Similar Watery Feel to Gris Nuage but Different Colors

DanHD

I love Gris Nuage.  It's so watery and shades beautifully.  I write with it in a Pilot Parallel Pen 1.5mm.  

When it dries it has sort of a "halo" effect.  Almost like light is coming from within.

Do you have any recommendations on Herbin or other brand inks that have a similar watery effervescent feel?  Readability isn't a priority here, just feeling the joy of the ink.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DanHD

• ENewton

• PithyProlix

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pilot Iroshizuku Chiku-rin?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Assuming I understand what you are getting at I think maybe Herbin Bouquet D'Antan and Vert Olive. I love Gris Nuage, Bouquet D'Antan, and Vert Olive (especially the first two) for broad nib or flex nib calligraphy but do not like them at all for normal writing. (I suspect Bouquet D'Antan and Vert Olive polarize people - either you really like the colors or you really don't.)

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

You might consider Sailor Kobe #7 Himeajisai and #21 Taisanji Yellow.  The shading effects can be dramatic, depending on the pen.  Do an image search and you'll see.

8 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Assuming I understand what you are getting at I think maybe Herbin Bouquet D'Antan and Vert Olive. I love Gris Nuage, Bouquet D'Antan, and Vert Olive (especially the first two) for broad nib or flex nib calligraphy but do not like them at all for normal writing. (I suspect Bouquet D'Antan and Vert Olive polarize people - either you really like the colors or you really don't.)

Thanks PP.  I love Bouguet D'Antan too.  I had it in an ECO broad and now a stub too and it's a beauty in those wide nibs.  I don't think I've tried Vert Olive and I will!  I've only tried Vert Empire which was interesting but a pass for me.

1 hour ago, ENewton said:

You might consider Sailor Kobe #7 Himeajisai and #21 Taisanji Yellow.  The shading effects can be dramatic, depending on the pen.  Do an image search and you'll see.

Thanks ENewton, I'll give those a try too.  

18 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Pilot Iroshizuku Chiku-rin?

That looks really fun SD.  It seems like Iroshizuku bottles are slowly taking over my shelf :)

Ferris Wheel Press has a few of these that may work for you: Lady Rose, Cream of Earl, and Strawberry Macaron.

1 hour ago, VivaTerlingua said:

Ferris Wheel Press has a few of these that may work for you: Lady Rose, Cream of Earl, and Strawberry Macaron.

I'd second that - in fact most of the FWP inks I've tried have been pretty much unusable for ordinary writing, but nice for drawing and very broad nib calligraphy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up on my findings so far:

Chiku-Rin:  Very nice light cool green

Vert Olive:  Very nice light warm green

I'm not sure on the dried color.  It reminds me of baby food for some reason.

But it sure is radiant and joyful.

Sailor DS 123:  Watery light violet

All three of the above fit the bill nicely.

The following were a little to light and dry:

Manyo Nekoyanagi

Manyo Ha Ha

Others:

Sailor Kobe #7 Himeajisai and #21 Taisanji Yellow.  I didn't see either of these with my regular vendors (Goulet and Van Ness) but I'll try others sellers.

Ferris Wheel Press:  Will try eventually.

3 hours ago, DanHD said:

Sailor Kobe #7 Himeajisai and #21 Taisanji Yellow.  I didn't see either of these with my regular vendors (Goulet and Van Ness) but I'll try others sellers.

I see both on the Van Ness site.  Note that Himeajisai is #57.

On 3/24/2021 at 6:28 PM, ENewton said:

I see both on the Van Ness site.  Note that Himeajisai is #57.

Thanks ENewton!  I'll check back.

I think, despite my previous comment, the Vert Olive is the most compelling so far.  It glows.  Here's a sample on Tomoe River with a Kaweco Sport Stub and Platinum Preppy medium.

tmp_ink.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 7:07 AM, VivaTerlingua said:

I just bought a big bottle of Lady Rose.  I'd call it "Grandma's musty old parlor drinking luke warm tea and it's getting a bit warm (can someone open a window?)" 

Jokes aside, it's very captivating to me.  Then of course the packaging is over the top and I showed it to my wife and she was definitely on board at that point. It'll be fun to open it together.  I think this ink will be fun mainly for play and artwork.

I tried Ferris Wheel Cream of Earl yesterday, and it is very light.  I know I mentioned up front that legibility wasn't a huge concern, but this one is pretty difficult.  VivaTerlingua and others, how do you use this ink, i.e. what pen or brush?

I think I'm going to try it in a water brush and  use it in drawings as a wash.

I also tried Kobe  #21 Taisanji Yellow.  It feels like a cross between Sepia and yellow.  I like it but need to play some more.  I have Apache Sunset, Golden Brown, and Diamine Sepia and though it's different than all of the above, I'm wondering if it's worthy of another bottle.  It's definitely legible and has great shading and luminescence.

Here are a couple writing samples of Lady Rose and Cream of Earl (not "Earl of Gray" that's in my writing).  It's on Tomoe River with Parallel Pens.

tmp_fw.jpg