Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Appelboom shop in Boston (formerly Bromfield Pen Shop)

Paul-in-SF

This was announced today via YouTube (and possibly in other ways) here: 

Note: Joost's voice is hard to hear over the background music. 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul-in-SF

• inkstainedruth

• Linger

• Gloucesterman

Yeah, I watched the video too. I'm in nh and will visit them as soon as Covid becomes less of an issue. Hope it is a successful venture for them, as I have bought from them in the past.

Otter1

Welcome to the US of A. So happy to have another pen shop in our midst. I hope to visit you one day very soon!

JohnUphill

My first thought was, “How will this affect their Pelikan pricing?”

I wish them great success in this new venture.

I thought the same thing. The EU/US price arbitrage due to different VAT/sales tax regulations will no longer apply. No doubt their customer service will be as good in Boston as it is in Laren, but the leverage to compete on price is gone.

stevesurf

Please tell me they kept their personnel.  I enjoyed my visits there - Mary was always so helpful!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

inkstainedruth

So does this mean that they're buying Bromfield's?  Or just that they'll be a partner?  

I was just in Bromfield's about 6 months ago (we drove my mother-in-law's live-in caregiver back up to the Boston Metrowest area from central PA, so she wouldn't have to deal with travel issues), and one of the days we were in Massachusetts, I took the train into Boston and went to Bromfield's and then on into Harvard Square to Bob Slate Stationers....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, that is an interesting development! Seems encouraging! 

Hmm, if you click bromfieldpenshop.com you are redirected to the appelboom homesite...no specific information on the boston store anymore/yet...

Maloney

The Bromfield shop is located on one of those old Boston side streets. The location has charm( close to Boston Common , the historic churches and graveyards, Beacon Hill) much more than the high rise Berlin Walls that continue to erase the sky on Boston.

Paul-in-SF
7 hours ago, Linger said:

Hmm, if you click bromfieldpenshop.com you are redirected to the appelboom homesite...no specific information on the boston store anymore/yet...

If you scroll all the way to the bottom, in the contacts area they have the Boston address and phone number, but that seems to be it. The Appelboom site doesn't seem to have anything particularly about their Laren store either, except the address and telehone. 

15 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

So does this mean that they're buying Bromfield's?  Or just that they'll be a partner?  

I was just in Bromfield's about 6 months ago...

It sure looks like they bought Bromfield's. Next time you go, I'd be interested to hear what, if anything, has changed in the store. 

Which all reminds me that it's long past time for me to go visit our only little pen shop, Maido, and drop a few dollars. 

Pengrump

Bromfield was/is my local pen shop. Haven't been in for a while because of lockdown (I'm old so I don't go into stores if I can help it.) This acquisition by Appelboom is actually kid of exciting since I have dealt with Appelboom via the internet and enjoyed my purchases and interactions with them. I was wondering how long the owner of Bromfield could keep the store going. I hope  he has a happy and healthy retirement.

inkstainedruth
4 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

If you scroll all the way to the bottom, in the contacts area they have the Boston address and phone number, but that seems to be it. The Appelboom site doesn't seem to have anything particularly about their Laren store either, except the address and telehone. 

It sure looks like they bought Bromfield's. Next time you go, I'd be interested to hear what, if anything, has changed in the store. 

Which all reminds me that it's long past time for me to go visit our only little pen shop, Maido, and drop a few dollars. 

Not sure when or if that's going to be.  Since my mother-in-law died in February, there's not a lot of reason to go to Massachusetts now (my one brother-in-law still lives near the Cape, but unless one of his daughters gets married anytime soon, I don't have much reason to go up there).  Even the two times I attended the Commonwealth Pen Show was wrapped into family trips, as well as the two times I got to Bromfield's.  

But I'm sort of nostalgic, all the same -- I got my first Pilot Metropolitan there, and was able to try pens, which meant that I picked the M nib instead of the F nib (the stub nib Metropolitans weren't on the market yet, I don't think).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Intensity

Whoah!  This is one of my local pen shops, though I haven't visited since the pandemic started early last year.  Interesting!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• 1 month later...
penotaku

I have been going to this shop since the 80s. It was bought by Appelboom but as far as I can tell hasn't changed in any other way. Same folks. Great inventory. Same eclectic vibe. Same knowledgable and helpful people. I was happy to see this change, because I figured they had to be struggling a bit (and also getting older) even before Covid, and I'd hate to see them go. So looks like they are going to be here for a good while yet. I actually have gone recently and while parking still is pain, Covid didn't seem to be too much of a factor. Everyone wore masks and customer traffic is light. Bromfield Street is pretty funky though. It used to be even more funky with coin shops, and a joke shop (magic tricks and novelties) and a 3 person bar around the corner. But that's all gone now. Glad the been shop survives. 

Gloucesterman

Probably going to end up making a special trip to revisit.

Also, around the corner is the BEST deli sandwiches in Boston and, according to one friend (a former New York "Cityer") the best anywhere...!

It's less than a block away and called Sam Lagrassas . Very limited hours and only Monday - Friday. Sandwiches are expensive AND worth the cost -IMHO.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• 4 months later...

They had a table at the Commonwealth Pen Show with flyers giving their new address.