Got a doubt on LAMY 2000

VIVEK_A_STYLOPHILE

On 3/6/2021 at 3:21 AM, Karmachanic said:

My suggestion is to just use the pen and don't worry. Everything that has a beginning has an end.

Except to when it comes to spending our hard early and increasingly rare spare funding we would like the things that we obtain have the greatest expected distance between that "beginning" and that "end".

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VIVEK_A_STYLOPHILE

• Glenn-SC

• Estycollector

• GoldenArrow

What we would like, and what we expect, are often at odds with what actually happens. More often than not , we have no say in when the end is.

Eat, drink, be merry and use your pens!

Add lightness and simplicate.

I’ll tell you one thing, my LAMY Al Star has hit the parking lot  as office floors more that a few times, yet it continues to please. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

40 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

What we would like, and what we expect, are often at odds with what actually happens. More often than not , we have no say in when the end is.

Eat, drink, be merry and use your pens!

Wear due to normal use falls into this philosophy.

But failure due to "normal" use should not.

Few of us have sufficient excess money to buy and enjoy using "stuff" that fails more quickly have the norm.

I would choose not to buy a $600 Parker T1 as a every day user pen when the tipping is known to break-off (with no known repair method).
Buying a robust FP and enjoying using it while running a (very slight) risk of damage is one thing.
Buying a frail or a FP with known faults and limitations and using it for a short time until it lives up to its reputation and falls apart is another.

The OP was questioning to which class of FP the 2000 belongs.
I was not passing any judgement on the 2000.

But then again, there are no guarantees in this life and my personal guideline is, if you're that concerned about it and it's not a matter of life and death, then don't do it.

I will not purchase a pen for everyday use if I'm terribly concerned about what happens if I drop it.

Fountain pens, in general (there are exceptions of course), are not to be trusted with falls on hard floors.  It can be interesting what happens.  I dropped a Franklin-Christoph pen once and although the acrylic body and cap were fine, and the nib also fine because it was capped, the clip was loose.  I had to send the pen in for repair (turned out they accepted my request for an exchange to a different model that I preferred).  I had chosen that pen because of my confidence that it aught to be fine in the event of a fall.  

If you're really worried about the pen dropping and what will happen, then I suggest buying one that will stand up to that, like for example, a Kaweco (AL|Copper|Brass|Steel) Sport or Lilliput, or a Karas Customs aluminium model.  There are others for sure.  

I personally would not give full assurance that an L2K will be fine after a fall on a hard surface.   However, I've used it as an EDC.  I never did drop it so I can't say.

55 minutes ago, Estycollector said:

LAMY Al Star has hit the parking lot  as office floors more that a few times, yet it continues to please. 

This. 👍My Lamy Safaris are regular EDC bulletproof beaters

Another point of consideration along with the open nib is the drop harming the piston mechanism, eg Makrolon unscathed but piston won't turn. Probably a rare occurrence but still.

I've had 2 drops with Pilot Fermo and Sailor Realo with no marr to the surface material but rather the actual end cap/mechanism was more the concern esp the more delicate Realo.

Accidents do happen but we can only do our best to take care.

Thanks for all thee valuable responses...

Another query just came into my mind... Does anyone know the dimension of the o ring or the washer in the feed section of lamy 2000?

If we loose this by any chance (God forbids), can it be replaced by a third party o ring, with the similar dimension, that is available in the market?

Cheers!!!!

On 3/6/2021 at 10:55 PM, austollie said:

However, in my experience polycarbonate deteriorates with age faster than other plastics used in pens, such as ABS.  I have that issues with some 1970s Pelikanos, where the clear polycarbonate insert in the ABS nib section is prone to cracking.  I think that you'll have the best part of half a century, before you need to worry about that (by which time I will be six feet under).

Polycarbonate is tough indeed. Especialy against some acids and oils. So, good for touching with human hands. 😉

But it is sensitive to many other acids, bases, methanol and UV-light. I know many people use ammonia for cleaning their pens. That is a good way to kill polycarbonate.

Outside of metal pens, Makralon is probably the most durable pen material out there. While there are more durable sythetics around, I know of no pens made from Micarta or G10 or some such. At one time, the magazines of the Steyr-Mannlicher hunting rifles where made from Makralon, which was duly emphasized by the company. To my knowledge, they held up pretty well.

I had the worst luck with my Lamy 2000 - I got it used for a very good price - and then proceeded to have to send it in because the piston was way to stiff, and it came home with a new barrel - and then a year later, it started dumping ink everywhere, and turned out the section had a crack in it - ended up with a new section. So I ended up paying a few bucks more than a new one for my good deal, AND losing my old style section that I liked so dearly 

I hope that was a fluke, because the Makrolon feels like nice tough fiberglass reinforced plastic that they make power tool housings from

Golden Arrow: Boker makes a "tactical" ballpoint out of micarta https://www.bokerusa.com/k.i.d.-cal.50-micarta-09bo079

My L2K issue is it slips out of my hand when handling.  I've twice damaged an L2K nib because of a slip several inches above the writing surface.

18 hours ago, Garageboy said:

Golden Arrow: Boker makes a "tactical" ballpoint out of micarta https://www.bokerusa.com/k.i.d.-cal.50-micarta-09bo079

Thanks for the info - but I was thinking more about regular pens. I have nothing against tactical pens, but have found they are more a justification of carrying a defensive tool. "But officer, that's my pen. I am a writer..." 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 5:49 PM, Tseg said:

My L2K issue is it slips out of my hand when handling.  I've twice damaged an L2K nib because of a slip several inches above the writing surface.

That's interesting. My 2000, to me, is the easiest to hold due to its shape and materials. I do not find it as slippery as acrylic but, again, that is my personal experience and may be different from others.

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade