NEXT US PEN SHOW???

travberg

Well,

I am hoping there will be Pen Shows in 2021.

Fingers crossed!

Thoughts

Edited by travberg
Spelling error

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• langere

• Parker51

• whichwatch

I've got mine crossed as well.  Hoping that by the fall I will be vaccinated, and will be able to travel out of state for more than an afternoon.

The Chicago Pen Show is on the wishlist if it happens (people keep telling me what a great show it is).  If I do manage to make it I'll likely get on the road of Wednesday that week, stopping at antiques shops in NW Ohio and then across northern Indiana (and stopping some place for the night, en route).  Then finishing the trip on Thursday to the show site.

Then, in November (presuming of course that there's a site and that it will run) the Ohio Pen Show in early November; it's probably my favorite of the shows I've been to -- large enough to have a good variety of vendors, but smaller-enough than DCSS that it's not so large as to be completely overwhelming.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Dallas in September sounds like it is on.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I will be at the Chicago show, and I do have a table. [ rolled over from 2020 ]. Ruth if you show up you will see my hoard of Parker's .

22 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I've got mine crossed as well.  Hoping that by the fall I will be vaccinated, and will be able to travel out of state for more than an afternoon.

The Chicago Pen Show is on the wishlist if it happens (people keep telling me what a great show it is).  If I do manage to make it I'll likely get on the road of Wednesday that week, stopping at antiques shops in NW Ohio and then across northern Indiana (and stopping some place for the night, en route).  Then finishing the trip on Thursday to the show site.

Then, in November (presuming of course that there's a site and that it will run) the Ohio Pen Show in early November; it's probably my favorite of the shows I've been to -- large enough to have a good variety of vendors, but smaller-enough than DCSS that it's not so large as to be completely overwhelming.

Ruth, I agree with you completely. I look forward to the Ohio show, at least, but I would also love either Chicago or St. Louis!

Edited to say I just realized St. Louis will be virtual this year. 

Sharon in Indiana

Edited by sharonspens
New information added

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

The SF pen show seems to be currently scheduled to happen on its regular dates, the weekend before Labor Day, in its usual location (Redwood City). It is not yet clear what, if any, pandemic restrictions might be in place. Interested folks can check out sfpenshow.com periodically to find out more. 

I have been vaccinated and here in Ohio we are down to 40 year olds. It will be open to all adults very soon. And so, my wife and I will be ready effective  April 20th for travel. I understand that places with less vacinne will take longer, but suspect a July show would work here quite well.

I just wish that we could have the DC Supershow!  Any nibbles on that one?

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

I know that San Francisco, Ohio and Chicago would all be happy to be up and running like normal this year.  I really don't think Chicago could have happened first weekend of May  but, fingers crossed, we can be good for first weekend of October.

Roger W.

15 minutes ago, Roger W. said:

I really don't think Chicago could have happened first weekend of May  but, fingers crossed, we can be good for first weekend of October.

Roger W.

Agreed.  And my husband even told me that if it happens, I should just go ahead and spring for the site hotel, instead of trying to find something less expensive in the area, the way I usually do for the Ohio Show (and, the two times I went, for the Triangle Show).  A 10-20 minute drive to a different hotel isn't onerous, and that way I have more money to spend at the show itself.  DCSS was different -- there's NOTHING cheap in DC.  And I suspect that Chicago is going to be the same.  

My husband had to go to our primary care physician a couple of days ago for some pre-op paperwork/tests, and I had him ask the doctor about vaccinations (in PA they're mostly still on Phase 1A, although they've extended that to younger people who have underlying medical conditions just in the past week -- and even then I don't qualify; hoping for May, and opening up for Phase 2.  

Ironically, my brother is an Uber driver and HE had his round one shot last weekend, where he lives in NJ.  My husband thinks I might be eligible for being "overweight" (at which the doctor apparently said, "Yeah, the 'charts' consider any woman 'overweight' if they're not anorexic...").  I keep thinking back to when I was in college and not allowed to give blood at a blood drive on campus because I didn't weigh ENOUGH back then -- i.e., under 110 pounds!  Those were the days.... :wacko:

edited for typos

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I’m really hoping for the Triangle Pen Show, as it is closest to me, but I’m betting that one won’t happen.

I've been to that one a couple of times.  It's run by the same guy who runs the Ohio Pen Show, and I had a good time both times I went.  The only problem is that it's really a hike for me to get to the Raleigh area (whereas OPS is really only 3 hours from where I live -- the first year I went, I had a prior commitment for Saturday, and actually just day-tripped it to Columbus on Friday).

Chicago is a similar hike -- but if I do get to go to that, the plan is to make it a two-day trip each direction, stopping for breaks at antiques stores along the route (at least going out).

23 hours ago, Roger W. said:

I know that San Francisco, Ohio and Chicago would all be happy to be up and running like normal this year.  I really don't think Chicago could have happened first weekend of May  but, fingers crossed, we can be good for first weekend of October.

Roger W.

We're sure rooting for you, Roger!  Chicago is one of my favorite shows.  You guys (and lady) do a great job.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I do become encouraged reading early threads about a possible pen show in 2021.  We have Provinces booking appointments for the 55-60 year olds and only isolated vaccinations for hot spot zones for the 18+ aged adults.  Closures of dining in and many other public gatherings over 10 outside and even curfews in Quebec after 8 pm.  However, maybe this summer will be the tension relief we all want things are becoming normal....especially if the border between our great nations of Canada and the United States opens up for those with passports and a vaccine stamp(s).  

The other big event to look south to see what’s happening is Sturgis!

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

I am planning on attending the Raleigh Show in June.

My parents, wife and I are fully vaccinated, as well as is our son inlaw and our daughter will be by the end of this month. Our grandson is not old enough yet.

From what I read it likely will be the first show in the US this year.

I had a good time the two years I got to the Triangle show.  But for me it was an awfully long trip.  This year I've got a family thing.  Still keeping my fingers crossed for the Chicago show and of course OPS (the closest thing I have to a "local" show).

45 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

I had a good time the two years I got to the Triangle show.  But for me it was an awfully long trip.  This year I've got a family thing.  Still keeping my fingers crossed for the Chicago show and of course OPS (the closest thing I have to a "local" show).

I’m looking forward to this one, as I haven’t been to a show since Dallas in 2017. I have already booked my hotel room and it is about a 4 hour trip for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard yesterday from a pen store manager that the DC Pen Show is still being planned for this August. I later checked the website and learned that appears to be the case. I was surprised but I hope it works out. 

Halleluyah!  That would be great.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp