TWSBI "Draco" . . . not a bad looking pen

markofp

I can't say I'm a fan of the colour scheme.  The price is not unusual for what I see on the market, but admittedly unusual for TWSBI.  I'll be passing on this one.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• langere

• Ashok

• maclink

• taimdala

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/21/2021 at 5:15 PM, inkstainedruth said:

It's a nice looking pen -- but I agree with Drone about the nib size.

The other question I have is about the fill system.  I have a couple of the 580-AL size pens and one of the things I *don't* like about them is that the piston does not extend all the way to the back of the feed (which I consider to be a design flaw, because you can get air bubbles in the ink chamber when the pen is low on ink).  And I've heard that the same issue is in the design of the smaller Eco and Eco-T pens (much as I like some of the colors, I've been hesitant to buy one because of the issues I've had with the larger pens.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

There's a little stopper ridge in the barrel right behind the feed so it's impossible to advance the piston all the way to the feed to avoid that dratted air gap. 

There's nothing I can do about it with my Ecos, but my Diamond 580 section unscrews right the hell off and I can fill the barrel all the way with a blunt syringe. I just retract the piston all the way back and fill the tank up all the way to the top, then screw the section back on.

I thought nothing could make me love anything other than my Eco but this feature of the 580 does make me love it just a teense more.

As for there being more Dracos with other colors ....

AUUUUGHHH!!!! ***JUST*** when I thought  I had kicked FOMO to the curb!

I'm still on the fence on getting the Draco, even though I have 130 bucks saved up in Visa gift cards ... I'm just not sure if I'll like how the section/grip feels in my fingers. The step up looks huge and the threads on the section are a touch too close for comfort.

Does anyone have this pen and if so, how does the section/grip feel? Too busy, too bumpy? Smooth? Comfy?

On 3/25/2021 at 1:35 AM, jchch1950 said:

What other colours are coming?

DITTO!

Does anyone know what the other colors are?

~*licks chops*~

I got mine today, and first impressions are pretty positive. The material is really nice, the red just glows. There's some translucence to it. Is the trim rose gold? Looks great with the plastic. I've read some concerns about the plastic and its durability- apparently TWSBI is recommending that the cap not be posted to prevent scratching of the material. I think this has less to do with the resin and more to do with how sharp the metal threads are. While the pen is resin, the threads on the section and inside the cap are metal, and the threading inside the cap is just a little sharp. I wouldn't say it's a finish issue, it's just metal edges against plastic. If anything is going to scratch up the pen when posting, these threads would do it. 

The pen is quite substantial. It's a little bigger than an M800 or Leonardo MZ, longer and a good bit thicker. It feels very substantial in the hand, it's heavier than either the 800 or MZ, though not overly so. The operation of the piston filling knob feels very smooth. There's a nice ink view window.  The nib is the smaller #5 nib, and it does look just a little small for the pen. But that's a relatively minor thing. I'm sure it's going to write very well- all my Ecos write wonderfully, and this appears to be the same nib. 

The MZ is a good comparison pen- the materials are comparably beautiful, price points are similar. The MZ has a #6 nib, the Draco is a legit piston filler. Both should be great writers. 

I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Something about the shape and proportions makes me think of the Aurora Optima. I like it, looking forward to seeing other colors. 

best,

Doug

From the broad flare of the nib in the OP’s image, that’s not an Eco nib but more the nib for the Diamond 580 models. 

2 hours ago, maclink said:

From the broad flare of the nib in the OP’s image, that’s not an Eco nib but more the nib for the Diamond 580 models. 

I think you're right, I just compared the pen to one of my Ecos and it isn't the same nib.

best,

Doug

I just received my TWSBI Draco today and am really enjoying it.  Does anyone know where I might find what number my pen is since its a limited edition of 3000 total pens?

I got mine last week , it is chunky with nice red shade colour with gold trim 

pen is quite large you have to use it in posted only 

writing with fine nib is very smooth and wet 

only concern is that it gives you feel of cheap plastic when you hold in hand