Jacques Herbin 1780 Vert Atlantide

lgsoltek

Does anybody know how to order the Sailor kukujuri coast inks nowadays (and others like Nagasawa by the way) since rakuten has decide to turn their backs on us gaijins?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• Detman101

• mizgeorge

• yazeh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, nibtip said:

Does anybody know how to order the Sailor kukujuri coast inks nowadays

As much as I was surprised and delighted to see Sailor Kujukuri Coast inks (in two colours I don't have) appear in @lgsoltek's writing samples here, I'm not sure how to acquire those inks has to do with (discussion on an) ink review of a Herbin shimmer ink even remotely.

All the same,

6 minutes ago, nibtip said:

since rakuten has decide to turn their backs on us gaijins?

You can still order them on Rakuten Ichiba. Seeing the ‘mention’ of 浜七福金 on the sheet caused me to go look, and I'm surprised to see You Style is selling them again. You just have to work out, as a separate part of the acquisition process, how to get them home to yourself when it will only deliver to addresses in Japan, and you'll need to enlist the help of a friend, acquaintance, agent or commercial forwarding service.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

FromJapan proxy does not accept to forward inks, alleging that it is forbidden. I respect that. 

I had succeeded a few years ago with zen market, although they do also specify that it is not allowed.

Maybe through byee.jp proxy.

I am aware about the availability Style dee and other inks on rakuten and yahoo japan.

The connection between The Herbin vert amazon and the  kukujuri coastal ink is, that both are greens that i appreciate. Anyway my question was addressed to Lgsoltek, not particularly to you.

I have used a full sample vial of this ink and enjoyed it very much.  The interestingly complex muted tealy gray green is beautiful.  

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

15 hours ago, nibtip said:

Does anybody know how to order the Sailor kukujuri coast inks nowadays (and others like Nagasawa by the way) since rakuten has decide to turn their backs on us gaijins?

I have no idea how to get these in Europe. Back when I was in France I could rarely find these store-exclusive Sailor inks. They’re much easier to get in China (most probably due to the shorter distance). As A Smug Dill said, your best bet would be some forwarding services or friends who would “smuggle” them to you, although it must be really difficult given the current public health situation.

Not sure how I missed this on the day it was posted... Anywho, thanks for the review LG - fabulous as always.  Your gorgeous writing is almost enough to make me practice. ;)

This is such a great ink. I love herbin's shimmer inks, they're the only ones I can consistently use in really fine nibs without ending up with flow issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice, thanks for all the work it takes to do these reviews.  Generally, I like most of the Jherbin inks I’ve tried.  I just got my first shimmer inks this weekend, both JHerbin, Blue Ocean and Emerald of Chivor.  I have Blue Ocean in a Franklin Christoph EF nib and you can still see the shimmer.  The Emerald is in a Franklin Christoph fine nib, and while it’s a beautiful color, not much shimmer.  Both inks are nicely lubricated. I like the looks of Vert Atlantide, but oh god, I don’t need any more ink!!!! 

• 4 weeks later...

While I love green in the real world out there, I never found a green ink that pleased me once I started writing with it. There’s always too much or too little of something. In reviews and when opening the bottle, Herbin Lierre Sauvage looks amazing to me. But once I’ve written a few lines, something seems to be off somehow. Ditto with Visconti Green (which is more of a mint green) and a slew of other greens. Funnily enough, the only green that I _do_ like is a blue: Blackstone Sydney Harbour Blue is awesome. To my eyes, it looks like a very deep, dark green and it ticks my boxes.

Anyway, I bought a bottle of Vert Atlantide today at Appelboom, put it in a wet M800 with an F nib re-ground to a mini-stub by Anabelle Hiller and I really, really like this ink! It’s lovely! A very complex ink that always shows me something new but never sears my retina. Wet but not too wet. Understated yet beautiful and easy to read.

The shimmering particles sink to the bottom of the bottle really fast. After two minutes, there’s a cake of particles on the bottom that requires vigorous shaking to disperse.

E6A8A500-F081-45EC-9820-19ABCB9576D1.thumb.jpeg.bb2816798c1c13be3435431272c6aa00.jpeg

A pen refill needs to be done fast. I noticed that after filling the pen, the number of particles deposited on the page dropped off fast as I continued to write. Here is some writing that I did straight after a refill. Areas marked 1 and 2 were written in one go, with the same pen.

9B840E10-2FE8-40CF-A234-0B562FF7689A.thumb.jpeg.ef3a2a073acf6c9988ea7230377951db.jpeg

Here’s a close-up of area 1:

24FE9AC4-0B1C-49CC-AFF1-1F8A0EDA6567.thumb.jpeg.80550b0f59f11f01259452ef0a9100b7.jpeg

And here is a close-up of area 2:

591C3836-E275-4E13-99AC-35B1090561E3.thumb.jpeg.85f1a455d72c549afdd73bffaed7e258.jpeg

As you can see, area 2 is almost totally devoid of particles. I noticed the same in another pen, a Lamy Dialog 3 with 1.1 italic nib. The first few words sparkle, then the number of particles drops off and after a line or two I get the base colour of the ink.

