Montblanc 145 Classique vs Montblanc 147 Traveller

tommym

For those of you who prefer to use disposable ink cartridges when you travel……

Decades ago, when I was traveling, I was dead set on purchasing a Montblanc 147 Traveller for this purpose. However, the pen boutique recommended the smaller Montblanc 145 Classique as being the more versatile of the two pens.  Out of the box, the Montblanc 145 Classique holds the same amount of disposable ink cartridges as the Montblanc 147 Traveller, and the Montblanc 145 Classique has the added advantage of having a piston converter included with the pen. So, when I traveled, I used disposable ink cartridges, and when I was at home, I used the included piston converter to allow access to a much wider selection of ink colors. The best of both worlds.  Based on my experience with the two, I would only recommend the Montblanc 147 Traveller if you prefer the larger 146 style barrel size or prefer a larger nib.  If you already own a Montblanc 147 Traveller, there are threads / posts on this site that detail how to retrofit the Montblanc 147 Traveller with a piston converter. Still, I find the out-of-the-box simplicity of the Montblanc 145 Classique piston converter design to be superior. Swapping back and forth between the piston converter and disposable cartridges is very a quick operation and the Montblanc 145 Classique piston converter design allows for the flushing of the nib if needed. All these issues can be addressed on the converted Montblanc 147 Traveller, but with the Montblanc 145 Classique, it’s all built-in.

The Montblanc 147 Traveller comes with a very nice leather case that holds the pen along with six disposable ink cartridges. The Montblanc 145 Classique fits nicely in the Montblanc 147 Traveller case too but is an added cost to the Montblanc 145 Classique. However, if you can find a good deal on one, the extra cost may not matter. Some Montblanc 147 Traveller users find the case overly bulky and have found other solutions to suit their needs. 

So, for travelers who prefer to use disposable ink cartridges don’t overlook the Montblanc 145 Classique.

Tommy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Niskayuna55

• Uncial

• maclink

• Nurmister

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd add the anniversary pen to that list. At first glance it's a simple little push and slide cartridge pen and might appear a bit underwhelming (I think it generally was, and perhaps srill is, regarded in this way, hence the many cheap deals that can easily be had). Using this pen on trips, and it comes with me on every trip, I find I use it more than anything else I bring. It's a delightful little pocket travelling pen, a flawless finish, has some very appealing finer details and a surprisingly springy baby nib that has lovely balance. Writing with it for prolonged periods reveals all the thought, care and artistry that went into it. I think it's hugely overlooked.

Sorry, i didn't mean to hijack your thread to another angle but when traveller pens are mentioned, the two you mention and the Boheme are usually all thats mentioned.

I would agree with you that the 145 is a versatile and great pen.

I'm a big fan of the 147 - but, I dislike the leather case.

I consider all pens to be able to travel, simply by clipping into my pocket.

When I took my 147 out and about, it clipped into my pocket and I'd leave the case at home.

If I was going away for some time, I'd take a few pens, in a box, in my case.

As such, I never saw the advantage of the 147's case. It was simply too bulky for my needs.

Agree with you; the 145 is an excellent everyday pen, as was the earlier 144 model. I still have a couple and they see a lot of use. But, I prefer the 146/147 platform for my daily carry - or other pens around that size. Purely a matter of personal preference.

Enjoy.

I too love the 145.  The smaller nib compared to the 147,  performs very well and fits the 145's slimmer profile.  I've been using it as a work EDC and am very happy with it.  I use one of the leather Franklin-Christoph pen pouches for it and that works a treat.  

~ @tommym:

Please number me among those who appreciate the quality of writing from the 145 Classique.

The three on my writing desk are regularly used, with pleasing results.

Thank you for your generous remarks about the 145 Classique.

Tom K.

I’m a 147 fan because I find that the 146 sized pen is a better(really best) match for me.

The 147 gives me a pen with a virtually identical feel to the 146 but the travel advantage of cartridges. 

6 hours ago, tommym said:

So, for travelers who prefer to use disposable ink cartridges don’t overlook the Montblanc 145 Classique.

and don't ignore the mozart either. you can always carry a box of cartridges or just a single spare cart in your wallet and the Mozart tucks in very well into your shirt pocket.

I use and enjoy all four: 147/145/144/114

I don't prefer the bohemes, i had quite a few of them, all disposed off now. They are complicated just for the sake of it without any utility for the complication IMO.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

59 minutes ago, hari317 said:

They are complicated just for the sake of it without any utility for the complication IMO.

+ 1 for that observation.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

My wife's MB 145P has the most wonderful and smooth nib I have ever tried on a MB. Such an amazing pen!

In my older age I've become really lazy and no longer feel like messing around with ink bottles and cartridge converters. I've come to appreciate the ability of the 147 to hold 2 ink cartridges firmly- one as a backup.

