Quink inks

theverdictis

10 hours ago, Larry Barrieau said:

these permanent Quinks from the 1940's (the bottles have those deco shoulders

Out of curiosity...

I have a 4 oz. bottle of permanent Royal Blue in what I'm assuming is the same style bottle(round-ish but squared off on top and sort of a square overall profile with flutes running up the sides) with a metal cap.

My Permanent Royal Blue is a sort of denim color perhaps lighter than but not totally unlike modern Quink B-B. It's not at all an unpleasant color, but is not what I'd call "Royal Blue"(especially compared to other inks with that name like Pelikan and Montblanc).

I have a 61 Cap now filled with Permanent Blue Black from that same style bottle(albeit with a plastic cap). It's definitely more of a traditional dark blue fringing on black color.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bunnspecial

• corniche

• TheRedBeard

• inkstainedruth

On 3/30/2021 at 11:18 AM, bunnspecial said:

Out of curiosity...

I have a 4 oz. bottle of permanent Royal Blue in what I'm assuming is the same style bottle(round-ish but squared off on top and sort of a square overall profile with flutes running up the sides) with a metal cap.

My Permanent Royal Blue is a sort of denim color perhaps lighter than but not totally unlike modern Quink B-B. It's not at all an unpleasant color, but is not what I'd call "Royal Blue"(especially compared to other inks with that name like Pelikan and Montblanc).

I have a 61 Cap now filled with Permanent Blue Black from that same style bottle(albeit with a plastic cap). It's definitely more of a traditional dark blue fringing on black color.

Any ink in the art-deco bottles probably goes back to the 1940s. That is old. Unless the bottle was perfectly sealed, the color will sink toward gray and black. I have found that the art deco bottles with plastic caps hold their color a bit better. 

I tried a bottle of the famous Superchrome last summer. My Blue-Black looks just the way a blue-black should. For the curious, Superchrome, successor to Parker 51 Ink, had three-to-ten times the coloring elements that ordinary inks had. It seems pretty nearly water-proof, and I tried. 

Don't run to try it, though: Parker withdrew Superchrome about 1956 because could easily ruin a pen. Parker's advertising warned buyers from using P51 / Superchrome in anything but a Parker 51. Repair people have, since then, found that Superchrome eats away the silver breather tubes in the aerometric P-51. 

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Hi

I collect Parker Ink and they have made many colours other than the basic Black. Blue-Black & Blue.

Until recently Parker made a wider range in Mini Cartridges, including Pink, Purple, Red & Turquoise.

In the 1940s & 50s they had a larger range, mostly made in USA. Including Washable colours of Brown, Violet and Green

Why don't they make then today: Money! The standard Blacks & Blues sell in just enough quantities to keep the product viable. Add to this that Parker Ink is made in France in the same factory as Waterman Inks and the economies of scale probaly favour ink runs for both makes using very similar materials.

Here are a couple of pictures of just a small amount of what used to be available.

447012459_2ozCollection-IMG_5279.thumb.jpg.c57199bf49224ad61f3d25cb7245186a.jpg1876468471_2ozUSBlueCollectionIMG_4337xx.thumb.jpg.e3a22f0d24a9816b7c8e7701c179cf43.jpg

Hugo at The Old Pen Shop.

It may sound like treason, but has anyone found a good "old" Quink Blue-Black replacement.  The modern Blue-Black of course looks nothing like the original.   I have four bottles of the old Solv-X Blue-Black left, but it's getting hard to find.  

Owner of many fine Parker fountain pens... and one Lamy.

2 hours ago, ParkersAndPaper said:

It may sound like treason, but has anyone found a good "old" Quink Blue-Black replacement.  The modern Blue-Black of course looks nothing like the original.   I have four bottles of the old Solv-X Blue-Black left, but it's getting hard to find.  

I would also like to know this; I didn't grow up with the "old" Quink, and haven't used it - but I would like to, because of how much praise for it I've read here. I have read that the Camel inks from India (which you can find on eBay) might be the old Parker recipe, but I haven't pulled the trigger on a bottle yet. 

IIRC, a ways up thread (or maybe in a parallel thread) @bunnspecial was getting some samples of India-made "Quink" for testing. I'm looking forward to those results! 

2 minutes ago, Paganini said:

IIRC, a ways up thread (or maybe in a parallel thread) @bunnspecial was getting some samples of India-made "Quink" for testing. I'm looking forward to those results! 

I actually didn't realize that's what I was getting when I bought it. I just saw 2x30mL bottles on Amazon for less than a single 50mL bottle and bought it.

In any case, I'll try to swab and otherwise compare it to some old(new-ish-maybe 80s or 90s) Washable Blue Solv-X and current Washable Blue. IIRC, the Indian-made bottles don't say washable or permanent but rather just "Blue." It smells similar to my newer Solv-X Blue bottle, but doesn't have the strong "chemically" smell of my old art deco bottles of permanent blue and blue-black.

5 hours ago, Paganini said:

I would also like to know this; I didn't grow up with the "old" Quink, and haven't used it - but I would like to, because of how much praise for it I've read here. I have read that the Camel inks from India (which you can find on eBay) might be the old Parker recipe, but I haven't pulled the trigger on a bottle yet. 

Maybe current Quink Blue-Black is a good replacement for Quink with Solv-X Blue-Black?

I remembered discussion saying that Parker Blue-Black, recently, might have been reformulated to have a blue base. Before this, Quink's Blue-Black was a greenish base, Long before that, Blue-Black was a dark blue, without the teal hints.

Here's the post: 

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Old Pen Shop - a whole new range with all the old colours plus brown is coming this year - there is a picture of the catalogue in a post near the start of this thread!

John

Here is a sample of my 1940's permanent Quinks.

IMG_9642.jpg

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

• 6 months later...
On 3/8/2021 at 11:21 AM, TheRedBeard said:

As far as I remember, Jerome K. Jerome in one of his novels about British theatre mentioned a few stereotypes used in dramas that days including one that main villain had to use green inks :)

That was part of the plot of an Agatha Christie mystery -- the first victim had originally been presumed to have killed herself and left a suicide note; but the note was not written in the green ink she had swiped a fill of from someone else's bottle (the note was actually an apology for to the fellow tenants of a youth hostel for her having been a kleptomaniac).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 4/12/2021 at 1:27 PM, Larry Barrieau said:

Here is a sample of my 1940's permanent Quinks.

IMG_9642.jpg

Your sample of the vintage Permanent Green looks a lot like the bottle I have (forget if mine is Washable Green or Permanent Green).  I'm trying to remember now if I still even have it, or gave it away (I found it in an antiques mall in the next county a couple of years ago) because I hate the color so much.  

Forget if it was this thread, or the newer thread that someone linked this thread to, but someone said they liked Quink Green because it didn't lean blue-ish and I was wondering what was wrong with the person's eyes -- I see a LOT of blue undertones in in your photo, and a LOT of the same blue undertones in that bottle of vintage Quink Green that I picked up....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."