PLUS x Sailor: "Yozakura" Stationary Set

Ronderick

1 hour ago, Steveg58 said:

It is as if Sailor has decided that because they are making a cheaper pen it must look cheap and un-appealing as well.

I like my five special-edition (or are they limited-edition?) Sailor Profit Jr. coloured demonstrators — nominally designed to go with the STORiA range of pigment inks — well enough, both functionally and aesthetically, even though they're from the same mould (and with the same MSRP) as the regular ¥2,000+tax version of the pen. No complaints about the nibs or the pens' cap seal effectiveness there.

large.54904242_PartiallistingforSailorProfitJrmodelsatPensachi.jpg.86c58c3413a2b289e7c7666baea62ac6.jpg

Source: Pensachi.com

My two Sailor Lecoule pens (in Garnet and Morion) didn't cost me all that much more inclusive of custom engraving service, are very good as well. Each of those pens are cheaper than the PLUS x Sailor collab Cat pen.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Steveg58

• aimi

• Ambien

I agree with Intensity.  If I don't like a specific model's color (LE or standard) I'm not going to buy it in the first place.  Don't care how "rare" or "desirable" it's supposed to be (Parker 51 in Cocoa, I'm looking at you).

I haven't liked a lot of the Pro-Gear Slim colors.  OTOH, I held off on the Purple Cosmos LE for the longest time because I couldn't justify the extra price that Sailor was charging over the cost of a "standard" color, and it wasn't until the next year's color was released (the red one) I started looking at the secondary market (meaning eBay) -- and when I realized that there were still some new ones out there went looking on a serious level, and was able to save money by getting one from Cult Pens.  I also really like the look of the Blue Dwarf LE, and again am waffling over the price.  But some of the other colors?  No waffling need apply...  I just don't like them and can't see myself wasting money over something I don't like when I can get something I *do* like....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you Intensity. I said I found it uninspiring. The cat pen was a special issue that seemed superficially attractive and you can't see all the details on a web site. Smug Dill seem to think that my comparison with the Yonaga was invalid so it seemed reasonable to explain what I was actually comparing. I also have an earlier Sailor Procolor that is really appealing and also cost less than the cat pen. And if people will stop nit-picking irrelevancies I will be happy to shut up now.

When I clicked on the link to the Sailor Shikiori Setsugetsu Soraha series, I see a message saying, "Yukitsubaki’ has been discontinued". Strange that they would discontinue one out of a set of four, or do they plan to discontinue the whole set?

15 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I agree with Intensity.  If I don't like a specific model's color (LE or standard) I'm not going to buy it in the first place.  Don't care how "rare" or "desirable" it's supposed to be (Parker 51 in Cocoa, I'm looking at you).

I haven't liked a lot of the Pro-Gear Slim colors.  OTOH, I held off on the Purple Cosmos LE for the longest time because I couldn't justify the extra price that Sailor was charging over the cost of a "standard" color, and it wasn't until the next year's color was released (the red one) I started looking at the secondary market (meaning eBay) -- and when I realized that there were still some new ones out there went looking on a serious level, and was able to save money by getting one from Cult Pens.  I also really like the look of the Blue Dwarf LE, and again am waffling over the price.  But some of the other colors?  No waffling need apply...  I just don't like them and can't see myself wasting money over something I don't like when I can get something I *do* like....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Agreed, Ruth :) Some LE pens that I see I just want right away, and some pens are so-so for me.

Now if Pilot could just come out with more LE colours for their 912 line.............

(Also for anyone wondering, I caved and preordered the pen that started off this thread... hope the flowers don't rub off!)

16 hours ago, anemography said:

… "Yukitsubaki’ has been discontinued". Strange that they would discontinue one out of a set of four, or do they plan to discontinue the whole set?

See the page from the Sailor catalogue I posted here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/354551-sailor-possibly-being-bought-out/?do=findComment&comment=4410628

Only the Yukitsubaki models (factory-fitted with EF and MF nibs, respectively) are marked out, with kanji inside the blue rectangles, as being “limited [edition] product”.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 2 weeks later...

My pen came yesterday and it's just as beautiful as in pictures--maybe moreso. The ink, however, is truly very lovely and I'd like to do a review soon but I keep putting these off because my Zoom nib is always filled up, and I want to show off the properties with a thicker nib. I somehow lost my Pilot stub ?? so I'll just be waiting until my Zoom is emptied...

Still a bit worried about the flower decals, but  I'll try to enjoy them and be careful with them while they're here. I've never had a PGS model, but I guess past experiences in vintage have made posting a very optional thing even on small pens 😛