Montblanc 149 pre owned never inked

James-B

2 hours ago, James-B said:

Joost seems like such a nice guy and I'm so glad that I decided with everyone's help on FP Network to buy a new one. I am a little concerned however since I only started this hobby about 3 months ago and already have about 14 pens. It's like an addiction. It started with a Montblanc Star Walker the one with the finial that floats in space for $400 and then Pilots and Pelikans and now a 149 and each time the cost for each pen goes higher. Hahahah I don't think there's a cure and it's nice to be on here to share this passion with others that are crazy too. 

IMG_20210303_185659_122.jpg

Nice collection James.

Perhaps you can review some of your new pen acquisitions.

I   am interested in how that new 149 is gonna feel and write. I have not seen  new 149 review for sometime.  

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James-B

• samasry

• zaddick

• Uncial

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, James-B said:

Joost seems like such a nice guy and I'm so glad that I decided with everyone's help on FP Network to buy a new one. I am a little concerned however since I only started this hobby about 3 months ago and already have about 14 pens. It's like an addiction. It started with a Montblanc Star Walker the one with the finial that floats in space for $400 and then Pilots and Pelikans and now a 149 and each time the cost for each pen goes higher. Hahahah I don't think there's a cure and it's nice to be on here to share this passion with others that are crazy too. 

IMG_20210303_185659_122.jpg

I see you still have room for 3 more pens after the 149 arrives. So what's next? Do you love some basaltic lava perhaps? How about some arco? :P

No, there is no cure and this is the wrong place for advice on restraint. 

IMG_20200803_014459_263.jpg

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

8 hours ago, zaddick said:

No, there is no cure and this is the wrong place for advice on restraint. 

IMG_20200803_014459_263.jpg

I am assuming this is   just  part of a single  color  of  a single  pen model within the  collection  :)

11 hours ago, salmasry said:

Nice collection James.

Perhaps you can review some of your new pen acquisitions.

I   am interested in how that new 149 is gonna feel and write. I have not seen  new 149 review for sometime.  

Sure I would be happy to do a review when my new 149 arrives. I am surprised that the 149 is not Celluloid  and the feed is now plastic and not ebonite. For a pen that is supposed to be one of the best I would think everything used in making the pen would be the very best. 

So far my favorites are my pilots. 823 and 845. The writing experience is amazing. They glide over the paper. Silky smooth no feedback. Some may not like them because they are so smooth but I adore them. If you don't have a pilot 823 buy one. The 845 is awsome in red Vermilion Urushi. 

I don't have any Visconti yet (looking at the Homosapiens) I hear bad things about there quality control but a pen made from a volcano lava is a must have. Would love to hear from those that have one. 

Also don't have a Sailor. I like the look of the Sailor Pro Gear line. Also would like to hear from those of you that have Sailors. 

Such an amazing new hobby. Looking forward to my first pen show. 

Want to thank all of you on this site. I have learned so much from all of you 

4 hours ago, James-B said:

Sure I would be happy to do a review when my new 149 arrives. I am surprised that the 149 is not Celluloid  and the feed is now plastic and not ebonite. For a pen that is supposed to be one of the best I would think everything used in making the pen would be the very best. 

So far my favorites are my pilots. 823 and 845. The writing experience is amazing. They glide over the paper. Silky smooth no feedback. Some may not like them because they are so smooth but I adore them. If you don't have a pilot 823 buy one. The 845 is awsome in red Vermilion Urushi. 

I don't have any Visconti yet (looking at the Homosapiens) I hear bad things about there quality control but a pen made from a volcano lava is a must have. Would love to hear from those that have one. 

Also don't have a Sailor. I like the look of the Sailor Pro Gear line. Also would like to hear from those of you that have Sailors. 

Such an amazing new hobby. Looking forward to my first pen show. 

Want to thank all of you on this site. I have learned so much from all of you 

I do not have the 823, perhaps I can put it on my wish list for the future.  If you do not mind sharing, what was the price of the 845 and where did you get it?

I do not have any Visconti, but I do have an entire navy  :),  Sailor pens are famous for that special  Sailor feedback, none of my Sailors came with  a silky smooth nib out of the box, so you probably need to factor that in your expectations  when  you consider Sailor pens. I do stick to Medium and Fine nibs, so perhaps Broad is smoother, I do not have first hand experience.  

On the other hand, since KOP from Sailor is a whole  experience in itself, and you like the pro gear variety, perhaps you can try  the gold accent pro gear KOP  with dual toned nibs.  In my experience the silver toned nibs are more feedbacky than the dual tone nibs.  The Ebonite KOP is divine, but it is cigar shaped and hard to find these days.

Celluloid isn't necessarily the best material. It has a shorter 'shelf life' than resin plastic and can be problematic if there is a curing issue. Of all plastic pens I find the MB resin plastic the closest in feel to celluloid. It has the tactile aspect but minus the weight. Ebonite feeds are something I can't get overly excited about. I find some of them can actually effect the flow. This is most noticeable on Montegrappa where the ebonite feed needs a good few soakings before it regulates its flow. Also, like celluloid, ebonite has a shelf life and can crack and crumble given time, in a way that plastics won't.

3 hours ago, Uncial said:

Celluloid isn't necessarily the best material. It has a shorter 'shelf life' than resin plastic and can be problematic if there is a curing issue. Of all plastic pens I find the MB resin plastic the closest in feel to celluloid. It has the tactile aspect but minus the weight. Ebonite feeds are something I can't get overly excited about. I find some of them can actually effect the flow. This is most noticeable on Montegrappa where the ebonite feed needs a good few soakings before it regulates its flow. Also, like celluloid, ebonite has a shelf life and can crack and crumble given time, in a way that plastics won't.

Thanks so much for educating us. Those are all very interesting things I did not know 

4 hours ago, salmasry said:

I do not have the 823, perhaps I can put it on my wish list for the future.  If you do not mind sharing, what was the price of the 845 and where did you get it?

I do not have any Visconti, but I do have an entire navy  :),  Sailor pens are famous for that special  Sailor feedback, none of my Sailors came with  a silky smooth nib out of the box, so you probably need to factor that in your expectations  when  you consider Sailor pens. I do stick to Medium and Fine nibs, so perhaps Broad is smoother, I do not have first hand experience.  

On the other hand, since KOP from Sailor is a whole  experience in itself, and you like the pro gear variety, perhaps you can try  the gold accent pro gear KOP  with dual toned nibs.  In my experience the silver toned nibs are more feedbacky than the dual tone nibs.  The Ebonite KOP is divine, but it is cigar shaped and hard to find these days.

I bought my 845 from Amazon.jp.com for $487 US dollars.  You may have to search on the Japanese site for a few days to find a seller but it's worth it because of the price discount. You definitely should add the 823 to your wish list you will be very happy.  I do have my eye on a KOP. I really need to get a Sailor and give it a try next.