EFNIR: Platinum Blue Black

LizEF

53 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Thanks for another fun review!  I have a few of the carts, and this was my beginning ink for the Preppys I got long ago.  They did not have a purple cast, nor a long dry time, but could be very hard starters, and eventually wore the color plating off my Preppy nib.  😭

This ink is still in my Preppy (M nib).  Mine's a plain nib, so no worry about any coating.  I guess that was the iron gall in the ink?  No hard starting yet.  I keep trying to use it up, but the cartridge seems to last forever...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• Geslina

• ethernautrix

• yazeh

On 3/23/2021 at 9:05 PM, arcfide said:

...It's performance on lower quality papers is also among the best for me, so I really enjoy using it. I've also found it to just work well across almost all my nibs.... 

+1. An excellent ink! Thanks for reviewing it, Liz!

1 minute ago, TheDutchGuy said:

+1. An excellent ink! Thanks for reviewing it, Liz!

:) You're very welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 9:07 AM, sakib said:

Awesome review Liz. Keep it going. A very unique way of presenting a ink. A small suggestion - if possible can u give a pic of the performance on absorbent paper. Woud greatly help, as most of us have to write on crappy papers.

Sakib, I have added an image to the original post with close-ups of the puzzle paper and 20lb copy paper.  I'll be including these in the video and posts going forward, along with a scan (rather than photo) of the completed review.  I'll also be adding the scan to past reviews, and the absorbent paper picture to those reviews for which I have said writing.

On 4/7/2021 at 8:40 AM, LizEF said:

Sakib, I have added an image to the original post with close-ups of the puzzle paper and 20lb copy paper.  I'll be including these in the video and posts going forward, along with a scan (rather than photo) of the completed review.  I'll also be adding the scan to past reviews, and the absorbent paper picture to those reviews for which I have said writing.

That for me will be very helpful. Thank you so much

7 hours ago, sakib said:

That for me will be very helpful. Thank you so much

You're welcome!

On 3/23/2021 at 2:38 PM, A Smug Dill said:

Yes, thank you again Liz, keep up the good work!

Platinum Blue-Black is a bit blurple, compared to Pelikan 4001 Blue/Black, Hero 232 Blue-Black, Diamine Registrar's Ink, etc. or even Rohrer & Klingner Salix.

I've written almost exclusively with this ink for the past 8 weeks, and it never one struck me as a bit blurple. Just looks a proper blue to me- much bluer than the other inks you mentioned. Always interesting how we can all see colours differently.

I finally cleaned it out of my pen last night, and it cleaned out incredibly easily. Great ink.

Thanks for another great review, @LizEF   ! 👍

• 4 weeks later...

I first used this ink because it was included with the Platinum 3776.  The first 3776 pens I bought, I fell in love with the ink and used it exclusively in the pens...the ink performs well and I loved the muted blue gray, not too light, not too dark.  So, next time I was shopping on a pen site, I threw a pack of cartridges of the blue black in with my order....and was very disappointed to find that the ink in the new cartridges is darker and brighter blue.  Not the same at all.

28 minutes ago, Geslina said:

I first used this ink because it was included with the Platinum 3776.  The first 3776 pens I bought, I fell in love with the ink and used it exclusively in the pens...the ink performs well and I loved the muted blue gray, not too light, not too dark.  So, next time I was shopping on a pen site, I threw a pack of cartridges of the blue black in with my order....and was very disappointed to find that the ink in the new cartridges is darker and brighter blue.  Not the same at all.

Interesting.  I wonder if they changed the formula, or if the ink in the original cartridge was aged or something.

I was reading the reviews on Jetpens, and someone mentioned the opposite of my experience, that the ink had gotten lighter and less bright in tone.  So who knows. I was thinking about buying a bottle, but am now reconsidering, I don’t want it if it’s going the be the brighter shade.

Huh, I'd just mentioned in another thread that I'd bought a bottle of Platinum BB recently (last year) based on the color of ink in PBB cartridges (ca. 2008-2010?) I'd just started using.

The new ink is darker -- it's pretty, but it doesn't show the appealing grayish tint of the old cartridges' ink.

So, maybe in ten years it'll be the color I wanted? Hahaha--and what color will I want in ten years?

Anyway, it's still a pretty BB, and I struggle to choose between it (bottle or cartridge) and KWZi Niebieski galusowy #3 (IG Blue #3). Today, the latter ink is "winning."

(Yes, cos, I don't know, but only one BB ink per total pens inked is my weird comfort zone. Always open to change, though! Maybe tomorrow....)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

4 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

Huh, I'd just mentioned in another thread that I'd bought a bottle of Platinum BB recently (last year) based on the color of ink in PBB cartridges (ca. 2008-2010?) I'd just started using.

The new ink is darker -- it's pretty, but it doesn't show the appealing grayish tint of the old cartridges' ink.

So, maybe in ten years it'll be the color I wanted? Hahaha--and what color will I want in ten years?

Anyway, it's still a pretty BB, and I struggle to choose between it (bottle or cartridge) and KWZi Niebieski galusowy #3 (IG Blue #3). Today, the latter ink is "winning."

(Yes, cos, I don't know, but only one BB ink per total pens inked is my weird comfort zone. Always open to change, though! Maybe tomorrow....)

I will probably buy a bottle anyway.  I already know I will probably get the brighter version, but as you said, it’s still a pretty blue and I love the way the ink performs.  

3 hours ago, Geslina said:

I will probably buy a bottle anyway.  I already know I will probably get the brighter version, but as you said, it’s still a pretty blue and I love the way the ink performs.  

It is a pretty blue/blue-black. 

I'm assuming the ink will fade to that lovely bluey-gray after some years, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the ink as is.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

20 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

It is a pretty blue/blue-black. 

I'm assuming the ink will fade to that lovely bluey-gray after some years, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the ink as is.

Yes, I’m going to buy it.  I just picked up a bottle of the Platinum Cassis Black, hoping it would perform similarly...it doesn’t.  Much drier, uneven. I need to try it in some wetter nibs, hope I get better results.

• 9 months later...

Here's the line width measurement. The line is one of those used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 270µm.

large.PlatinumBlueBlackLW.jpg.9ed12ab9777b979629005ae9a7b816e5.jpg