EFNIR: Monteverde Fireopal

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Monteverde Fire Opal

This is review #83 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Color in the zoom is a little too dark.  Cleaning required a little longer than usual, but still just plain water.  Ink had gotten under the metal ring at the end of the section - from the crust, I'm sure - and in the end, I put it in a sample vial with plain water, shook it, and that dissolved the rest of the ink.

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.MonteverdeFireOpal.jpg.bdba52ddadd6e7257311e82215570807.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.MonteverdeFireOpalS.jpg.5888916f2d9cfe6d6b08015704278fb8.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.MonteverdeFireOpalZ.jpg.ee7ba05e5b290d5e1541a8110ce684b9.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper):
large.MonteverdeFireOpalAP.jpg.e79b42f6a3e9cc9d16de38dcd0dc5ffd.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Robert Oster Great Southern Ocean.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• Sailor Kenshin

• Dimy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review! I like it. I'd say it's a good rendition of real rust, not copper....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

32 minutes ago, lapis said:

Nice review! I like it. I'd say it's a good rendition of real rust, not copper....

Thank you! :)  And... Huh.  Never thought about it, but yes, it does look a lot like rust.  Which rhymes with crust... :huh:

Thanks Liz - excellent as always. 

I don't didn't actually own a single Monteverde ink (more by accident than design). So I've just ordered a ridiculously large bottle of this for a ridiculously small amount of money (along with, ahem, a couple of much more sensible sized ones). If I decide I hate it, I'll have enough to gift away samples for years!

I'll consider myself enabled...

5 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Thanks Liz - excellent as always. 

I don't didn't actually own a single Monteverde ink (more by accident than design). So I've just ordered a ridiculously large bottle of this for a ridiculously small amount of money (along with, ahem, a couple of much more sensible sized ones). If I decide I hate it, I'll have enough to gift away samples for years!

I'll consider myself enabled...

:lticaptd:  Hope you enjoy it.  Really, the crusting was the only bad thing about this ink.

The oily wizard of Bicbita?! Haha! Why not BiroBicbita ;)

Really lovely colour... In the same vein as Ancient Copper/ Antietam.... 

Great job! 

I have an ink named Fire Opal by Chesterfield (now unobtainium) that is truly the most eye-searing orange in my collection.  This MV Fire Opal looks more coppery, but the long dry time rules it out for this southpaw.

Thanks for the review, as always!  

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

15 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I have an ink named Fire Opal by Chesterfield (now unobtainium) that is truly the most eye-searing orange in my collection.  This MV Fire Opal looks more coppery, but the long dry time rules it out for this southpaw.

Are you an over or under southpaw? I don't like long drying ink, but not because I'm an underwriter ;)

36 minutes ago, yazeh said:

The oily wizard of Bicbita?! Haha! Why not BiroBicbita ;)

Really lovely colour... In the same vein as Ancient Copper/ Antietam.... 

Great job! 

Bicbiro (blame my poor handwriting), same word-rhythm as Cicero. :D   BiroBicbita would have been good too, but I didn't think of it.

Thank you! :)

26 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

You're very welcome!

2 hours ago, yazeh said:

Are you an over or under southpaw? I don't like long drying ink, but not because I'm an underwriter ;)

Southpaw Hooker Seeks Fast-Drying Inks.  😜

Chesterfield Eye-Searing Fire Opal dries quick.  MV FO also reminds me of Lamy Copper Orange.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

10 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Chesterfield Eye-Searing Fire Opal dries quick.  MV FO also reminds me of Lamy Copper Orange.

Got it.... I had a list somewhere most of them were Noodlers, ironically....

40 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

:lticaptd:

41 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

MV FO also reminds me of Lamy Copper Orange.

Monteverde Copper Noir is very similar to Fire Opal, and dries a lot faster.  So you may not be missing out on much...

Thanks for the review.

So crust and creeping in metal rings.....nope not for me. I know for a fact that this ink will most likely create a beehive in my diplomat magnum (the pen has ring at end of grip and boy thats one place all inks find themselves home). Well still colour looks decent. The closeup shot reminds me of old bricks and thats nice.

