Most beautiful Edison materials

sombrueil

I am jonesing for another Pearlette, mine is clown colors  finger paints, which is clean against my style but amazingly, I find it cheerful and amusing. Since the production line is phasing out, I am looking at a signature line one. But I dither and dither about the material. All I know is, it will be acrylic and not translucent, and not a plain solid color. That's not exactly winnowing it down though. 

Can people post pics of their favorite colors Edison offers? Maybe it will help me but even if it doesn't, it'll be fun to look at ....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sombrueil

• N1003U

• sansenri

• Carrau

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think a better idea is to just give the names of the materials and make sure they're easily findable using Google and/or other web search engines.

25 minutes ago, sombrueil said:

… cheerful and amusing … acrylic and not translucent, and not a plain solid color.

How about Rock Candy?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

14 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I think a better idea is to just give the names of the materials and make sure they're easily findable using Google and/or other web search engines.

How about Rock Candy?

Too mixy. I'd rather have one dominant color. I don't know what color though!  Agh!

6 minutes ago, sombrueil said:

I'd rather have one dominant color.

I personally am considering a Menlo in Sweet Honey or Collier in Burnished Gold, but then I'm not prepared to look beyond Edison's production line models, so I haven't bothered looking at other materials. (Luckily, I managed to pick up a Collier in Pearlised Juniper, at lower than regular production line pricing.) The Beaumont in Aurum looks kinda OK, but I'm not sure I like the shape or size of the pen.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Yes, I like the Aurum color -- not the pen though.
I like this one: Brooks Japanese Autumn

Collier in Brooks Japanese Autumn

I think the Juniper is very beautiful, and it would probably be my first choice if I didn't already have an Azure Skies (which I love to bits). I've been looking at a stock Quantum, which is at a great price, but it's not the perfect colour (I can't get past the red), so I think I'm probably going to end up going for a signature version, which means I can have a draw filler rather than a c/c and go clipless. In which case, perhaps a Winter Streets fade, or something by Jonathan Brooks

8 hours ago, Ambien said:

Nebula by Jonathan Brooks 

DSC05394.jpg

OOH. 

This is getting more fun. 
Brooks Galaxy Prime

Pearlette in Jonathon Brooks Galaxy Prime

sombrueil, thanks for the OP. Next to the precision part machining, what I find the most fun with Edison products is the "explosion of color" available in terms a huge variety of materials. What typically limits the expansion of my Edison collection is my ability to decide which model and color I want next.

That said, my favorite model to date (in terms of how often it comes into rotation) is definitely the Pearlette.

Left to right:

Nebula, Cappuccino, Cobalt Flake, Miami Nights, Fingerpaints

IMG_4685.thumb.jpg.c7e502b7095643b9402aa36b9ec15e5e.jpg

...and last, but not least, Copper Flake:

image0-4.jpeg.ac40df3b32b434d47546c06d1c7a2c64.jpeg

As honorable mention colors, I would mention:

Antique Marble, Persimmon Swirl

Lovely! I am finding myself returning to Persimmon Swirl a lot myself. It is intense, even gaudy, but I'm getting more daring.  Carpe diem!

I really like Molten Ores, and Lapis Lazuli Flake, and have both in the Collier model.  The Lapis has flakes/small veins of gold flashing throughout it that keep it interesting.

I was tempted by Lapis Lazuli and I might get one later. Torn on the Molten Ores, in photographs it sometimes looks just smeary and blurry, sometimes lovely. What is your take?

41 minutes ago, sombrueil said:

I was tempted by Lapis Lazuli and I might get one later. Torn on the Molten Ores, in photographs it sometimes looks just smeary and blurry, sometimes lovely. What is your take?

Never would I have thought these three colors would look good together, but from the first time I saw Molten Ores I was attracted to the unusual combination.  In person, they are distinct swirls, giving a 3-D effect in mine.  I like a balance in the three colors-there’s been a good looking Brockton in Current Inventory for awhile.  The red is slightly on the brick-side, as opposed to maroon.  The grey in mine is on the blue-grey side.

https://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/The-Brockton/i-gNQ5WJH

The nice thing about the Lapis material is you know exactly what you’re getting.  The swirly acrylics are a bit of a dice roll unless you’re looking at the finished product.

1 hour ago, Carrau said:

Never would I have thought these three colors would look good together, but from the first time I saw Molten Ores I was attracted to the unusual combination.  In person, they are distinct swirls, giving a 3-D effect in mine.  I like a balance in the three colors-there’s been a good looking Brockton in Current Inventory for awhile.  The red is slightly on the brick-side, as opposed to maroon.  The grey in mine is on the blue-grey side.

https://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/The-Brockton/i-gNQ5WJH

The nice thing about the Lapis material is you know exactly what you’re getting.  The swirly acrylics are a bit of a dice roll unless you’re looking at the finished product.

Yeah, I was kinda wondering about that. I really like how my Fingerpaints came out, but I have seen pics of others which were kinda ech. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought my first Edison in a few years, tempted by the new resin being used in Edison's production Collier. They call it "Nighthawk," and it is compared to Tibaldi Impero celluloid in their announcement. On the one hand, it is not celluloid. On the other, I actually find it more attractive - a bit brighter overall while still not flashy.

When I got it, it reminded me of another pen I had. In fact, I am positive it is the exact same material Leonardo uses in their "Blue Sorrento" Momento Zero. 

Anyway, I find the material very attractive. 

David

299187863_EdisonMenlopostproduction.thumb.jpg.3a4048ee4c4b5d3b3a5e825a2ae74800.jpg

sure about not being keen on a translucent pen?  menlo draw filler in swirly white bits.

51 minutes ago, lionelc said:

299187863_EdisonMenlopostproduction.thumb.jpg.3a4048ee4c4b5d3b3a5e825a2ae74800.jpg

sure about not being keen on a translucent pen?  menlo draw filler in swirly white bits.

Um. I really like some of their translucent swirlies. I have the thought, since I use many colors of inks, that it would be too many things to fiddle with. But I could change my mind ....

3 hours ago, lionelc said:

I'd be delighted with that version - but I'm only really keen on translucent/clear/demonstrator pens with a decent filling mechanism (or eyedropped). The draw filler definitely fits that bill. If it was a production c/c I would be far less tempted. I bet it looks gorgeous inked up!

menlo filled up.  it is true that thorough cleaning is a pain - have photographed it half filled and well used in its modern wet noodle capacity.  in this you can see the difference between the pristine acrylic at the blind cap and the marks from previous inks in the barrel and cap - it's the sort of look i go for.  836544940_menlofilled.thumb.jpg.5902a8acea7408f40cd61eb251e4c69d.jpg

I've posted mine already in your previous thread, but here it is again for completeness.

This is a Pearl I got a few years ago. When I did, it was my second Edison and this time I specifically wanted to choose the material, so I spent (literally) a few days watching their colour carousel turning to see the different options over and over... In the end, flecked tortoise was what attracted me most.
This looks very much like real tortoise (do you remember those old combs, or those Fender guitar picks?)

large.1613147326_P1150448-3EdisonPearlfleckedtortoise.jpg.bb50ef9e2293427f49adfde6d42c02bc.jpg