No more FP's

Well, I've been and gone and done it. With a huge sense of relief I've promised to give my FP's and inks to my grandson. Much as I've tried to get on with pens for 70 years I've finally admitted defeat. So it's back to my lovely pencils with a ballpoint when ink is a necessity. Whoopee !

Sorry chaps and chapesses.

Mike-S

It matters not with what you write,

just write.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• pajaro

• Mike-S

• enuhski

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi! Glad your grandson will get your pens to enjoy. Just curious, why have you given up on fountain pens after decades of using them? Thanks!

My handwriting is awful but less so  and even legible with a pencil.

It matters not with what you write,

just write.

1 hour ago, Mike-S said:

My handwriting is awful too, but I'm not letting that stop me. If I can puzzle my way through what I've written that's good enough for me.

ymmv

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

1 hour ago, Ink Stained Wretch said:

My handwriting is awful too, but I'm not letting that stop me. If I can puzzle my way through what I've written that's good enough for me.

ymmv

+ 1

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

I'm getting old too and have trouble writing neatly, but I solved that problem by printing using a script that makes it possible to decipher the letters even when written extremely sloppily. Other people say it's easy to read too.

But I do agree, pencils are nice. :)

2 hours ago, Mike-S said:

In my case I found mine to have improved considerably after I started using fountain pens almost 2 years ago.  I think you've given 70 years to fountain pens and do deserve a vacation / divorce from them hehehe.

To each his or her own. Hope your grandson will enjoy your pens!

I write much better when I don't try to write so well. When I first got back into fountain pens I tried to use my best cursive which was usually large fonts that I normally use. Now days I just use an FP as I would any other pen or pencil. If I feel like printing, I print. 

THat said, for me, the most significan discovery in using any pen is that the quality of the paper plays a significant role in the quality of the handwriting regardless of writing instrument used.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I am almost there.  I unpacked my art pencils and pastel pencils from a packing-up for a move we cancelled.  I have become interested in Parker Desk Jotters in blue, red, yellow and green.  Still, finding the P51, MB 144, Lamy 2000 and Parker 75 Sterling Cisele in fine a bit hard to put down, as I have struggled on with each for as much as 51 years.  Love those Jotter Desk pens, though, with their simple cube desk bases, unlike the ornate fountain pen bases.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I only keep one FP inked up at any given time since I'm terrified of neglecting a pen with ink and having it dry up.

But honestly, most of my writing is done with a lead holder or wooden pencil. A drafting pencil if I'm doing math...

I can hardly hold a pen anymore it's soon time to pass mine on too. Some are 120 years old now.

Arthritis and just being tired of ink leaking onto my hands when I turn the knob on the piston converter to keep ink flowing or when filling a pen.  Then I touch and ruin something else from the ink I didn't know was on my hands.  I don't need to write a lot, and just prefer to make make watercolor, acrylic or oil paint messes.  Then I expect the stuff on my hands.  Arthritis?  Those sudden zigs of the brush are modern art.  Joining the OFAPS (Old Far*S At Play).

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.