PLUS x Sailor: "Yozakura" Stationary Set

Ronderick

https://bungu.plus.co.jp/special/feature/yozakura_collabo/

Well, I think most people who's been paying attention to the Japanese market have heard about the new relation between PLUS and sailor. It's no secret that many are worried about what's going to emerge out of this integration. 

Perhaps too early to tell, but at least this stationary set combining a notebook, ink, and pen seems OK for the price charged - and definitely targeting female users or as a gift set.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Steveg58

• aimi

• Intensity

Super pretty.  And yet I would advise against buying those specific Sailor pens with the Sakura flower paint on the barrels.  I have read more than one post on reddit from owners of the previous versions (clear, untinted barrels) that the flowers can chip off rather easily.  I'm not sure the adhesion to plastic of that paint is sufficiently good to withstand the test of time and usage, unless one is just buying this pen to keep unused.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Pretty, but a little TOO girly for my taste.  And thanks for the heads up about the chipping paint, Intensity.  I'd be a little worried about what's *in* the paint, since many chemicals in paints and glazes are fairly toxic (and I don't just mean "lead white"...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 3/5/2021 at 4:55 PM, Ronderick said:

Perhaps too early to tell, but at least this stationary set combining a notebook, ink, and pen seems OK for the price charged

I don't know how much value the individual consumer will attribute to the 20ml bottle of ink and the notebook, but the set's MSRP of ¥24,000+tax for what is a 14K gold-nibbed Sailor Professional Gear Slim is significantly higher than the list price of the also 14K gold-nibbed special editions of the PGS model in the Shikiori Fairy Tale and Shikiori Setsugetsu Soraha ranges.

On 3/5/2021 at 4:55 PM, Ronderick said:

… definitely targeting female users or as a gift set.

I kinda like the animal figure ‘scrollwork’ on the nibs from the second PLUS x Sailor collaboration product range, based on the Sailor Profit Jr. (now officially aka 1911 Jr.), that was launched:

image02.png

Source: PLUS Corporation

(Note: The three nib ‘scrollwork’ figures on the bottom row are from the first collab range.)

Given that each set in the cheaper collab ranges also include a 20ml bottle of ink, and a notebook of the same specifications as that in the more expensive Yozakura set, we can work out (from the Profit Jr.'s list price) for how much they nominally account in the sets' list prices.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

27 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I don't know how much value the individual consumer will attribute to the 20ml bottle of ink and the notebook, but the set's MSRP of ¥24,000+tax for what is a 14K gold-nibbed Sailor Professional Gear Slim is significantly higher than list price of the also 14K gold-nibbed special editions of the PGS model in the Shikiori Fairy Tale and Shikiori Setsugetsu Soraha ranges.

I kinda like the animal figure ‘scrollwork’ on the nibs from the second PLUS x Sailor collaboration product range, based on the Sailor Profit Jr. (now officially aka 1911 Jr.), that was launched:

image02.png

Source: PLUS Corporation

(Note: The three nib ‘scrollwork’ figures on the bottom row are from the first collab range.)

Given that each set in the cheaper collab ranges also include a 20ml bottle of ink, and a notebook of the same specifications as that in the more expensive Yozakura set, we can work out (from the Profit Jr.'s list price) for how much they nominally account in the sets' list prices.

Thanks, I'm now considering the cat pen since I've always wanted a Sailor pen w/custom nib but money. 

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

8 hours ago, Intensity said:

Super pretty.  And yet I would advise against buying those specific Sailor pens with the Sakura flower paint on the barrels.  I have read more than one post on reddit from owners of the previous versions (clear, untinted barrels) that the flowers can chip off rather easily.  I'm not sure the adhesion to plastic of that paint is sufficiently good to withstand the test of time and usage, unless one is just buying this pen to keep unused.

I have only read one post that gets linked every time one of these pens gets mentioned. I’ve been perusing IG, Reddit, and FPN to find a second instance of it since it’s the only thing holding me back from trying to jump on one of these when they’re released. Could you please direct me to the other instances you found?

4 hours ago, Ambien said:

Thanks, I'm now considering the cat pen since I've always wanted a Sailor pen w/custom nib but money. 

The cat pen seems sold out :(

I also want one now.

my apologies for the double post. I’m on Mobile and not easily able to combine my posts (but I will try my best when I get to desktop).

