Joy of slim pens

Savit

Writing with different sized pens is one aspect of fountain pens that we enjoy.

There is a wide range of fountain pens (in terms of size) from slim to small to medium to large to jumbo.

Posting some pictures of some of the slim fountain pens I enjoy writing with. As you can see, these 3 pens are almost as slim as a standard pencil, and have a slimmer section; also they are slimmer than a camlin-47 which is itself a small pen.

Stock nibs worked good for me. All these 3 pens are quite inexpensive too.

• Do you like writing with slim pens?
  • Please post pictures of the slim pens you have.. {pens from India preferably, but also others....}

Have a nice weekend... :)

DSCN4781.thumb.JPG.6e63f77f223d6c8e082d17a62c52f96a.JPGDSCN4780.thumb.JPG.f0400eba50d699405bb4fcb6bd90f37f.JPGDSCN4778.thumb.JPG.6e61d04f6000814b1ac7f7c681dda9aa.JPGDSCN4776.thumb.JPG.a7c19d248f899b82d265e9c72360d72d.JPG

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Savit

• Licue

• maclink

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Although I find both your Guider and Mohi slim pens interesting, I have become accustomed to wider pens.

Many years ago when I started writing with fountain pens, slim pens were quite ordinary, and in the 70s they actually became fashionable. I own a few but very slim sections feel now somewhat uncomfortable to grip.

The slimmest Indian pen I own is a Ranga 8, which is slim compared to other Ranga, but not as slim as a pencil.

When I first got into fountain pens, I gravitated towards the thicker pens and disliked posting them.  So I'd choose pens based on this preference.  I then overshot the sealing of comfort with a Pelikan M1000 and returned it.  I enjoy medium sized pens but am now beginning to enjoy slimmer and more compact pens.  My venture into these sizes started when I tried the Parker 51 and realised, despite my mixed experience that left me not so much of a fan, that for a relatively compact pen, it had stellar ergonomics, whether capped or uncapped.  

Now, I'm very happy using a Pelikan M200/400, a Sailor 1911 Standard or ProGear Slim.  My slimmest is a MontBlanc 145 which has been interesting as the Parker 51.  The MB145 has a slim contour throughout with a barrel that is pretty long.  The nib size, section width and barrel all go together for a nice experience.  I don't have slimmer offerings such as the Parker Vector or Cross Century.

I can write for longer sessions with these smaller pens and I didn't expect this to be the case.   I'll be keeping my other pens since the preference waxes and wanes.  I'll be back to enjoying my thicker pens soon.

Yes, I do like slender pens. I'll tell you about a few of them.

• The Camlin 47 would be perfect if not for the fact that the cap doesn't prevent dry-out particularly well. I find the shape and weight of the pen perfectly suits me. The slip cap is convenient and quick. The steel nib puts down a precise and consistent line. For hand-feel and writing comfort I prefer it to my Lamy 2000.
  • The Lamy CP1 is always ready to write, even when it's been capped unused for a few days. It has a pleasantly solid feel. I appreciate its convenient snap-cap and the ability to easily swap nibs.
  • The Kaweco Special is not as convenient as the CP1 due to its screw cap. I also find the short section a bit of an irritation.
  • I love the look of the Faber-Castell NEO slim and find its short section less annoying than that of the CP1 only because I avoid it entirely when using this pen. What kills it for me is its cap's poor seal. It's even more prone to nib dry-out than the Camlin 47.
  • My Kaweco Liliput (copper) is my favorite of my Liliputs. Here the screw cap doesn't bother me (unlike the Kaweco Special). I don't know why that is. If I had to give away all my pens but one, this is the one I'd keep partially for sentimental reasons and for the very versatile Curved Italic nib from FpNibs.
  • I find the section of the Pelikan M205 just a hair shorter than I'd like and wouldn't mind if it were just a touch heavier. The piston mechanism is excellent and the interchangeable nibs are very convenient. (This one has a custom ground Medium Oblique Cursive Italic from FpNibs.)
  • The FPR Indus is in the same size-class as the M205, but I find it more comfortable. I think this is because of the fractionally longer section. The piston is functional but stiff.
  • The Platinum PTL5000A is light and slim, has a little bounce in the nib and great ink flow. I'm not sure why I don't use it more often. (I suspect this is simply because I have Too Many Pens™.)
  • I have three Muji Aluminum Fountain Pens. They are smooth and put down precise lines. I tend to fill their converter with a syringe because the section, when dipped into ink, tends to get ink in places that are hard to clean and transfer to the cap. It compliments my Rotring and Kuru-Toga (alumnium) pencils very well.
  • The Esterbrook JR is a new addition to my collection. I'm still getting used to the grip section. I like it well enough.

