Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

First Piston filler, first demonstrator, first PenBBS

Gideoninpen

I was recently given a $10 Amazon gift card and immediately wanted to turn it into a fountain pen. I was really torn between getting the 6 pack of Jinhao 992's or a PenBBS 494. The prices were about the same and I've had this demonstator itch that I've really been wanting to scratch. But for the price I decided that I can always get the 6 pack of 992s and so I did the oposite of my spendthrift nature and got the one nicer pen. (Because in my world the 1 $12 pen is the "nice" one 😅)
         Anyway my PenBBS 494 showed up this evening, so I filled it up with Noodler's Black and did a little sketching to get the feel of it.
          It's give quite a lot of feedback, very pencil like. I don't mind this  it wasn't digging into the paper at all but yeah, the nib is very stiff.
        It also started out very dry. It was was able to keep up perfectly fine when writing but it was just having trouble with quick cross hatching. Just a little extra pressure on the tines got it flowing more to my liking.  I was able to get plenty of line variation for what I do even with a nib that has 0 flex. 
        I have to say for my first demonstrator and piston filler I couldn't be happier.
Thanks for looking!

IMG_20210324_231304103_2.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MuddyWaters

• Gideoninpen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for sharing your drawing! That's really nice. I have this pen too. It's solidly built and does the job, especially as a work pen. I just don't use it because of its small size.

On 3/25/2021 at 7:45 AM, MuddyWaters said:

Thanks for sharing your drawing! That's really nice. I have this pen too. It's solidly built and does the job, especially as a work pen. I just don't use it because of its small size.

Hey thanks, I try. I'm working on my second coloring book right now and pick up some freelance work from time to time.  I was worried about it being a slim pen too but I've found it doesn't bother me.  It's given me a taste of what I want in a nicer pen.