Nine "Greys"

TSherbs

I don't have a nice camera, so this image is from my phone. I recently ordered 9 "grey" inks from Vanness, and I thought that I would share a photo of my comparison of them on this Tomoe River paper. Obviously, "grey" is a relative term, and these inks range in color shades of blue, green, purple, and black. And a few of them are a straight slate grey. See for yourself.

De Atramentis, Fuyu-Syogun, Diamine Earl Grey, and the Paper Plume Oyster Grey all seem like what I would call a true slate grey. The Diamine did not work well with my glass dip nib.

The KWZ Grey Lux is more like a graphite black.

Oddly, the RO Graphite has a lot of green in it and looks like a moss green here.

The Kiri-same, Vinta, and Colorverse all have strong violet shading, especially the Colorverse (and I love the little bottle!)

I actually like the looks of all these inks, but on this paper they are not are not always what their names suggest.

YRMV

IMG_20210322_173502335.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• LizEF

• CoolBreeze

• lapis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the comparison.  At one point, I had decided that Fuyu-syogun was the grey, and I would buy a bottle next time I got ink.  But lately I've decided it might be too pale, and I'm holding off until I've compared some more greys. :)  Appreciate your addition to the comparison.

The Fuyu-Syogun was probably the smoothest on the glass nib. Pretty nice. But yes, bit lighter. 

How they are in metal nibs, etc, can be a whole different matter. 

Thanks for the comparison. 

The swabs look more interesting that the actual letters. 

I'm glad grey is not my thing though... I'll go for a pencil ;) :D

funny this is posted today.. I just took delivery of a grey ink that was the result of months of research... Diamine Silver Fox... pure grey without secondary colors.. not too dark, not too pale.. lots of shading.  Of the ones shown above I also own Papier Plume Oyster Grey.... it's quite nice but looks nearly black in some applications.  

Yes - Diamine Silver Fox is a great grey. My favorite too.
For long time Fuyu Syogun had this place but because of the blue undertones I was looking for something more neutral.
Diamine Grey was to dark for my taste but is a neutral grey too. It is a little bit lighter than Diamine Earl Grey.

Thanks from me, too. Greys all along each other can start one big journey. How does the Colorverse Anti-Matter write (e.g. wetness, lube) especially in comparison with fuyu-syogun, my absolute fave of all greys?

large.2049977848_fuyusyogun.gif.017935220d0b6c31d3cece0ded1dae46.gif

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

1 hour ago, lapis said:

Thanks from me, too. Greys all along each other can start one big journey. How does the Colorverse Anti-Matter write (e.g. wetness, lube) especially in comparison with fuyu-syogun, my absolute fave of all greys?

large.2049977848_fuyusyogun.gif.017935220d0b6c31d3cece0ded1dae46.gif

On a glass dip pen, it felt a bit more dry, but still fine. It is a true dusky purple, however, in both the writing and the smear. Fuyu-shyogun has a bluer tint. They are about the same level of saturation (on the lighter side).

edited to add: Anti-Matter is much like Iroshizuku Kiri-same, in both hue and "lubricity" (if you have ever tried that one)

14 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Well that's a couple more inks I want then...

yeah, they are visually appealing, especially in the smears

I think that these would be best in broader nibs (stubs, too).

• 1 month later...

When the feed is primed or is super concentrated after being in a pen for over a week, I found Fuyu-Syogun to be my favorite color of grey (cooler toned and dark). Unfortunately, it only stays that way for a line or two. Wish there was a grey that stayed that way on a normal basis.

CoolBreeze, have a look at De Atramentis Silver Grey (or one of its relabeled versions -- I have it as Tchaikowsky).  Or the regular Diamine Grey (although I also like Diamine Earl Grey).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

3 hours ago, CoolBreeze said:

When the feed is primed or is super concentrated after being in a pen for over a week, I found Fuyu-Syogun to be my favorite color of grey (cooler toned and dark). Unfortunately, it only stays that way for a line or two. Wish there was a grey that stayed that way on a normal basis.

You could try 3 Oysters Delicious Cool Gray.

3 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

CoolBreeze, have a look at De Atramentis Silver Grey (or one of its relabeled versions -- I have it as Tchaikowsky).  Or the regular Diamine Grey (although I also like Diamine Earl Grey).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

You could try 3 Oysters Delicious Cool Gray.

Thank you! They look great. When I looked them up, I also just saw DeAtramentis Fog Grey - it looks like a beautiful blue Grey. Any idea of a non-permanent alternative? It's much more blue than anything I have seen and for some reason I'm drawn to that as well. 

10 hours ago, CoolBreeze said:

DeAtramentis Fog Grey - it looks like a beautiful blue Grey. Any idea of a non-permanent alternative? It's much more blue than anything I have seen and for some reason I'm drawn to that as well. 

There are two versions: De Atramentis Document Fog Grey (permanent) and De Atramentis Fog Grey (not permanent).

You could also check out the variants of "Gris de Payne" on Vanness.

Fuyu-Syogun is the only grey that I've tried that I really felt looked right to me. Since I finally found "the Grey" I stopped looking. Thanks for the comparisons!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

4 hours ago, LizEF said:

There are two versions: De Atramentis Document Fog Grey (permanent) and De Atramentis Fog Grey (not permanent).

You could also check out the variants of "Gris de Payne" on Vanness.

I had no idea there were two versions. Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, CoolBreeze said:

I had no idea there were two versions. Thanks so much!

:) You're very welcome.  Enjoy the hunt for your perfect cool grey!

There is and/or was a DeA permanent grey not called "Document Fog Grey" but just "Document Grey" (since June 2015). In the meantime from DeA there is also a "Document Light Grey" plus a "Document Urban Grey".

Whew!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)