What is the year of this Duofold?

Severn

Hi, could anyone tell me a bit more about this model. I think it's the Duofold Senior, but I'm not sure of the nib quality of this model, or value. Thank you for any details!

1622046655_Screenshot2021-03-06at20_35_03.thumb.png.55a2992df466ce6711576706676a97c8.png

Screenshot 2021-03-06 at 20.38.37.png

Screenshot 2021-03-06 at 20.39.00.png

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corniche

• Severn

• inkstainedruth

• mitto

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's from the early 1930s, and is a Streamlined [from the shape of the section] Deluxe [from the three cap-bands].  I have a similar one that I picked up about five weeks ago at an antiques mall about an hour and a half southeast of me but of course haven't been able to get it up and running until pen shows start happening again.  I'm afraid that I can't narrow it down further than that, because I don't know a lot about early Duofolds; what little I do know is gleaned from the the article about Duofolds on Tony Fischier's site: http://parkercollector.com/duofold.html

Hope this helps.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks Ruth for that info and link. Yes, I think 1930's sounds about right. I don't think this one is working properly either and I'm no expert at fixing this type of pen.
Hope you have yours up and running soon!

Thanks.  I've got my fingers crossed for pen shows happening this summer or fall.  To the point that I've even considered the roughly 10-12 hour trek to the Chicago Pen Show if it happens this year (people have told me in the past what a good show it has become, only in the past I looked at a map and said "Yikes -- that's a longer drive than to the Triangle Pen Show from where I live!").  The last time I drove to Chicago I had another driver with me, and it was also years  before I messed up my back.  Which, for me, now means stopping for breaks every hour and a half of so (when I went to the Triangle Show the first time, and also for the year I went to the Baltimore-Washington Show, I scheduled breaks to coincide with antiques shops :rolleyes:).

Yes, I know I could send pens out for repairs, but the advantage of having the work done at shows is that I'm right there on the spot.  Especially if any unexpected issues come up -- like the time Ron Zorn couldn't get some no-name lever filler I'd paid under twenty bucks for apart: I told him the important part was the 14C music nib and feed, and he thought he could get it to fit on a Parker Parkette he was rehabbing.  Worked a treat.  

Hmmm.  I should put that pen back into rotation again....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Hello Severn,

I'll add this to the mix; it looks like it was originally Moderne Black and Pearl. Here is a well-preserved example of the original color:

https://images.app.goo.gl/Vd2Tbd8mVmagkFYP8

The combined off-gassing of the acidic ink and the decomposing sac literally burned the celluloid and gave it that deep amber color.

That is why you often see celluloid pens of this vintage with "burned" barrels, but relatively unscathed caps, (although, occasionally, even the caps can be burned).

I hope you can get it up and running again. :thumbup:

- Sean  :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Thank you all for that helpful info.

Ok, that's very interesting @corniche thank you. I was trying to figure out why the multicoloured pens were like that, but now that all makes sense. 

2 hours ago, corniche said:

Hello Severn,

I'll add this to the mix; it looks like it was originally Moderne Black and Pearl. Here is a well-preserved example of the original color:

https://images.app.goo.gl/Vd2Tbd8mVmagkFYP8

The combined off-gassing of the acidic ink and the decomposing sac literally burned the celluloid and gave it that deep amber color.

That is why you often see celluloid pens of this vintage with "burned" barrels, but relatively unscathed caps, (although, occasionally, even the caps can be burned).

I hope you can get it up and running again. :thumbup:

- Sean  :)

would modern inks have the same effect?

8 hours ago, Severn said:

Thank you all for that helpful info.

Ok, that's very interesting @corniche thank you. I was trying to figure out why the multicoloured pens were like that, but now that all makes sense. 

You're welcome, Severn. 

- Sean  :)

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

13 hours ago, Heinkle said:

would modern inks have the same effect?

Hi Heinkle, 

First, keep in mind this problem only exists because the pens were not flushed out prior to storage. Fountain pens were typically just abandoned and replaced with ballpoints, felt-tips, etc., and very few bothered to flush them out beforehand.  They just ended up in the backs of drawers, junk boxes, etc. Being something too nice or sentimental to throw away, but not anything to carefully preserve. In sum, most people, just didn't know any better

But to answer your question: TBH, IDK. No one can say for sure; only time will tell. However, I would think its not quite as likely, because inks are not as corrosive as they used to be since we use much tamer biocides, dyes, etc, today.

Mind you, a few inks still do have a low pH level, (and some Noodlers and Asian brands can be caustic with high pH levels - so you still want to flush your pens out before you store them).

Furthermore, the material they use for sacs has changed, too. So, while it may not be as likely as it once was; theres still no substitute for good pen hygiene and maintenance. 

- Sean  :)