There is one cat pen listed on ebay currently, seller in Japan of course.  About $65USD for the pen set but another $25 to ship.   I had bought one over a year ago for gifting this past Christmas to my niece but then the pandemic eliminated her attendance.  $65 is in line to my cost back then but shipping at that time was free.  

www.ebay.com/itm/274603028265

1 hour ago, aimi said:

The cat pen seems sold out

Yep, looks a lot like it. The ivory limited edition set with the dog, as well. I'll looked on Amazon.co.jp, Rakuten Ichiba, Yahoo.co.jp, and eBay … nothing. Apparently at one point the seller penpen-avenue on eBay listed it, but for the total spend it'd cost me to get a set to Australia, I wouldn't have bought that anyway when I could've bought a gold-nibbed Japanese ‘Big Three’ fountain pen instead.

3 minutes ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

There is one cat pen listed on ebay currently,

Good job! I didn't manage to find that one. :notworthy1:

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Out of curiosity I went to look at Sailor LE pens and I found a bunch of unique nibs. It's a shame they all seem to cost  $700+ on ebay but I can dream. 

sSfmhEo.jpg

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

9 minutes ago, Ambien said:

I found a bunch of unique nibs.

Oh no no no no no you don't! You mustn't show me one with a penguin on it!

I actually bought the Pentonote Sailor PG Realo Sorayu No Iro model (that’s a mouthful) they had recently because of the bunny on the nib. I’m a magpie for cute things... please don’t show me these nibs. 

@A Smug Dill Thank you for checking for me. That’s very kind of you :)

@I-am-not-really-here I saw that one too, but the shipping is so much haha! Hopefully they’ll have more in the future that can be gotten direct from Amazon.jp. Thank you for linking!

I picked up the PLUS X Sailor Cat pen but it is a bit underwhelming. The brown section just does not match the dark silver-grey body and the transparent feed just looks cheap. I am loath to ink it up as I think that feed will stain badly. 

To be honest I like my Sailor Shikiori Yonaga a lot better even if it was AU$39 more expensive and without the ink.

It does have a 'my first fountain pen' feel.  But what group is the target user?    Male, over 501 hm...doubtful. 

1.  Speaking for myself only. 🤫

Fair call ... possibly cat-lovers-who-are-ignorant-about-fountain-pens?

5 hours ago, Steveg58 said:

To be honest I like my Sailor Shikiori Yonaga a lot better even if it was AU$39 more expensive and without the ink.

Well, the Shikiori Tsukuyo-no-minamo Yonaga is based on the Procolor 500, which is a ¥5,000+tax model, while the Cat pen is based on the Profit Jr., which is a ¥2,000+tax model, so it makes sense that the former is the superior pen by a long shot. (The two base models are contrasted here to show the obvious differences.)

Interesting. Looking at the two pens side by side the casing components and clip could have come out if the same moulding machine. There is extra metal trim on the Yonaga but that is purely cosmetic. The feed on the Yonaga is a bit longer with shallower fins. The nib is the main difference with the Cat pen having a wider and less curved nib. Otherwise there is no visible difference. BTW the Sailor links in your referenced posts no longer work.

4 hours ago, Steveg58 said:

There is extra metal trim on the Yonaga but that is purely cosmetic.

It isn't purely cosmetic, though. The construction of the gripping section is different from one model to the other. (Of course, some users may actually prefer the Profit Jr. because of the absence of a metal connector, which makes it ‘possible’ — or safer — to use that model as eyedropper-filled pens.)

Whether the more elaborate cap ring on the Procolor 500 gives it a functional or qualitative advantage over the Profit Jr., I'm not sure.

The nib is the main difference with the Cat pen having a wider and less curved nib.

I'd venture that the nib on the Procolor is better made than the one on the Profit Jr. (and Lecoule).

BTW the Sailor links in your referenced posts no longer work.

Yes, Sailor revamped its website last September, shortly after I made that post.

True but irrelevant.

I am talking about the combined effects of an uninspiring colour body, a muddy brown section that does not match the body and a transparent feed with very little material to give it strength. The frosted nib of the cat pen is one feature that is appealing but I have no idea if it is practical. I chose the Yonaga as a comparison because its external physical aspect is almost identical and the fact that it has a better nib and a two part section of metal and resin may account for the price difference but not the visual difference between the two pens. It is as if Sailor has decided that because they are making a cheaper pen it must look cheap and un-appealing as well.

Sailor Pro Gears and 1911 style pens have been released in countless color combinations.  I don't know why you chose one you dislike and keep saying you don't like it--there are so many to choose from.  Aesthetical preferences are as varied as there are people looking for pens.  Perhaps sell yours on a pen forum or eBay and get one you like instead.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”