On side note I missed a few wizard tales.....now where was I last time.

8 hours ago, Dimy said:

the pen has ring at end of grip and boy thats one place all inks find themselves home

It's like they're little children - or wild animals - they need a "den". :)

8 hours ago, Dimy said:

On side note I missed a few wizard tales.....now where was I last time.

Here are several.  Hopefully it catches you up...

77 MB Royal Blue
As the other four wizards stared in wonder at the tiny laughing sphinx, Quintus tumbled out into the sunlight.  "Thank," he gasped, "the inky stars!"  At the sound of his voice, Makhabesh flew up and perched unsteadily on Quintus' shoulder. "So," Makhabesh said, "when do we go in to rescue the others?"

78 De Atramentis Indigo Blue
"Go in?" Quintus shouted.  "It's a trap!"  Makhabesh patted Quintus' shoulder with one paw.  "Sure, but now we know it's a trap, can't you five use your magic to prop the door open, so to speak?"  The other four wizards continued to stare.

79 Caran d'Ache Magnetic Blue
"What others?" Primus finally asked.  "Well," Makhabesh said, "there's the archeologist and his assistant, and the couple on their honeymoon, and the older couple celebrating their retirement.  Then there are the treasure hunters - we could leave them inside.  And there's that history professor who can't seem to stop talking.  And a fellow who sits in the corner of the cafe muttering to himself - not sure who he is."

80 Pilot Parallels Mixable Colour Yellow
[Two days later...] Armed with their staffs, potions, and spells, the others left Secundus and Tertius at the entrance, just in case, and set off into the sphinx-trap.  "Maybe we could get one of their bacon cheeseburgers before we do the rescue part," Makhabesh suggested.  "Mmmm."

81 Montegrappa Dark Blue
After getting six cheeseburgers to go (a request which made the server suspicious), Primus pounded his staff against the floor three times, cleared his throat, and announced, "We're here to rescue you!  The right foot--" A fireball flew from one corner of the cafe, straight at Primus.

82 R.O. Great Southern Ocean
"Noooo!" Quartus yelled, thrusting his staff into the path of the fireball! Primus ducked as the fireball split.  Quintus set his staff and cast a shielding spell.  Trapped patrons screamed and scattered.  And Makhabesh flew right into the face of the fellow muttering in the corner and began to claw his eyes out.

83 Monteverde Fire Opal
"My eyes! My eyes!" cried the muttering corner-wizard as he turned his back and hunched into a ball.  "Sieze him!" Primus ordered.  Quartus and Quintus dragged the enemy into the light.  "Gaah!" shouted the three wizards in unison.  "It's Marsell, the Oily Sorcerer of Bicbiro!"

2 hours ago, LizEF said:

It's like they're little children - or wild animals - they need a "den". :)

Children really hate leaving their den, I can assure that much:lticaptd:

2 hours ago, LizEF said:

Here are several.  Hopefully it catches you up...

Now this brings me back to speed, time for a read. Thanks for them:)

50 minutes ago, Dimy said:

Now this brings me back to speed, time for a read. Thanks for them:)

You're welcome - though I left out the review I posted today of #84 - Pilot Mixable Colour Pink - which has the latest installment. :)

Cool name, but I’m not immediately convinced by the colour. Looks like a rusty orange, and I should like it, but for some reason it doesn’t grab me. I’m sure it probably looks better in person. 

Anyway... better for me, because I promised myself to stick to Japanese inks this year (mostly ... I also have my eye on the new PP New Orleans ink “Desire”, but I can’t justify to myself that shipping would be more expensive than the ink itself... for now). 

3 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

Anyway... better for me, because I promised myself to stick to Japanese inks this year (mostly ... I also have my eye on the new PP New Orleans ink “Desire”, but I can’t justify to myself that shipping would be more expensive than the ink itself... for now). 

Unless you buy a whole series..... ;)

52 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

I promised myself to stick to Japanese inks this year

A lofty goal!  Every time I see those threads about one ink, or one pen, or similar, my first thought is always, "Thank heaven that's not really necessary!" :D