IMG_3835.jpeg

Slim pens are a struggle for me, big clumsy hands....  Even a Parker 45 is a bit too slim for me.  Having just bought a Ranga 9B Giant is probably a decent illustration of how I like my pens......  ;)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

I am a fan of slim pens, for some time I used to actively seek them out.

My most favorite is the Aurora Hastil. Montblanc Slimline and Noblesse's too. Pilot Birdie was easily available in India and was one of the earliest good pens given to me.

Have you seen this Deccan "Datoon"? Probably the slimmest Indian ebonite ED

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/295162-the-deccan-datoon/

pics show if you click the link.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I have quite a liking to slim pens and though I don't prefer them now due to hand size for long writing, I prefer medium class of pens, I still like them and some are always kept inked in some way. The definition for slim varies though. Some are clear slim (like above datoon by Hari sir, looks great btw) some varies and some are on border (metro has slim grip though not slim body so what to say of this one).

From my clear Indian lot I have a 1 Camlin Trinity left (all other given away) Oliver exam demonstrator (primary ink testing pen).

For outside India its diplomat magnum.

yeah not many slim pens (don't have many pens either) but I still like them plenty.

Sheaffer Targa Red Ronce, full size yet still a slim pen.  A lovely, comfortable, fine nabbed writer

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4a67.thumb.jpg.026d8197bdb1e016b5842900f24d3291.jpg

On 3/7/2021 at 7:48 AM, Savit said:

Writing with different sized pens is one aspect of fountain pens that we enjoy.

There is a wide range of fountain pens (in terms of size) from slim to small to medium to large to jumbo.

Posting some pictures of some of the slim fountain pens I enjoy writing with. As you can see, these 3 pens are almost as slim as a standard pencil, and have a slimmer section; also they are slimmer than a camlin-47 which is itself a small pen.

Stock nibs worked good for me. All these 3 pens are quite inexpensive too.

• Do you like writing with slim pens?
  • Please post pictures of the slim pens you have.. {pens from India preferably, but also others....}

Have a nice weekend... :)

DSCN4781.thumb.JPG.6e63f77f223d6c8e082d17a62c52f96a.JPGDSCN4780.thumb.JPG.f0400eba50d699405bb4fcb6bd90f37f.JPGDSCN4778.thumb.JPG.6e61d04f6000814b1ac7f7c681dda9aa.JPGDSCN4776.thumb.JPG.a7c19d248f899b82d265e9c72360d72d.JPG

^ What filling mechanism do these in your pic use?

I like and have quite a few slim and thin fountain pens - none from India tho. Mine are mostly either metal or (quite cheaply looking) plastic.

23 hours ago, hari317 said:

Pilot Birdie was easily available in India and was one of the earliest good pens given to me.

It's a shame the Birdie FP has been discontinued 😔 Such a nice little pocket/planner/notebook pen.

I managed to get two 2ndhand, but I had to hawk-eye ebay quite a while for them.

On 3/7/2021 at 9:13 PM, mannschott said:

Yes, I do like slender pens. I'll tell you about a few of them.

• The Camlin 47 would be perfect if not for the fact that the cap doesn't prevent dry-out particularly well. I find the shape and weight of the pen perfectly suits me. The slip cap is convenient and quick. The steel nib puts down a precise and consistent line. For hand-feel and writing comfort I prefer it to my Lamy 2000.
  • The Lamy CP1 is always ready to write, even when it's been capped unused for a few days. It has a pleasantly solid feel. I appreciate its convenient snap-cap and the ability to easily swap nibs.
  • The Kaweco Special is not as convenient as the CP1 due to its screw cap. I also find the short section a bit of an irritation.
  • I love the look of the Faber-Castell NEO slim and find its short section less annoying than that of the CP1 only because I avoid it entirely when using this pen. What kills it for me is its cap's poor seal. It's even more prone to nib dry-out than the Camlin 47.
  • My Kaweco Liliput (copper) is my favorite of my Liliputs. Here the screw cap doesn't bother me (unlike the Kaweco Special). I don't know why that is. If I had to give away all my pens but one, this is the one I'd keep partially for sentimental reasons and for the very versatile Curved Italic nib from FpNibs.
  • I find the section of the Pelikan M205 just a hair shorter than I'd like and wouldn't mind if it were just a touch heavier. The piston mechanism is excellent and the interchangeable nibs are very convenient. (This one has a custom ground Medium Oblique Cursive Italic from FpNibs.)
  • The FPR Indus is in the same size-class as the M205, but I find it more comfortable. I think this is because of the fractionally longer section. The piston is functional but stiff.
  • The Platinum PTL5000A is light and slim, has a little bounce in the nib and great ink flow. I'm not sure why I don't use it more often. (I suspect this is simply because I have Too Many Pens™.)
  • I have three Muji Aluminum Fountain Pens. They are smooth and put down precise lines. I tend to fill their converter with a syringe because the section, when dipped into ink, tends to get ink in places that are hard to clean and transfer to the cap. It compliments my Rotring and Kuru-Toga (alumnium) pencils very well.
  • The Esterbrook JR is a new addition to my collection. I'm still getting used to the grip section. I like it well enough.

