New Pelikan M205 Announced: Petrol-Marbled

aimi

6 hours ago, aimi said:

You're so lucky haha I think everyone wants one with a silver band

This pen doesn't have a cap band per se, but a cap lip, which is silver on every one I've seen.

It's the finial that changed from silver in the pre-release pictures to black in the production model.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• A Smug Dill

• mizgeorge

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

This pen doesn't have a cap band per se, but a cap lip, which is silver on every one I've seen.

It's the finial that changed from silver in the pre-release pictures to black in the production model.

Oops, my bad! Got a little confused there haha thanks for the correction!

Well, beauty, beholder and all that. I received mine yesterday. Eagerly opening the box, I gazed in horror at the pen inside. Two really wide black strips with two narrower marbled strips. What were they thinking?! It's hideous. I closed it back up and have emailed Cult requesting a return.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

7 hours ago, chromantic said:

Well, beauty, beholder and all that. I received mine yesterday. Eagerly opening the box, I gazed in horror at the pen inside. Two really wide black strips with two narrower marbled strips. What were they thinking?! It's hideous. I closed it back up and have emailed Cult requesting a return.

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that.

Beholder or not, after spending this money one wants to have an attractive pen! A down side, I suppose, of having to do all this shopping online.

Mine does have a black patch, but it's position is attractive, and doesn't show up when writing with the pen. It serves as a contrast to the rest. It sounds like yours is almost the opposite.

Hope it works out. Are you going to ask them to send a different ones or just refund?

Yeah, one wide black strip was on the top, running length-wise from the nib so all I'd see is black when writing. Cult already sent return approval, gonna get the M205 Blue marbled instead.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 4 weeks later...

I had asked the pen and paper store nearby if they had the Petrol Marbled so I could see it live and in person. They had about everything... An M800 Burnt Orange, an M200 Café Crème (nice, but nothing I really want), an M805 Blue Dunes (very nice, but somehow I didn´t pull the trigger yet), the new M200 White and Pastel Green (hate it live even more than in the pictures) and a lot more, but no Petrol Marbled. They said they would see what the could do about it and two days later they called me, saying they had one in the shop now. So today I went over to have a look.

What can I say? I had some play money from Christmas left I can only spend in that town, the pen is nice, I got the B nib I wanted and so I bought it.

Yes, it has a dark part, but it is facing down when I am writing and I am okay with the overall looks.

Yes, I would have liked it better with the silver crown, but I might just try if I can source one to have both looks.

So hey, little bird, welcome to the flock!

5 hours ago, carola said:

So hey, little bird, welcome to the flock!

+1

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

21 hours ago, carola said:

Yes, it has a dark part, but it is facing down when I am writing and I am okay with the overall looks.

Yes, I would have liked it better with the silver crown, but I might just try if I can source one to have both looks.

My second Pelikan M205 Petrol-Marbled arrived on Friday. My wife expressed admiration of the pen when I showed her the first one, and I knew even before that the colourway would be right up her alley; so, when LCdC recently offered 15% off all Pelikan products (and even managed to have some pens of that model in stock!) without requiring the use of a discount code — meaning that a customer could stack a discount code on top of that — I didn't hesitate to order another unit.

The distribution of light and dark sides are different on our two pens. I asked her to choose one for herself, and I'll keep the other; but she wanted me to do the choosing. Given her pen will have the original cap with the black cap crown, whereas I'm swapping the cap from my M205 Blue-Marbled (with a silver cap crown) onto my pen, I gave her the pen on which one of the dark bands would be aligned with the clip when capped; her pen looks darker on the whole, and the chatoyant swirls are deeper and more subtle (but still beautiful, probably more so to her eye). The brightest side of the pen I'm keeping is aligned with the nib face; when capped, it's slightly off to one side of where the clip is pointing.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

As it seems pretty much impossible to get a single silver cap crown and I still like the originally advertised version of the pen a lot better than the actually produced one, I have decided to pull the trigger on a spare black M205 cap with a silver crown. Costs me another € 50,- and I will be able to have both versions at hand. The pen and paper shop where I bought the original pen is willing to let me have one of their caps and order a spare one for themselves, which is nice as we all know it is somewhat tricky to get anything from Pelikan right now. Those people are really great when it comes to making things possible.

3 hours ago, carola said:

As it seems pretty much impossible to get a single silver cap crown and I still like the originally advertised version of the pen a lot better than the actually produced one, I have decided to pull the trigger on a spare black M205 cap with a silver crown. Costs me another € 50,- and I will be able to have both versions at hand. The pen and paper shop where I bought the original pen is willing to let me have one of their caps and order a spare one for themselves, which is nice as we all know it is somewhat tricky to get anything from Pelikan right now. Those people are really great when it comes to making things possible.

I am glad that your local shop was able to help out. It is great to have such a friendly relationship with a merchant. I suppose it is theoretically possible to get that kind of service from even a large Internet retailer, but I am betting it is rare.

This story reminds me of why I like to support and do business with people who know my name and value every sale. I will go out of my way to do business with shops that make it easy to spend my money and then make me happy that I spent a little bit more than was absolutely necessary.

It does seem to be an improvement. The silver ring on the finial just looks a bit more balanced with the other silver furniture. I wonder why the change was made between the promotional pictures and the actual manufacturing...supply problems? Change of heart by the product planners? Who knows. I am sure Pelikan will never tell.

