Which Imperials or other inlaid nib pens are full size, fairly wide girth (by today's standards) pens?

MTHALL720

I'm not able to see and compare pens in person at this time.  The last couple of vintage pens I got were too light, short, and slender for me.  After reading more about vintage pens from the 1960's - 1980's I have the general impression that many are not going to have the dimensions I prefer.  Can anyone answer this question for me.  Thanks very much in advance.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MTHALL720

• Aysedasi

• silverlifter

• es9

The PFM is the big boy of inlaid nibs. It is the girthiest of those models and, because of the design of the pen (like the L2K there is no section as such--you can hold the pen wherever you like), it is very comfortable to write with.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Sheaffer Legacy, Legacy 2 and Legacy Heritage are about the same size as the PFM. The Legacy Heritage is back with three finishes designated as Legacy Heritage Chrevron.

On 3/12/2021 at 11:23 PM, MTHALL720 said:

I'm not able to see and compare pens in person at this time.  The last couple of vintage pens I got were too light, short, and slender for me.  After reading more about vintage pens from the 1960's - 1980's I have the general impression that many are not going to have the dimensions I prefer.  Can anyone answer this question for me.  Thanks very much in advance.

Thank you for the input everyone.

Now I have likely narrowed it down to Imperial Mark IV - Mark VIII I think.  I like the looks of the PFM but I have a feeling a nicely restored one may be more than my budget.  

My Sheaffer Balance oversized and Legacy II both have barrel diameters that max out at 13mm. My smaller Imperial 330 maxes out at 11mm. Lengthwise, my Sheaffer Balance oversized is 14.5cm, Legacy II is 14.0cm and the Imperial 330 is 13.0mm. Heftwise, the Legacy II is the most substantial since the cap and barrel are all metal. The Balance does not have an inlaid nib but of the three pens, it has the nicest writing experience (smoothest by far) although the Legacy II is no slouch. The Imperial is a cheaper pen and the nib is not quite as pleasant (although it is steel whereas the others are 18K).  If an inlaid nib is what you crave, I find that the Legacy II is a really nice pen although mine is a bit of a fingerprint magnet with its smooth palladium finish. If I could only keep one it would be the Balance Oversized, hands down.

Thank you for the input.  I wouldn't have guessed that the Balance Oversized is such a nice pen.  I will research that pen.   Lever filler if I remember correctly.

The OS Balance, "Premier", also comes as a vac-filler. For a well restored one, expect to pay more than for a PFM in a similar condition. They don't have inlaid nibs, either.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

The OS Balance and PFM are both fantastic pens and both are large, but they are otherwise very different pens.  As silverlifter noted, the OS Balance is available as both a lever-filler and vac-filler, but is an open gold nib.  The PFM has the distinctive inlaid nib (gold or palladium), but is a snorkel filler.  I love both, but they're kind of apples and oranges.  

Thanks to dadbar for putting numbers into the mix. While terms like girthy and hefty are colorful in a description, for a person sitting miles away with no example pens to handle and examine, they are vague enough to be meaningless. Simple measurements of size and weight are a godsend to someone trying to compare a pen they don't have with one they do.

Back to the topic, this is close to my heart, as it was the finding of modest weight but larger (gripping) diameter pens that finally gave me the tools to write comfortable for hours on end. Coupled with a love for Sheaffer that started with my pen in middle school (in the middle 60s), it all came together. For extended and daily writing, I have a nice gathering of the aforementioned Balance OS, PFM and Legacy models. Yes, there are a lot of functional and design difference between the early Balance and the more modern pens, but with a gripping area in the 11mm+ range, they are remarkably comfortable, especially for larger hands. When in good tune and order, the nibs from the 20s and 30s haven't been surpassed.

One thing to mix in with these vintage options are the slightly earlier Sheaffer Flattop pens. I don't believe they referred to any models as "Oversized", but the largest ones, like the 8C, have similarly-sized sections and the pens are the same length, just not pointy ends! Remarkable and big gold nibs which, unless they have been severely abused, clean up and present and write as good as it gets.

Lastly, for modern pens, both the "88" and Optima lines by Aurora are pens with sections that taper from 10mm to 11.5mm or so, and the sections are very long and comfortable to hold. Some of the best Italian nibs made, especially if you like a little feedback. Not Sheaffer but I felt this worth suggesting for writing comfort.

Good luck to the OP. While some of these can go for higher sums, it is still possible to find some of the Balance OS, unrestored, for around $100 or so on eBay. PFMs and Legacys are still sought after and usually are around $300. I can't tell someone else if a pen is worth it. that is up to them and their finances. That said... they are.

P.S. I just realized: another pen that carries a very similar look to the Sheaffer inlaid nibs is the Waterman Carene. I measured mine and the section is 11.2mm at the widest, and have a very long, gentle taper towards the nib end. Well-balanced in hand and a good writer. Not certain of current street prices, but another to consider.

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I have two Oversize, one with a sensational broad oblique nib.  (I must get it out and use it!).  The other is a jade with too fine a nib for me but I hang on to it because it's just a great looking pen.  I have a Legacy which is near perfect size for me as well as quite a few Imperials including my favourite Cadmium Yellow...  I think the inlaid nib is a beautiful design, but despite loving their design and looks, the Imperials are just a tad 'thin' for me.  

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• 4 weeks later...

Great topic that I am also interested in. Though I have a few vintage Sheaffers, a Lifetime Triumph, a Tuckaway and a Balance 350, they are all on the small size. I love how they write but would love a larger pen. Perhaps a PFM is in my future?

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade