Top Posters In This Topic

• bokaba

• dan in montreal

• namrehsnoom

• mizgeorge

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for sharing.

So the most interesting think about this is the name....which tells nothing about the ink.....why am I not surprised.

1 hour ago, BaronWulfraed said:

I'd entertain a notion that it is supposed to fit the "hunter green" favored in the French "Empire style" of Napoleon I period.

Described as "bolder, richer and darker". Perhaps evocative of the Early Empire "light, soft colors"?

Would have been helpful if they had shown the colours.

Presently in a Minimalistica with a 0.45 CI titanium nib.

Add lightness and simplicate.

My bottle looks slightly greener that your scan.

Despite I actually like the subtle shade of green, which is the reason why I bought it, I find it not saturated enough, to the point I often find it hard to read, especially in use with finer nibs, which prevents me from using it much.

I've sometimes been tempted to mix it with a darker shade to see what happens...

Mine is definitely a lot greener than it looks here - somewhere closer to MB Jungle or Papier Plume Streetcar. I like it a lot - enough to have bought a big bottle. It's works beautifully with a couple of my Pelikan 140 and 400 series with slightly faded bindes.

14 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Mine is definitely a lot greener than it looks here - somewhere closer to MB Jungle or Papier Plume Streetcar. I like it a lot - enough to have bought a big bottle. It's works beautifully with a couple of my Pelikan 140 and 400 series with slightly faded bindes.

It is greener than it appears here, but not that much.

I really like Vert Empire - my favourite J.Herbin green. I find the greyish tones very appealing, especially in dry pens with broader nibs (like e.g. a Lamy Safari B nib). The subtlety of this green needs drier pens in my opinion. With wet pens, you lose the faded look that is the hallmark of this ink.

This is one of my favorite inks ever. My go-to green. The scan is very different than what I see when I use it. My current bottle is a whole lot greener. Bought it a year ago and it's almost empty. Curently in a Sailor 1911 Standard with a music nib.

The Napoleon reference seems correct.  I really like it, and I've discovered the muted Herbin colors really suit me these days. I keep coming back to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Back when the most hated ink in the world; the murky MB Racing Green was discontinued....so many folks woke up the next day thinking murky thoughts and if one had three unopened bottles you could send your kid to Yale.

Vert empire was hoped to be a replacement for Now Greatly Beloved Racing Green; but after much testing ; it was concluded Vert Empire was not Racing Green; the disappointment is still reverberating around the world.

How hated was MB including it's inks, the Advice Noobies read was buy the bottle, dump the ink down the bathroom sink. Keep the Bottle.

So there I was in my B&M with a bottle of that dispised ink, in my hand,and me having a metal flake racing green MX-5; decided to try the brown; not knowing Sepia was not a brown ink, instead.

It was pretty good brown ink, so I didn't dump it down the sink after all...

Still have have a bottle of Vert Empire, every time I say it's time.... a new ink elbows it's way higher up the waiting ink line.

I don't wake up feeling as murky as I should....:(

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.