Very Cool Ink Bottle

OCArt

Here is the bottle - not sure it is worth $50 but it is awfully cute!

F622D008-871C-4F54-B18B-F01DF854D28A.jpeg

E6D7773C-7539-48BB-B273-083E1338E410.jpeg

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sinistral1

• amberleadavis

• Detman101

• OCArt

That's beautiful...and my favorite color ink too.
Just magnificent to look at.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

On 6/8/2021 at 10:14 AM, Detman101 said:

That being said, do Iron-Gall inks have longer durability in sunlight compared to regular inks?

Generally the opposite, to my understanding.

On 6/19/2021 at 4:49 PM, Aelfattrum said:

Generally the opposite, to my understanding.

Oh geez...well, that clinches it for me...I'm out, lol.
🤪

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

For those you might prefer the wide mouthed ink bottles of the Stipula Calamo line of inks, whose crystal is touted as been designed to protect ink from light. Not such a cool design though.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

To add my two bits to the discussion of leaving ink bottles out on your desk, with risk of UV-rays weakening the contents...
The resident expert (IMHO) Amber Lea Davis, has done extensive experiments which (almost) prove that ink in a bottle is not weakened or otherwise affected by sunlight.

So... Leave all your awesome inkbottles out, let them shine..!!
😎
Wish I had something to brag about there, but sadly, so far, all I have is good ink in boring (tho nice) bottles which live in a cardboard box next to my desk. Hope this will improve soon, I'm optimistic. 😃

1 minute ago, Daneaxe said:

To add my two bits to the discussion of leaving ink bottles out on your desk, with risk of UV-rays weakening the contents...
The resident expert (IMHO) Amber Lea Davis, has done extensive experiments which (almost) prove that ink in a bottle is not weakened or otherwise affected by sunlight.

😎
Wish I had something to brag about there, but sadly, so far, all I have is good ink in boring (tho nice) bottles which live in a cardboard box next to my desk. Hope this will improve soon, I'm optimistic. 😃

Oh SWEET!!
If I get a proper desk in the computer room I may consider displaying my inks thereupon.
Definitely in beautiful bottles such as these.
Even if I do syringe everything... 🤭

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

5 hours ago, Daneaxe said:

😎

Though in one thread she seems to indicate that she still keeps IG ink bottles away from too much direct light exposure.:

On 6/8/2016 at 9:31 AM, amberleadavis said:

I have mine in the open and under florescent lamps. The IG inks are in a darker cabinet.

THis was November 2014.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Potions_Cabinet/slides/20141110_213659a.jpg

I have never bought an ink just because of the bottle it came in. I always choose the ink for its own properties and if I happened to like its bottle, that was a plus. I used to HATE certain bottle designs, because I filled my pens directly from them...but since I started using an Ink Miser, I literally don't care how the bottle is designed functionally.

I still like bottles that are pleasing to look at though. The Iroshizuku and Edelstein bottles are some of my favorites. I like the J. Herbin 1670 and 1798 ink bottles too. The ribbon (color coded to the shimmer color) with the wax seal (color coded to match the ink tone) show nice attention to detail and look very classy.

I just got a bottle of SBRE Brown in the Akkerman bottle with the glass marble...it's a decent idea, but I don't like it as much as I thought I would. Again, I use an Ink Miser, so I don't really need or care for a bottle specially designed for filling. In my mind, the liability of it being much taller (and thus, easier to knock over) outweighs the benefits the extra chamber provides for filling pens. If I didn't use an Ink Miser, I might feel differently...

I still don't fully understand how the Tools to Liveby bottle works.

You turn it over (well, you tilt it) and the upper chamber fills with ink.  Then you turn it right side up and ink remains in the upper chamber because of a marble, which seals that chamber.  Then you stick your pen in the upper chamber and fill the pen.  But then, you've got some ink in the upper chamber and it stays there because of the marble.

How do you get the ink remaining in the upper chamber back into the lower chamber???  Sinistral1, you might be best equipped to answer this because you have the actual bottle in your hot little hands.

Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marble M205, Santini Libra Cumberland, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

If you tilt it carefully again, a good part of the ink can flow back into the main part of the bottle - but why bother? Keep it full and fill your pen from the upper chamber when necessary... I have three Akkerman bottles that are very similar, and I keep ink in the upper part of the bottle at all times.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Mhguda is right in her description of how to get the ink back into the bottle.  Or, leave it in the upper chamber, whichever you prefer.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Wow...this would make my ink bottle function just like my fountain pen!!
Double-Ink Chamber team GO!!!

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Sorry, I don't have any Ackerman, but isn't it easier to just push the marble a bit aside with the nib tip and let the ink slip back?

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Not really. Imagine the marble sits at the bottom of the inkwell, in a shallow hole, and in order to fill your pen you have filled the upper chamber to a height that the nib is fully covered when you put the pen in for filling. You'd have to use force to move and keep it aside for the ink to spill back.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 2:43 PM, Sinistral1 said:

Here is the bottle - not sure it is worth $50 but it is awfully cute!

F622D008-871C-4F54-B18B-F01DF854D28A.jpeg

E6D7773C-7539-48BB-B273-083E1338E410.jpeg

I totally adore the bottle!  How do you like the ink?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

It is supposed to be one of KWZ greens, but I haven't tried it yet.

2 hours ago, Sinistral1 said:

It is supposed to be one of KWZ greens, but I haven't tried it yet.

I'm going to have to buy the ink or another one in that bottle.  Where did you find it?

OOPS, I saw it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

@kwzi Which IG Green ink is in the bottle? Is it an IG ink I already have - as in one you have released before?

On 6/8/2021 at 12:14 PM, Detman101 said:

That being said, do Iron-Gall inks have longer durability in sunlight compared to regular inks?
If so, it would be worth it for me to get the IG-Green bottle. :)

An interesting question.  Would a higher temperature increase oxidation of the tannoferrogallic acid?  By how much?  It might fade the colorant.