LAMY cp1 time table

christof

On 12/5/2021 at 9:31 PM, bonnie-scott said:

According to the information that I have the original version of the CP1 came out in 1974, the later revised version of the CP1 (fatter) came out in 1983.  The Lamy St came out in 1979 and the Linea came out in 1986.  So the Lines was the later of the three models to be produced.

Hi Jan,

the history of the CP1, ST and Linea was discussed earlier in the thread.  One minor correction to what was posted earlier (Thanks Christof) was that the fountain pen version of the CP1 appeared in 1977.

It is worth noting that the ST and Line also have the same feed and the caps can be interchanged iff you want something different 🙂

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• lucraak

• bonnie-scott

• Pen Engineer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, bonnie-scott said:

Hi Jan,

the history of the CP1, ST and Linea was discussed earlier in the thread.  One minor correction to what was posted earlier (Thanks Christof) was that the fountain pen version of the CP1 appeared in 1977.

It is worth noting that the ST and Line also have the same feed and the caps can be interchanged iff you want something different 🙂

Thank you very much, I'm afraid I overlooked that. So I have my first piece of the puzzle! 

You will be forgiven that you cannot, but never more that you do not want to.

• 1 month later...

what about someone starting a table, where we can all insert our information?  This also provides us with an overview of what is missing and where the points of discussion are.  A downloadable version would be good, so I could put it on my bedside table.

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

On 3/24/2022 at 7:08 PM, christof said:

But I prefer to keep the control of my document myself since I only want to note verified informations.

I understand your concern.  Because, as far as I know, some of the information is wrong.

At the moment, I am writing about the change of the black from an electrolytic deposition on a brass tube to the titanium oxide on stainless steel which happened in 1981, before the diameter change.  It is meant to be published on my website, and maybe here?  It would be nice if I could include some photos, just from the barrel, as examples, even a worn sample.  If you have some photos and allow me to use them, that would be great.

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

I have only these pictures, since I gave all my cp1 to the Museum für Gestaltung last year. If the pictures are helpful for your project, feel free to use them.

50779413363_57203bb3cf_4k.jpgLAMY cp1 1978 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50850107001_57548e39d5_3k.jpgLAMY cp1 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50850199772_b854114b3c_3k.jpgLAMY cp1 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

BTW, I was thinking that the coating was the same as on the black Persona:

8573480325_a950954f59_3k.jpgLamy Persona Mario Bellini by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Isn't this the case?

• 4 months later...

I'm curious if the St was first released with the same nib and feed as the Safari. Famously, the Safari debuted in 1980, but if the St came out in 1979, that would make it the first pen ever released with the now-ubiquitous Lamy interchangeable nib and feed!

On 8/6/2022 at 2:47 PM, sentience said:

I'm curious if the St was first released with the same nib and feed as the Safari. Famously, the Safari debuted in 1980, but if the St came out in 1979, that would make it the first pen ever released with the now-ubiquitous Lamy interchangeable nib and feed!

The Fountain pen of the LAMY St line came out in 1982. This is at least what my documents say.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings..

My CP 1 might be around 10yrs old but I'm not sure.

It's non-magnetic except for the clip and came with a converter.

The nib says F and LAMY in italic.

The clip says LAMY (not italic) in small print on the side and GERMANY underneath.

The converter says GERMANY on one side and LAMY  in italic on the other.

I can see a light brass color inside the cap and barrel and the barrel threads are yellow brass.
1.thumb.jpg.2791fa300aac2f5d288e194cefd4bf14.jpg2.thumb.jpg.cd594019f5462df9cb1fbc7c3cfc5d53.jpg3.thumb.jpg.af1489a230beab5963922f1da6c6d9da.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2022 at 4:36 AM, christof said:

Yes, I did:

51009964232_9afabccbc4_3k.jpgLAMY cp1 section feed nib by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

i would be very interested in hearing your informations.

Hello all; I'm close to buying a vintage CP1 and with the table on page 1 and this exploded view here I think I have clarified what I'm looking at (it is an online listing).

Note that there is only one specimen for me to work with, so no ability for comparison of size, dimensions, cap swaps, etc, just the pics and amplifying info from the seller.

What I have from the ad and some seller info is: vintage, gold nib, fine, W GERMANY under the clip, LAMY on the one side of the clip. One more thing I cannot confirm, but that I can clearly see, is this pen's feed, under the nib itself, has a square hole just at the end of the grip section.

The feed/internals are shown clearly as having the angle-cut tube onto which you would press the ink cartridge. This pen does not come with any sort of "thin squeeze converter" as shown on page 1 of this thread.

The pics show no breather hole in the nib, nib markings are 585 with LAMY below, and some pretty good detail of the nib/feed/section.

Based on this pic above, I see no breather hole on the upper model's nib. And I see a great difference in the number of threads at the right end of the section where the barrel threads on; the upper (earlier) one with about ten fine threads, vs the lower (later) one with about 5 coarse threads.

The sale I'm interested in has the no breather hole and the ten finer threads. Everything else seems to line up with this sale item being a brushed steel model 50 from 1977, according to the specification time table in this thread.

Based on my observations, this forum's info, and further amplification from the seller, would you say I am correct in identifying this CP1 as the 1977 model 50 in brushed steel with 14 carat gold (platinum plated) nib?

Or have I missed something?

Many thanks,

Mark

I am happy to report I went ahead and bought the CP1.

The pen is in excellent condition and writes beautifully.

It's my first gold nib; I'm awaiting my second from Parker51, and am tempted to order my third; that being a Lamy 2000.

Anyway, based on what I've read in this thread and other places, my new CP1 ticks all the boxes of being a 1977 so am pretty happy about that.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, M R said:

I am happy to report I went ahead and bought the CP1.

The pen is in excellent condition and writes beautifully.

It's my first gold nib; I'm awaiting my second from Parker51, and am tempted to order my third; that being a Lamy 2000.

Anyway, based on what I've read in this thread and other places, my new CP1 ticks all the boxes of being a 1977 so am pretty happy about that.

Cheers!

Nice to hear. 

I think it is a great pen and nice to have the "first" version of this model. I also have one and it writes brilliantly. Great nibs!

Just a heads up... Although it is a fantastic pen, the Lamy 2000 is very different from the CP1 (imho)