If I want to mess around with bottled ink, I usually reach for my Sheaffer Balance oversized or my Sheaffer Legacy 2....about the same form factor as my Montblanc 147 but I like their filling mechanisms a little better

....especially the lever filler of the Balance.

I feel an opposite opinion to most other posters.  I always carry multiple 149 and 146 PFs on travel...usually in a portfolio that holds 6-8 pens.  But I do use different ink colors for different purposes while on travel.  I'm usually only away from home for 3-5 days at a time, and typically full loads will suffice.  If I'm going to be away for say two weeks, I'll pack a couple of bottles of ink.  It's really not that big of a deal.  

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

2 hours ago, niksch said:

I feel an opposite opinion to most other posters.  I always carry multiple 149 and 146 PFs on travel...usually in a portfolio that holds 6-8 pens.  But I do use different ink colors for different purposes while on travel.  I'm usually only away from home for 3-5 days at a time, and typically full loads will suffice.  If I'm going to be away for say two weeks, I'll pack a couple of bottles of ink.  It's really not that big of a deal.  

Your context is less restrictive, which indeed, makes it not a big deal. :thumbup:

My work creates two distinct contexts.  One that's mainly office based and one that isn't.  The one that's office makes the ink issue, as for you, not a big deal.  I can have multiple pens, ink, etc.  In the other context, I am either on the move, or similarly restrictive situations that do not allow for the inking up ritual.  I can't afford to run out of ink, so the choice is either a high ink capacity pen, freshly filled (it's amazing how quickly inked is sucked from a C/C when using paper with relatively poor quality) or walking with extra cartridges or ..... an extra pen (to misplace):wacko:.  Personally, I typically go for the former solution (MB146, Pelikan or TWSBI) and can certainly understand others going for the latter.  ATM, I'm using a MB145 and ensure it's full when anticipating a day of much writing and I have a spare pen on the side in case I do run out..  This has been working.  Unfortunately, during a very busy time, I may be too tired in down times to even recall refilling the pen and end up returning to work with the c/c that's 30% full. :wallbash:  This is when the 146 does better. 

I feel an opposite opinion too...

I cannot judge the 145, I don't own one, but have never been tempted because the section feels slightly too small, I prefer the 146, of which I own two.

In general, even when traveling, I avoid cartridges. In such occasions I take multiple pens, usually piston fillers with greater capacity, often Pelikans.

The ink capacity advantage of modern piston pens is overstated IMO. The ink capacity is typically 1.5ml for m1000/ modern 149 etc. the ink capacity of a small international cartridge is roughly 0.7ml. Many pens including the 145 can carry two short carts. One can carry additional cartridges easily. 
of course it is up to the individual what they prefer. Personally I like to carry just a single pen. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

On 3/5/2021 at 12:56 AM, hari317 said:

and don't ignore the mozart either. you can always carry a box of cartridges or just a single spare cart in your wallet and the Mozart tucks in very well into your shirt pocket.

I agree about the Mozart. I have a tribute Mozart that sees a lot of use when I travel (or used to). I never babied this pen (other than a tiny sleeve) and just love it to bits as it carries so many memories with it of taking notes and scribbling in cafes 

I do think about the 145 sometimes. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to try a Montblanc "Chopin"--I think this is the 145, right?

And yet--I adore my 147 "Traveler." It is one of my very best pens, and the leather case alone is exquisite. The case isn't too bulky, I find, if you carry it in an inside jacket pocket. It cushions the pen and also allows for the transport of extra cartridges.

Still, I've heard only good things about the "Chopin." Someday I'll try it!

21 minutes ago, adair said:

I would love to try a Montblanc "Chopin"--I think this is the 145, right?

Mozart=144

Chopin=145

It's no doubt a good pen, but I've just never personally really "bonded" with my 145.

Before getting pretty seriously back in to fountain pen collecting(I'd collected for a while, took a break, but never stopped using) my "one pen, one ink, every day" was a 146 for several years. I took to that pen better than any other pen from any maker I've ever owned, and that particular 146 is not one I'll ever get rid of even if lately my 149s have been getting more use

Since the 146 really is my baseline "perfect" pen, it's my measuring stick for everything else. Consequently, when I got a 145, I found it a bit too small for my taste.

I do have a vintage 144 with a lovely soft OB nib(which adds a whole different dimension to the small amount of flex it has) and even though it's smaller than the 145 I find it a bit more comfortable. I can't pinpoint why. The 142 is almost too small for me-it's definitely a "must be posted" pen.

I still need to get a modern 144.

On 3/5/2021 at 6:56 AM, hari317 said:

I don't prefer the bohemes, i had quite a few of them, all disposed off now. They are complicated just for the sake of it without any utility for the complication IMO.

To my surprise, there’s also a non-retractable Bohème, which is larger than the retractable one.