingly, the nib has a date code of H108, which puts the manufacturing date somewhere in Jan 2008. I am not sure if the whole pen was manufactured in 2008 or just the nib was swapped. Right after I posted this, I was able to pull the nib and feed. Looks like I got the wrong date code; it is H1087, so October 1987. Does anyone know of such a pen? The seller was equally clueless and said that he just thought it was a Custom 67 pen and wondered if I wanted a refund (lol, hell no, I love it). It writes like a Custom 98, which isn't surprising because it has the same nib.

I have attached some images, but let me know if you need more. Thanks in advance 🙂

s-l1600.jpg.a001258816851623a4a838135306946a.jpg

s-l1601.jpg.4561c874d9abf37f9c8aced56a0a279d.jpg

s-l1602.jpg.7c5dc9dacfb107395339aebc425b40e4.jpg

Edited by compulsive_collector

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• compulsive_collector

• stan

• mke

• liubrian

Never seen anything like this, but it is a beautiful little thing.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Thanks! Yes, it is quite beautiful to look at and writes beautifully too. Pilot seems to have released a lot of pens in the Japan market that we never got in the US or Europe, so there is a good chance that I'll never be able to identify this 😢

Pilot makes mystery pens every now and then.

Here's one I needed help with back in May 2010.

4587326079_f692814f8c_o.jpg

4587333665_eeb9d5071a_o.jpg

4587326157_3e0e20082a_o.jpg

We found out it's called a Pilot Custom FK-300R-BN, from 1985 or 86.

fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/154096-pilot-custom-identification

Good luck with yours.  :)

We Give Away Scholarships! - Support High School Students Going to College

Your pen is a Pilot 67. Is there impressed lettering around the base of the cap? Was surprised the nib size is 3. Looks the same as a 5.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Hi stan, the pen isn't a Custom 67. It is at least 3-4 mm shorter than a Custom 67 and thinner as well. I have 3 Custom 67s and this looks like a shrunken version of it, without any impressed lettering under the rings of the cap. The Custom 67 takes a Con-70 easily, while I was only able to fit a Con-20 to this 🙂

@Newton Pens - Oh, I think I know that pen. Isn't it the FK-300R-BN? I read about it once while researching an ebay posting. Take a look at this (use Chrome to translate to English) - https://akashiclife.wordpress.com/2016/12/18/万年筆pilot-custom-fk-300r-bn/

PS - That pen looks gorgeous 🙂

Edited by compulsive_collector

@mke - Thank you! I think you solved the mystery. Most things on that page line up with my pen - it is shorter than the Custom 74/67, has a size 3 nib, and cannot take a Con-70 converter. Thanks, once again 🙂

On 3/27/2021 at 4:11 PM, compulsive_collector said:

Hi stan, the pen isn't a Custom 67. It is at least 3-4 mm shorter than a Custom 67 and thinner as well. I have 3 Custom 67s and this looks like a shrunken version of it, without any impressed lettering under the rings of the cap. The Custom 67 takes a Con-70 easily, while I was only able to fit a Con-20 to this 🙂

The image below is from a Pilot 1989 catalogue. Does it show your pen? Look closely at the top two left pens. They are shorter than those below marked as a Custom 67. Maybe someone can translate for you.

Pilot 1989 Catalogue.jpg

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

3 hours ago, stan said:

The image below is from a Pilot 1989 catalogue. Does it show your pen? Look closely at the top two left pens. They are shorter than those below marked as a Custom 67. Maybe someone can translate for you.

Pilot 1989 Catalogue.jpg

Looks like it's called the Custom Slim, unless anyone else has a suggestion for スリム.  I wonder where the blog that mke linked got 'Custom 64'.

@stan The burgundy pen that is second from the top on the left looks exactly like the one I have. I agree with @liubrian, the closest translation seems to be Custom Slim. Thank you for all the help in solving this mystery 🙂

Best would be confirming it with Pilot, see link to their contact form in my last post.

Internet didn't bring up パイロットカスタムスリム or パイロットスリム but a few ladies.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/pen_parade1000/archives/1614320.html

https://www.amazon.co.jp/【中古-良品】-PILOT-パイロット-カスタム67-ブラック/dp/B07D9JSYS7

and the already posted link: http://blog.noguchan.lolipop.jp/?eid=934503

It is possible that the Japanese pen people freely named it "Lady" because of the Sailor Profit Lady.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAFAg-EjYyq/

In the first picture, the left pen is the Profit Lady and the second is the Profit Standard (1911).

From that date range this is the only Pilot catalogue in my collection. It is possible Pilot could have used the name Lady in other years more creatively market the model.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Pilot had a pen called "Lady Red Leather" (other colors too) from 1976-81. But that was a different style (see attached photos). Common sense would say, they didn't mix names and styles - but what is common sense worth if money counts most.

1976-79 with an 18k nib

1980 with an 14k nib

on the band is written "Pilot Made in Japan"

FLR-700R-R

レディ カワ

DSCN1108.JPG

DSCN1109.jpg

Often, pens are marketed in Japan under one name but another overseas.  Might this be such a case?