Carolartist

Hello

I am trying to research permanent and waterproof inks for fountain pens.

I am an artist and I am on a quest for the past three years to find the perfect brown to lay OVER watercolor paintings. Not ink first than watercolor. Watercolor first then ink.

My goal is to match the hue of the India ink I used in rapidographs Higgins Brown. Yes I know, not to use India ink in fountain pens.

Noodler’s Walnut, DeAtramentis Document Brown, Noodlers Black, Platinum Carbon Black are all too dark.

I’ve given up and I’m now using Birmingham Pen Co Soft Pretzel because it’s the brown I want - but it’s not lightfast or waterproof. I have to immediately place the finished work in plastic and in a box. Not good to display ever. 

Questions 

1. Will DeAtramentis Dilution ink work to lighten an inks hue?

2. Am I limited to just DeAtrementis Document inks or can I use it on Noodlers, Diamine, Birmingham inks as well?

3. Any advise?

samples attached

A49504D7-2EA1-4249-A010-3050BA48F4E4.png

1E3E4FD9-185A-42DC-8376-2F6101307440.jpeg

973DD900-1CE6-449E-92F0-69277FEF2990.jpeg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• LizEF

• Carolartist

• yazeh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Noodler's has several bulletproof browns. Check them up.

I use Polar Brown. It might stain demonstrators. 

Here's a sample writing I did for someone else: 

345501466_POlarbrown.thumb.jpeg.1294deda604a0ed79c2ed524b180c2d3.jpeg

Roherer and Klingner Sketchink have  several lightproof/waterproof browns too. Lily and Thea might be up your alley...

They also have a DOKUMENTUS range.

You should only use DeAtramentis dilution fluid with document inks or other inks that can't be diluted with water. Dilute Birmingham or other dye based inks with water.

I think the ink question's been very well answered - but can I just say how much I like the picture!!

De Atramentis Document inks come in sufficient colors, including white, that with them and the dilution liquid, you should be able to mix pretty much any color - though it may be time-consuming and not as easy as mixing the paints artists are familiar with.  Jane Blundell has multiple pages on the topic: https://janeblundellart.blogspot.com/2014/11/mixing-document-inks.html

Love the pictures!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 months later...

👍  nice sketch.  that's a nice sepia-like brown.  never tried any Birmingham Pen Co. inks before.  i shall look into their ink color choices.

-rudy-

Some pens will produce inks much lighter, I've had good luck with Lamy Studios with EF nibs, I consistently get much lighter versions of Kon Peki, Ama Iro and Vert Empire; you could then use whichever brown ink you want.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

On 3/8/2021 at 10:25 PM, LizEF said:

:) Nice to see you back.

Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 months later...

I have the polar brown. I agree on the color being similar to what you posted, and I'll vouch for the waterproofness, I don't have running color if it gets wet.  But on several mixed media and watercolor papers, especially with the charlie pen I use to test it which has unreliable flow and burp issues, the polar brown feathers unpredictably.  I have used Canson XL watercolor & mixed media paper, also Fabriano studio 25% cotton paper and all three have h\shown some feathering.  I'd grab a sample vial someplace and do some sketches with your particular technique to see if it works- and it MIGHT- because you plan on inking OVER the wash.  I find that my inks generally are sharper over washes.  it may be the gum arabic in the watercolor or whatever binder in the paint creates a primed surface for the ink overlay.  it's just a guess.  but if I go with an extrafine nib from an unpainted area over a painted area, the line immediately broadens and gets a little crisper, like it is laying on top of the watercolored area but bonding with the paper where it is still bare.