Pelikan 100N (?)

HyperCamper

Hi,

I've recently won a vintage Pelikan FP in an online auction. I liked the overall look of the pen and went for it. I think it's a Pelikan 100N (produced somewhere between 1949 and 1954). However, that's about all I was able to find out. Is there anything else to be said about this pen? I hope it was a good buy (collecting it next Thursday)...

Now for my main question (and the reason for posting this here): could you guys suggest some good restorers in Europe and / or the US? Ideally I'd have this pen brought back to as good a condition as possible. I'd like to use it regularly. Considering changing the nib (it's an EF)...

I'd really to tap into your collected knowledge! 🙂

Best regards!

68.jpg

68-1.jpg

68-2.jpg

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HyperCamper

• Wahl

• mana

• stoen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a 100N, as for restoring I would only consider Europe, in the US you would have to go through the Customs hassle.

Thanks! Would you have a couple of suggestions?

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

Presuming you bought the pen unrestored, from a decent seller, there's a very good chance that it needs very little doing to it other than a bit of a cleanup, provided the piston seal is still in decent shape. Does the piston move? If so, try just flushing it with water and see what happens. If it's not cooperating, give it a gentle soak to loosen up the ink (it looks like you have a lot of old ink dried in that window!), which will let you remove the nib section. Then let the barrel soak for a little while to see if that frees everything up (it usually does). 

You can then just add a little silicone grease to the top of the piston, pop the nib back in (give it a little polish first!) and you'll be good to go.

However, if the piston seal has degraded, it may need replacing. It could be cork or nylon, the first are pretty easy to make yourself, the second can be bought, but in either case, you may have reached the point where you'd be happier sending it to somebody else to work on.

I'm not able to recommend a restorer in the Netherlands, but I'm sure somebody can help on that one.

20 hours ago, HyperCamper said:

Thanks! Would you have a couple of suggestions?

Sorry, I don´t. I suppose you could find help in the Pelikan sub-forum.

• 3 weeks later...

AFAICT, this is a 1949-1952 (not later) model, it can be seen from the “script type” nib. I have one lika this. It’s a well made and rather robust pen. Nice buy, congrats.

Upon rinsing, I would dip the pen in a tray of distilled water for a few days. It can do no harm. In case the piston starts moving and it takes the water in, I would flush it few times, leave it filled for few hours and repeat the procedure to spill the ink residue out before drying it and deciding what to do next.

A European restorer would be a good choice. Hope this can help.

🙂

• 3 months later...

In case you have not yet found how to get your pen restored, you may wish to contact Tom Westerich at Penboard.de, he is a very skilled restorer and among a great deal of pens of all sorts he has put his hands on, he certainly is an expert in German pens. I'm sure he can also find a substitute nib for you (is the one on the pen a CN?)

On 7/20/2021 at 7:52 PM, mana said:

Any updates on this? :)

Most certainly!

In the end, I shipped this pen (and two more) off to one of our own: fountainbel. He lives in Belgium and I live in The Netherlands, so shipping charges were very reasonable and there is no hassle with customs. The pens were returned quite quickly and are in very, very good shape right now. Clean and operating smoothly. He even saved a wrecked nib that I thought was beyond repair. The pens all write great! 👍

By the way: thanks for all the suggestions in this post. 🙂