It was probably done just to differentiate more between the m200/250 and the m400. I seem to be the only one who doesn't mind the change. I think I quite like it as it seems more in keeping with an older style.

3 minutes ago, Uncial said:

It was probably done just to differentiate more between the m200/250 and the m400. I seem to be the only one who doesn't mind the change. I think I quite like it as it seems more in keeping with an older style.

I get that, too. I am maybe as interested in reasons behind what drives such last minute changes as in the changes themselves. I am sometimes fascinated by what makes a given company "tick," as it were. The how's and whys of decision making, especially with resect to visible product features.

6 minutes ago, Uncial said:

I have to say it doesn't bother me at all either way. I still don't love this one - I think it's just too dark for me. I may need to try it with a much lighter, but still tonally similar ink which might change how I feel about it. 

50 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

I have to say it doesn't bother me at all either way. I still don't love this one - I think it's just too dark for me. I may need to try it with a much lighter, but still tonally similar ink which might change how I feel about it. 

I got a bottle of Herbin ink as a present a few days ago and it seems to be a pretty perfect match colourwise:

Émeraude de Chivoir

(Although I am somewhat hesitant about using shimmer inks. My alternative is Diamine Eau de Nil.)

And yes, the cap with the black crown does point in the direction of the old style M200s but as I never liked those caps, this is pretty much a downside to me.

I will of course keep the original cap and who knows, I might change my mind in the future, but for now I am going to use the silver crown cap. To me, the pen looks somewhat fresher and more elegant and - as N1003U already pointed out - the silver trim more balanced.

Using mine with the cap-with-silver-crown borrowed from my M205 Blue-Marbled makes it easier to distinguish between my wife's and my M205 Petrol-Marbled pens at a glance. ;)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On 8/4/2021 at 5:22 PM, carola said:

I got a bottle of Herbin ink as a present a few days ago and it seems to be a pretty perfect match colourwise:

Émeraude de Chivoir

(Although I am somewhat hesitant about using shimmer inks. My alternative is Diamine Eau de Nil.)

And yes, the cap with the black crown does point in the direction of the old style M200s but as I never liked those caps, this is pretty much a downside to me.

I will of course keep the original cap and who knows, I might change my mind in the future, but for now I am going to use the silver crown cap. To me, the pen looks somewhat fresher and more elegant and - as N1003U already pointed out - the silver trim more balanced.

Try Diamine Smoke on the Water. It sheens like crazy, which goes rather nicely with the darker swirls on the pen, and the base colour is preety close to that of Emeraude de Chivor. With the (to me) advantage of not having the shimmer and possible clogging to worry about. The ink is ridiculously well-behaved for a monster sheener and goes really well with the pen. 

• 1 year later...

I'd like to resurrect this thread. I'm thinking of getting a Petrol-Marbled, and I'm looking for an ink to match up with it. I haven't seen this pen in person yet, and the one shop I did go to didn't have one for me to look at. I'll visit a couple of others before the end of the month, but I may end up ordering off of the internet. 

When I ask about the color of the pen, people say it leans blue, and comments in this thread suggest the promotional photos are inaccurate. So, I'm looking for a blueish teal ink that you think would work well with this nib, likely in <F>. The kicker, though, is that I would like it to have some water resistance, such that something legible is left behind in the event of a spill. 

Some inks that have been suggested to me elsewhere are GvFC Deep Sea Green, Sailor-Nagasawa Kobo No.44 Sumaura Seaside Blue, Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine, and Kakimori 08 Zabun. (That last one may be too dry, though. I'm not sure. And it may be difficult for me to find locally, but I'm still including it.)

For those of you who own or have seen the pen in person, which of these four inks do you think would be a good match? Or you could even rank the ones you're familiar with. Additionally, if you have an alternate recommendation, you can suggest that as well.  ***Please keep in mind I would like at least medium water resistance.***  I likely won't be buying the pen until next month if I do go ahead with it, so I still have some time to research an ink.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, SlowRain said:

For those of you who own or have seen the pen in person, which of these four inks do you think would be a good match?

I don't care about that, sorry, when I've already got an excellent match between ink and pen colour-wise.

3 hours ago, SlowRain said:

Or you could even rank the ones you're familiar with. Additionally, if you have an alternate recommendation, you can suggest that as well.  ***Please keep in mind I would like at least medium water resistance.***

I absolutely do not want to be ranking anything, when I think what's useful is to offer you suggestions in isolation that will fit the bill, so that you can't go wrong with any of them being good enough. If you want to find out which candidate is best, then the best thing for you to do would be to acquire as many of the inks as you would like to compare, and do the comparison yourself.

Here's my recommendation — same as before:

large.1525185905_PelikanM205Petrol-MarbledwritingsampleinJacquesHerbinBleuAustral(front-onphoto).jpg.20e5ff9a27bd598b4811a8255e1c9214.jpg

large.608543301_PelikanM205Petrol-MarbledwritingsampleinJacquesHerbinBleuAustral(photo).jpg.4b6f3700e16ea238d4ecd436b839806e.jpg

large.1053373957_JacquesHerbinBleuAustralwaterresistancetesting.jpg.370b0ce2d7056033ddd9464897ece544.jpg