Quink inks

theverdictis

Dear all,

Apologies if this has already been asked but why don't Parker produce any further inks rather than black, blue/black and blue. Did they used to? Or has the range always been this limited? 

Ben

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bunnspecial

• corniche

• TheRedBeard

• inkstainedruth

Until recently, they also made green and red. In the fifties, they had more: a royal blue, brown...

As to why they don't make more colors today, I suppose they no longer find it profitable. They are owned by the same company (Newell Brands) that owns Waterman, and Waterman still has a good variety. 

6 minutes ago, dan in montreal said:

Until recently, they also made green and red. In the fifties, they had more: a royal blue, brown...

In the past..Turquoise.. Washable Black...also...😉

42 minutes ago, dan in montreal said:

As to why they don't make more colors today, I suppose they no longer find it profitable. They are owned by the same company (Newell Brands) that owns Waterman, and Waterman still has a good variety. 

As I recently found, Parker Quink Green was discontinued about 20 years ago.

I should agree with you on possible reasons: commercial inexpediency.

However, while Waterman inks are not bad, I found their Green not "green" but "green-blueish".

On another thread in Ink subforum of the FPN, people recommended some alternatives, and I bought Diamine  Sherwood Green but di dnot try it so far.

All the best is only beginning now...

Blue, Blue Black and Black inks are popular and generally used (Pens and F. Pens).

We are f. pens collectors and We prefer more "sophisticated" colors and we love variety of colors ...That is not popular and not commercially convenient in a mass production. Pen collectors is small world, a fountain pen collectors even smaller world...an so on..

Regards

I'm surprised that any ink is commercially viable, in this day and age.

Obviously, there are boutique inks, made in small batches and sold at relatively high prices - I guess I can understand how these can be profitable. But, for a large company to continue to supply ink for the mass market - well, as I say, it surprises me that I can still readily buy it, on the High Street.

I used fountain pens as writing instruments for years, before I 'got into' them, as a hobby.

And I always used Parker Quink, for everything. I know it has many naysayers, but I've never had a problem with it and always have a bottle kicking around, somewhere.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the replies. I suppose I can understand, shame as I have always liked Quink ink and would love it to come in a variety of colours. Hey ho. 

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

2 hours ago, TheRedBeard said:

As I recently found, Parker Quink Green was discontinued about 20 years ago.

I should agree with you on possible reasons: commercial inexpediency.

However, while Waterman inks are not bad, I found their Green not "green" but "green-blueish".

On another thread in Ink subforum of the FPN, people recommended some alternatives, and I bought Diamine  Sherwood Green but di dnot try it so far.

Red and Green were discontinued around 2006 or 2007, based at least on this thread.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/7758-parker-quink-red-green-discontinued-soon/

Even then, they were getting hard to find.

4 hours ago, baz666 said:

A snip from the 2021 Parker trade catalogue.

Parker Ink 2021.jpg

News to me, thanks for posting. I'd be interested to know how they compare to current Waterman inks - pretty much the same lineup. 30 ml - I wonder how these will be priced.

10 minutes ago, baz666 said:

Parker Ink 2021.jpg

Is this on the Parker website as I can only find black, blue/black and blue bottle inks. 

Cool to know there's a slightly range. Thanks for sharing. 

Don't forget Penman inks, which came in other colors, although Sapphire(blue) is "the" ink from that range.

As a side note, don't forget that boutique inks don't HAVE to be expensive. I'm not a big Noodler's user, but I do consider them boutique inks and they are probably the least expensive per volume of any ink available in the US(there have been posts recently about some super inexpensive Indian made inks, and the 1L bottles of Pelikan probably come close to Noodler's prices if not a bit less). On the other hand, if you want to see nutty ink prices, look at the Elixir inks from Montblanc...

1 hour ago, theverdictis said:

Is this on the Parker website as I can only find black, blue/black and blue bottle inks. 

Cool to know there's a slightly range. Thanks for sharing. 

The full catalogue is on Tony's website, here's the link.

Parker Catalogue.

Paul.

1 hour ago, dan in montreal said:

Red and Green were discontinued around 2006 or 2007, based at least on this thread.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/7758-parker-quink-red-green-discontinued-soon/

Even then, they were getting hard to find.

Oh, I see, thanks.

Last time I bought Quink Green cartridges (not bottles) around 2001-2002.

And someone on FPN told me they were discontinued then.

As far as I remember, I failed to find Green in 2007...

1 hour ago, baz666 said:

Parker Ink 2021.jpg

Thanks for this info :)

There is Green Jade ink there... but I have not found it at any online shops so far.

2 hours ago, CS388 said:

I'm surprised that any ink is commercially viable, in this day and age.

Obviously, there are boutique inks, made in small batches and sold at relatively high prices - I guess I can understand how these can be profitable. But, for a large company to continue to supply ink for the mass market - well, as I say, it surprises me that I can still readily buy it, on the High Street.

I used fountain pens as writing instruments for years, before I 'got into' them, as a hobby.

And I always used Parker Quink, for everything. I know it has many naysayers, but I've never had a problem with it and always have a bottle kicking around, somewhere.

Enjoy.

I have been using Parker Quink inks for decades, too, and never had any problems with them.

IMHO It is a high quality and very safe for vintage pens ink.

1 hour ago, TheRedBeard said:

Thanks for this info :)

There is Green Jade ink there... but I have not found it at any online shops so far.

Maybe its yet to arrive- like the 51 Deluxe.  :D

We'd need to see if those colors were listed in last year's catalog. I've never seen nor heard of them before, myself. 

- Sean  :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

2 hours ago, bunnspecial said:

Don't forget Penman inks, which came in other colors, although Sapphire(blue) is "the" ink from that range.

As a side note, don't forget that boutique inks don't HAVE to be expensive. I'm not a big Noodler's user, but I do consider them boutique inks and they are probably the least expensive per volume of any ink available in the US(there have been posts recently about some super inexpensive Indian made inks, and the 1L bottles of Pelikan probably come close to Noodler's prices if not a bit less). On the other hand, if you want to see nutty ink prices, look at the Elixir inks from Montblanc...

Penman was a special ink line...QUINK was a current line referred in topic. 

Regards.

13 minutes ago, corniche said:

Maybe its yet to arrive- like the 51 Deluxe.  :D

We'd need to see if those colors were listed in last year's catalog. I've never seen nor heard of them before, myself. 

- Sean  :)

Thank you, Sean :)

It seems you are right: let's wait for both NG51 Deluxe and Parker Green Jade.