IMG_3835.jpeg

That is a nice set of pens.. thank you for your post.. :)

On 3/7/2021 at 10:01 PM, Aysedasi said:

Slim pens are a struggle for me, big clumsy hands....  Even a Parker 45 is a bit too slim for me.  Having just bought a Ranga 9B Giant is probably a decent illustration of how I like my pens......  ;)

I too like Jumbo-sized pens from time to time.. :)

On 3/8/2021 at 1:34 PM, hari317 said:

I am a fan of slim pens, for some time I used to actively seek them out.

My most favorite is the Aurora Hastil. Montblanc Slimline and Noblesse's too. Pilot Birdie was easily available in India and was one of the earliest good pens given to me.

Have you seen this Deccan "Datoon"? Probably the slimmest Indian ebonite ED

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/295162-the-deccan-datoon/

pics show if you click the link.

Nice pen, Datoon. I wonder whether Deccan pens still make it..

Are Pilot Birdie pens available in shops in India (or are they rare to get now)?

On 3/9/2021 at 1:03 PM, Licue said:

^ What filling mechanism do these in your pic use?

All three of the pens are eye-droppers..

2 hours ago, Savit said:

All three of the pens are eye-droppers..

Oh, nice!

None of my slim pens are eyedroppers (or eyedropperable). And I don't remember ever seeing any elsewhere either.

Would you mind telling the names of the models (again)? I think you wrote them down in the pic, but I'm not sure if I'm reading the handwriting correctly.

well, I'd rule out the Pelikan M200 from slim pens, it's a smallish pen but not slim by my definition.

Actually I'm a fan of the M200 and have a number (way too many) of them...

I consider pens like the Aurora Hastil as a slim pen. The Aurora Magellano also.

Or the Montblanc Noblesse.

Several other pens from the 70's were really slim, like the Papermate.

Some Cross pens were really thin too.

9 hours ago, Savit said:

Nice pen, Datoon. I wonder whether Deccan pens still make it..

Are Pilot Birdie pens available in shops in India (or are they rare to get now)?

You will have to find out from Deccan. 
I haven’t seen a new Birdie in decades now.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

8 hours ago, sansenri said:

well, I'd rule out the Pelikan M200 from slim pens, it's a smallish pen but not slim by my definition.

Actually I'm a fan of the M200 and have a number (way too many) of them...

I consider pens like the Aurora Hastil as a slim pen. The Aurora Magellano also.

Or the Montblanc Noblesse.

Several other pens from the 70's were really slim, like the Papermate.

Some Cross pens were really thin too.

Yeah, I wouldn't call the M200 a slim pen either (nor a small pen, tbh). To me it's a normal/medium sized pen.

I think comparing a FP to a standard pencil is a good rule of thumb - if it's significantly thicker then I wouldn't call it a slim/thin pen.

And yes, the metal Papermates are pretty great slim pens; especially as despite their slimness one can still use standard cartridges with them.

A lot of other slim pens from the 70s/80s need special cartridges.

Also kinda surprised Sailor Chalana has not been mentioned yet.

1 hour ago, Licue said:

Also kinda surprised Sailor Chalana has not been mentioned yet.

Is the Chalana still in production?

12 hours ago, Licue said:

Oh, nice!

None of my slim pens are eyedroppers (or eyedropperable). And I don't remember ever seeing any elsewhere either.

Would you mind telling the names of the models (again)? I think you wrote them down in the pic, but I'm not sure if I'm reading the handwriting correctly.

Guider Slim

Mohi Slim / Sleek (Abhay pens)

Kanwrite Apex

4 hours ago, maclink said:

Is the Chalana still in production?

Not sure, but I think probably not - like many slim/thin pens unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Savit said:

Guider Slim

Mohi Slim / Sleek (Abhay pens)

Kanwrite Apex

Thanks 🙂