Most beautiful Edison materials

sombrueil

15 hours ago, sgphototn said:

I don't think this has been mentioned, but Edison does attractive work in ebonite though I never seen his ebonite in person. His photos look well done and not exaggerated for effect.

Knowing how well his acrylics have been received and not aware of substantial criticism, for someone looking for an American ebonite pen, nicely styled and apparently good craftsmanship throughout, take a look at his website. 

It's good to know that a nice ebonite pen is made in the States.

I would love to see some ebonite pens from other Edison collectors. Brian's pictures are, of course, gorgeous. I'm curious to see what they look like in the hands of users, too!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sombrueil

• N1003U

• sansenri

• Carrau

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, sgphototn said:

I don't think this has been mentioned, but Edison does attractive work in ebonite though I never seen his ebonite in person. His photos look well done and not exaggerated for effect.

Knowing how well his acrylics have been received and not aware of substantial criticism, for someone looking for an American ebonite pen, nicely styled and apparently good craftsmanship throughout, take a look at his website. 

It's good to know that a nice ebonite pen is made in the States.

true, also since Bexley stopped offering theirs, some of which were outstanding.

7 hours ago, N1003U said:

Thanks for the information. That Metallurgy is also a great looking material.

Good to know about the Glenmont. The Collier is a big pen, yet most seem to find it very comfortable to use.

That is true, it has something to do with the design which is particularly inviting for the hand.

I always compare the Collier to the Stipula Etruria, they share this largish design and the hourglass section that seem to make both comfortable (although I have a slight preference for the Etruria :)).

This is a premiere for Goulet. It's tough to show the colors on this fairly dark pen. It's a touch greener in person. The matching ink is sailor yama-dori.

PXL_20210505_204832882.jpg

On 5/5/2021 at 8:43 PM, dragondazd said:

This is a premiere for Goulet. It's tough to show the colors on this fairly dark pen. It's a touch greener in person. The matching ink is sailor yama-dori.

Gorgeous!

On 5/5/2021 at 8:43 PM, dragondazd said:

If that was in the Ascent (generally the same pen but with more rounded ends), that would be my next pen purchase.

On 5/5/2021 at 9:43 PM, dragondazd said:

Unless I’ve missed it, what is the name of the material?

On 5/8/2021 at 7:17 AM, Carrau said:

Unless I’ve missed it, what is the name of the material?

Goulet called this blue/black ebonite "arctic currents". I bought it in 2017.

Here is one of Brian's first (I believe) Pearls in red-black ebonite with my first Nakaya Piccolo. I bought the Pearl about a dozen years ago.

Nakaya Piccolo Cigar & Edison Pearl

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Thanks for the great picture of two lovely pens!

Many of the Edison models seem (to me) to be inspired by various classic pen designs (not at all copies, but it is often easy to tell by the shape from whence the inspiration came--put a Glenmont next to a Parker Duofold, or a Herald Grande next to an MB149 or Menlo next to a Pilot Custom xx).

Now it seem clearer where the inspiration for the Pearl was developed...

7 hours ago, N1003U said:

Thanks for the great picture of two lovely pens!

Now it seem clearer where the inspiration for the Pearl was developed...

Well, ahem... I had sent my Nakaya Piccolo to Brian to check out, so... I'm not sayin' but I'm sayin' but I'm not sayin'....

Hahaha.

But the Pearl is an ED -- oh wait, I used it as an ED but it probably came with a converter, too. 

Anyway, I still have both pens. Both resting in the Pen Valise. (Smiley thingy.)

Of course now wondering about that Pearl. Haven't inked it up in years.... (Meaning, I really enjoyed it back then, before being distracted by more Nakayas.)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• 1 month later...

Since Molten Ores has been mentioned a couple times, I thought I’d share photos of mine in the Beaumont version. I love it. 

28054A07-8442-4C8C-96AE-C9B53108852D.jpeg

515F6366-C93F-4D5D-BED0-8C396CA1F5A1.jpeg

Posted Image

• 4 months later...

I have a lot of Colliers. My favourite is still probably Persimmon Swirl, followed by a green/black ebonite, and then the Diamondcast. Persimmon Swirl is 'made' for me by the thin white streaks - just orange and black would be too stark.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

1 hour ago, amk said:

I have a lot of Colliers. My favourite is still probably Persimmon Swirl, followed by a green/black ebonite, and then the Diamondcast. Persimmon Swirl is 'made' for me by the thin white streaks - just orange and black would be too stark.

I have two Edisons at present on my future purchase list. One is a Glenmont in Parker Orange, and the other is a Collier in Persimmon Swirl. Do you have any photos of your Collier that you can share?

I've owned several Edisons over the years, but think I've settled on the Pearl as the model of choice for my hand. I've got a regular c/c version in Tim McKenzie 2nd Sin resin, and a custom clipless with a smoke translucent window, draw filler, in Cumberland ebonite. The Cumberland ebonite was particularly hard for my phone's camera, and it varies a lot based on the lighting and background. Sometimes orangey, sometimes pinkish, sometimes reddish brown.

Pearls2.jpg

Pearls.jpg

Pearls1.jpg

Pearls3.jpg

Pearls4.jpg

~Jaime

(she/her)

Here's my little collection of Colliers: silver marble, persimmon swirl, burnished gold, Diamondcast smoke on the water, pearlised Juniper, Diamondcast metallurgy, green ebonite, black rose, and antique marble.

I'm still missing a couple! 

spacer.pngF

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

4 hours ago, amk said:

Here's my little collection of Colliers: silver marble, persimmon swirl, burnished gold, Diamondcast smoke on the water, pearlised Juniper, Diamondcast metallurgy, green ebonite, black rose, and antique marble.

I'm still missing a couple! 

spacer.png

Beautiful collection. Also nice that you have the Burnished Gold one right next to the Persimmon Swirl. I like both of those colors (but have neither), and it’s nice to see them side by side.

@amk Smoke on the Water and Metallurgy are so lovely. And this makes me miss having a green ebonite pen. Do you recall which shade it is? I'm guessing pine...

~Jaime

(she/her)