Pilot V5 as a Rollerball refill

Hi all,

I am a fan of the Pilot Hi-Tecpoint V5 Grip and would like to move to a nicer instrument while keeping the same point. Are there Pilot refills that I can use in a more luxurious roller ?

Thanks !

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• flatline

• Emile

• sciumbasci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, sciumbasci said:

We talking about the disposable V5 or the refillable V5? 

I use and like the disposable V5.

Think you're out if luck then, unless as stated by @Chthulhu you can find a Sherpa cover for it.

As it is a needlepoint rollerball, I suggest you look into Ohto. They often have funky names but their lineup is solid. 

the v5 and other liquid ink needle rollers come with airtight caps which are very essential. Difficult to achieve this when designing a pen that will take the v5 body as an insert. So even if you found a cover that fits, you might face dry outs etc. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

How is it that the Pv5 RT refills never  seem to dry out even though they're exposed to the air when retracted?

--flatline

2 hours ago, flatline said:

How is it that the Pv5 RT refills never  seem to dry out even though they're exposed to the air when retracted?

--flatline

they are the so called "capless" refills. same V5 name but totally different technology. The V5 the OP is talking about wont tolerate a capless operation.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

9 hours ago, hari317 said:

they are the so called "capless" refills. same V5 name but totally different technology. The V5 the OP is talking about wont tolerate a capless operation.

Interesting. I really like the Pv5 RT and remember liking the capped Pv5 pens 20 years ago. Maybe I'll pick up a modern capped version so that I can compare them.

--flatline

4 hours ago, HobbitLife said:

The V5 refill works in my Ti Pocket Pro by BigIDesign

The Pilot Hi-Tecpoint V5 Grip doesn't have a refill, just a barrel full of ink.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

On 3/15/2021 at 6:20 AM, Emile said:

Hi all,

I am a fan of the Pilot Hi-Tecpoint V5 Grip and would like to move to a nicer instrument while keeping the same point. Are there Pilot refills that I can use in a more luxurious roller ?

Thanks !

Those are my favorite as well. I looked for several months to attempt to duplicate such a refil that would work in vintage Parker ball point. Not sure how, but I came accross OHTO Flash Dry Gel Ballpoint Pen Refill 0.5mm which work very well and have a similar roller ball feel as the V5. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

@Emile,

Have a look at the fancy "Pilot G2 Limited Gel Pen". This link shows all the available colors except standard black/chrome and the new (Feb. 2021) Matte Black version:

https://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-G2-Limited-Gel-Pens/ct/611

More importantly look at the user comments here:

https://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-G2-Limited-Metallic-Body-Gel-Pen-0.7-mm-Gold-Body/pd/2343

One user comment says: "To add on to my previous review, I just discovered that this pen barrel also takes all the Signo RT refills! This pen is amazing! It takes Pilot Frixion 0.5 mm refills, Pilot Frixion Point 04 refills, Pilot G2 refills, Pilot Precise V5 RT refills, Signo RT refills, and Zebra Sarasa 0.7 mm refills..."

Note it says: "Pilot Precise V5 RT refills". Yeah, I know it's the refill and not disposable, but are they different in some way?

Here's a link to the new stealthy Matte Black version. It was released in February 2021 and is slowly hitting the retailers now. This amazon page says the Matte Black version is "In stock on March 30, 2021":

https://www.amazon.com/PILOT-Limited-Premium-Barrel-15238/dp/B08W2KJLSY

Have Fun, David in Florida

I use the Pilot Precise V5 RT refills in the Pilot Metropolitan rollerball body and love it. I believe the Hi-Tec and Precise are the same ink and point.

• 2 weeks later...

Curious about the Pilot RT refills, I purchased a few and did some swapping experiments. The RT and the signo 207 refills (UMR-87) are same in length. Both are gel type refills with the silicon grease ink followers. The pilot refill however does not fit in the signo pen. The plastic base of the tip tube is slightly wider than the hole on the signos chrome front cover. However I had in the past got a custom desk pen made for signo refills. The pilot fit in it beautifully. Some pics are attached. 

the RT refill is quite good and but for a slight ink color difference, writes same as my liquid ink regular hitecpoint pens. 

92F9C35B-4E6D-49F9-B7D6-8DB5F3007AE9.jpeg

0E39B62F-E0D6-44FF-B059-8F40AC2E75E5.jpeg

C31466DF-A50C-4F85-AB88-33033F55E07E.jpeg

97488975-5B31-4BDF-9479-692C94404D26.jpeg

998F9DB3-5B50-4A77-B2E2-0422BF60227F.jpeg

Any pen that will take a Pilot G2 gel refill will take the Pilot Pv5 RT and Pv7 RT refills. They will also take most other brands of gel refills but there may be a bit of tip wiggle since, as you noticed, the Pilot tips are a bit wider than most other gel refills.

--flatline