Which begs the question where all of these particles end up… They went into the pen, but they aren’t coming out of it. Given how fast the particles sink to the bottom of the bottle, I assume they do exactly the same in the pen. I’m not concerned about my M800 because it is super-easy to clean. Ditto for eyedroppers. But a pen like the Pilot Custom 823? Doesn’t seem like a good idea. With most vintage pens, I would steer well clear of this ink.

I fell for the base colour of this ink, it’s really nice and I’m sure I’ll finish this bottle. The shimmering is kind of like an extra. If you don’t need the shimmers, then simply don’t shake the bottle. You’ll still have a great ink.

55 minutes ago, TheDutchGuy said:

I noticed that after filling the pen, the number of particles deposited on the page dropped off fast as I continued to write.

I've found this to be normal for all shimmering inks I've tried.  You have to frequently rock and roll the pen to keep the glitter suspended.  (Though there may be an initial concentration in the feed caused by filling through the feed which cannot be recovered, but not as extreme as your two photos.)

Totally agree that glitter ink is better in easy-to-clean pens (and converters).

This is my all-time favorite ink...ever.
But due to the sporadic flow of shimmer, I tend to find myself syringing off the top of the bottle contents after shaking and letting the shimmer particles settle to the bottom.

To me...Even without shimmer this ink is just perfect in tone, shading and flow.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

I switched the Emerald of Chivor into my Franklin Christoph EF pen in Italian Ice....the ink still works great, even with the EF nib, but the pen is turning green!  I didn’t eye dropper it, just using a converter, but the threads and inside the cap are stained, and the ink isn’t coming off easily.   I think Emerald of Chivor might be highly staining.

2 hours ago, Detman101 said:

This is my all-time favorite ink...ever.
But due to the sporadic flow of shimmer, I tend to find myself syringing off the top of the bottle contents after shaking and letting the shimmer particles settle to the bottom.

To me...Even without shimmer this ink is just perfect in tone, shading and flow.

I agree, the shimmer is secondary...these inks write beautifully!

3 hours ago, Geslina said:

I agree, the shimmer is secondary...these inks write beautifully!

I have found some competition!
There is an ink that has the same shading properties as Vert Atlantide...but a little greener.
"Yoseka Stationery - Origin .01"
They're out of stock currently...but I figured I'd share.

https://yosekastationery.com/collections/all-products/products/yoseka-x-ink-institute-no-01-origin-ink
DSC_4042_8f2ac877-7719-4efb-8f07-c56390b

DSC_4038_73eba76f-8c84-498b-83ef-fe7a050

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

18 hours ago, Detman101 said:

I have found some competition!
There is an ink that has the same shading properties as Vert Atlantide...but a little greener.
"Yoseka Stationery - Origin .01"
They're out of stock currently...but I figured I'd share.

https://yosekastationery.com/collections/all-products/products/yoseka-x-ink-institute-no-01-origin-ink
DSC_4042_8f2ac877-7719-4efb-8f07-c56390b

DSC_4038_73eba76f-8c84-498b-83ef-fe7a050

Oh yes!  I saw this ink this weekend the Yoseka site.  I’m not a huge fan of greens, unless they are deep, dark, or muted.  This ink looks interesting!  Which reminds me, I have a ton of stuff in my cart there...need to pay/order.  I’m addicted to paper right now, trying everything out there. Yoseka has some great stuff!

On 3/21/2021 at 12:53 AM, chromantic said:

The sparkles look pretty but the color doesn't do anything for me.

Ditto - I like yellow leaning greens and this one is a tad too blue.  I find that I never use EOC even though I think the color is beautiful, I just don't get motivated for turquoises or teals.

Thank you for the great review!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2021 at 12:42 PM, EmJ said:

I love herbin's shimmer inks, they're the only ones I can consistently use in really fine nibs without ending up with flow issues.

On 5/5/2021 at 11:32 PM, TheDutchGuy said:

The first few words sparkle, then the number of particles drops off and after a line or two I get the base colour of the ink.

I finally opened up my bottle of Vert Atlantide after it's been sitting in wraps for weeks, nay, months. The colour is less vivid than I imagined — but closer to Diamine Green Umber, I suppose? — and there is far more shimmer coming out of my Wing Sung 3008 (and I don't even deliberately shake the pen to try and agitate the contents of its ink reservoir) and its reground EF nib than I expected.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On 3/20/2021 at 2:16 AM, lgsoltek said:

sam.thumb.png.e6d5c48139623c6411a5ff10558b397f.png

This ink is the perfect vector for this sentiment...

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

On 3/20/2021 at 7:39 AM, mizgeorge said:

+1

It's not that far from MB Jungle, but different enough that I'd definitely want it in a non-shimmer version if I could get it. 

I have never heard of MB Jungle - does this ink have another name?

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.