Armando Simoni Club Bologna Extra Magic Flex Nib

PolishedThread

Dear fountain pen friends-  Can anyone tell me if the nib and the feed of the Armando Simoni Bologna Extra magic-flex nib has registration pins or grooves to align the metal nib to the partially flexible feed. When I attempted to remove the nib / ink sack assembly by unscrewing it from the section, I only succeeded in slightly shifting the alignment between the nib and feed by a millimeter or so, while the threaded assembly didn’t shift at all. In that heart stopping moment I remembered the special ebonite feed has a slit near the front of it allowing it to flex with the nib a slight bit. But how if the two elements are not connected? Perhaps just sprung tension designed into the feed causing it to press up against the nib and follow it?

I instantly shifted the feed and centered it between the edges of the nib and started breathing again. I’m gun shy about attempting to remove the nib / sack component a second time to further investigate, unless I’m told I should. If in fact the nib floats above the feed without a mechanical affirmative connection, a snap or click etc., and is only held in place by being snugly threaded into the section and aligned by hand and eye, then no harm done and my simple visual alignment is all that is necessary, otherwise perhaps I should try again to unscrew the nib to make certain the proper required connection is made. Any insight would be appreciated.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• como

• PolishedThread

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@PolishedThreadIn theory you should be able to unscrew the nib unit out (nib/feed/collar). However, if during assembly the person screws in the unit a little too tightly, you will encounter the problem of shifting nib/feed but not getting the collar out. 

Please see my earlier thread on this. I now do not have this pen any more though.

Thank you for your reply. Your note reassured me that the shifting of the nib/feed interface can occur when the nib/feed/collar assembly don't budge as expected. In the photos you posted it is not clear if the nib and feed are simply friction fit into the collar or whether the if the nib/feed were removed entirely the two components would simply come apart. On some pens that I've had the occasion to disassemble to clean, one is assured that that the nib is seated correctly on the feed. It either is or it isn't. But from what you said, it seems this is not the case with the Magic-Flex nib. I really like this pen and it is very enjoyable to write with. I would not wish to think my little misguided unnecessary disassembly adventure would put it out of intended spec.  Once again thank you for your reply.

@PolishedThreadThere aren’t any grooves in nib collar to help seat nib and feed more securely if I recall correctly, to create enough friction to make screwing/unscrewing the nib collar in and out of section more easily. Nib/feed just friction fit into collar. Collar is the screw type into the section. So if you manage to shift or even pull out nib/feed but the collar is stuck in the section, you might want to consider doing what I did, using rubber band wrapped on a dowel/chopstick to create some friction to unscrew the collar out. Be careful the pressure is evenly applied and support the outer section wall with your fingers. Some of the ASC Bologna Extra have rather thin celluloid section. Careful not to crack it.

Once again you've lowered my blood pressure. Thank you. I've had that same problem with old lightbulbs that have broken off their base, leaving only the threaded portion in the socket. Home Depot sells a rubber bulb shaped device that one forces into the socket grabbing the old base so one can screw it out. Chop sticks and rubber-bands are without doubt a logical corollary. Hopefully it won't come to that. I just was being too timid and too careful, which is definitely a thing for me when it comes to fine things I value. So you can see my delightful possession which make me happy to look at and to use I've included pictures of it alone and with friends.

IMG_0346.jpeg

IMG_0353.jpeg

@PolishedThreadI hope that you have solved your pen issue? Thank you very much for sharing photo of your pens. They are very diverse and look very nice. The first, second, and fourth are classics! I've always wondered about that big Cross Darth Vader. Do you like the nib? The design is very cool!