Appelboom shop in Boston (formerly Bromfield Pen Shop)

Paul-in-SF

Looks like I'll have an excuse to visit. Lived there for a few years and had no idea a pen shop was there!

The current setup

1. Conid Regular AntwerpPen/Naginata Cross Concord- Sailor Nioi-Sumire (two years and counting!)

2. 1920-something Wahl-Eversharp BCHR Oversize Gold Seal/Manifold- Aurora Black

3. Pelikan M800 Tortoise/O3B- Kobe Ginza gold sepia

1936 Vacumatic Oversize Brown Pearl- Rest in (several) pieces. You will be missed!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Gloucesterman

• Intensity

• Paul-in-SF

I've managed to go there a couple of times on trips to the greater Boston area, but have not had a chance to go since the store changed hands.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 1 month later...

I visited Appelboom on Bromfield Street two weeks ago (I live in the Boston area, and my office location is nearby in Government Center).  Essentially, they moved the existing Bromfield Pen stock from #5 Bromfield to #49.  Pens and higher-priced items are in the same display cases, and inks and lower-priced items are in the back.  The area behind the counter is much smaller, and ballpoint and roller refills are on the walls in the customer area.

The staff in the store were their usual pleasant selves, and it felt just like Bromfield in a new location.  I bought some inks that I've been meaning to pick up , and headed back to work.

I think that they'll be working on distributor relationships and improving the store over time, but right now there aren't any substantive changes.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Fountain Pen Day 20% discount used! (probably today 11/5/21 only)

Just purchased, impulsively, some pens, ink and a 14K gold nib sized for a M200/400 Pelikan. It came with free shipping. Although I live in the greater Boston area and occasionally travel to Boston I really did not feel the urge to to go into the city.

I could have easily bought more as their prices are generally quite good on some items and the FP Day 20% discount definitely put me in a buying mode. The only thing that kept my purchase "down" was the fact that I am planning a "grail type" purchase later in November or December.

I am looking forward to visiting the store in person although I am unsure when that trip will occur.

No affiliation with this dealer and I encourage others to visit and explore their site and offerings.

Thank You Appelboom!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

22 hours ago, Kalessin said:

I visited Appelboom on Bromfield Street two weeks ago (I live in the Boston area, and my office location is nearby in Government Center).  Essentially, they moved the existing Bromfield Pen stock from #5 Bromfield to #49.  Pens and higher-priced items are in the same display cases, and inks and lower-priced items are in the back.  The area behind the counter is much smaller, and ballpoint and roller refills are on the walls in the customer area.

The staff in the store were their usual pleasant selves, and it felt just like Bromfield in a new location.  I bought some inks that I've been meaning to pick up , and headed back to work.

I think that they'll be working on distributor relationships and improving the store over time, but right now there aren't any substantive changes.

Thanks for the info, Kalessin.  I've been to their old location a couple of times in the past, but now that my mother-in-law has passed, and her house sold, I don't have as much reason to go to the Boston area as I used to.  

Is the new location closer to, or farther from, the Park St. T-stop (on Tremont, by the Boston Commons)?  Just in case I do manage to get up there (my husband still probably has to make a trip or two to the area to clear more boxes of paperwork out of the storage unit one of his brothers rented to clear stuff from the house so as to put it on the market).

edited for typos

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

7 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Thanks for the info, Kalessin.  I've been to their old location a couple of times in the past, but now that my mother-in-law has passed, and her house sold, I don't have as much reason to go to the Boston area as I used to.  

Is the new location closer to, or farther from, the Park St. T-stop (on Tremont, by the Boston Commons)?  Just in case I do manage to get up there (my husband still probably has to make a trip or two to the area to clear more boxes of paperwork out of the storage unit one of his brothers rented to clear stuff from the house so as to put it on the market).

Hi Ruth, the new location is a bit closer to the Park Street station. They are probably 50 yards (estimated) away from their former site. Check out my posting above...

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Duplicate post... oops!

Where are they in relation to that collectibles store that I remember passing on the way there from the T-stop?  The place (which was in the previous block to Bromfield's old location) mostly sold stuff like baseball cards, but one time, walking back from Bromfield's, I noticed what turned out to be an Esterbrook dip pen set (!) in the window -- two pen barrels, about 8 or 10 different nibs, and the display card they were on.  Just wish now I knew where I stashed them in my house.... :headsmack:

10 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Where are they in relation to that collectibles store that I remember passing on the way there from the T-stop?  The place (which was in the previous block to Bromfield's old location) mostly sold stuff like baseball cards, but one time, walking back from Bromfield's, I noticed what turned out to be an Esterbrook dip pen set (!) in the window -- two pen barrels, about 8 or 10 different nibs, and the display card they were on.  Just wish now I knew where I stashed them in my house.... :headsmack:

Probably in that same block. Not sure if it might be in that location. It's about half the distance from the old store site to the corner of Bromfield and Tremont Street... the "cross" street as you are walking toward the Park Street subway stop.

How does one order from them? Is it a matter of just going to Appelboom's site, placing an order, and having the system recognize a USA address?

Or is it only the local pickup ones that come from the shop? And everthing else still ships from Europe?🤔

That's correct, you put in your shipping address on the main (and only) site, and you will see shipping options during check-out.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”