Pelikan shortage in the UK?

SleeperService

Hey everyone,

I’m not super up to date with all the inner workings of Pelikan, but have been trying to buy some form of M800 in the UK since the new year, but all of my normal places seem to be sold out indefinitely. 
Is there something I’ve missed, or is this another Brexit/Covid casualty?

thanks for your time!

p.s. on a related note, are people generally happy with the M800 as a workhorse type pen?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SleeperService

• Karmachanic

• brokenclay

• mizgeorge

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just going to ask a similar question about the US. There doesn't  seem to be much in stock anywhere. 

Cult Pens appear to have some, as do The Writing desk. Depends on whether you're looking for a particular colour/edition.

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

p.s. on a related note, are people generally happy with the M800 as a workhorse type pen?

Definitely.

4 hours ago, SleeperService said:

No, but I like smaller pens (M200/M400).

Nice pens, depending on size you prefer, they can be workhorse pens, like most Pelikans they are built to last and to work reliably. If I had to choose a workhorse Pelikan I would probably prefer an M600 for size and weight (lighter than an M800, and also I don't have very big hands), and if it has to be a carry around pen, M200 is my go to.

10 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Cult Pens appear to have some, as do The Writing desk. Depends on whether you're looking for a particular colour/edition.

Yeah, the writing desk is usually one of my first stops because they check their nibs before shipping. I’m looking for the M805 Stresemann in fine, but there’s only EFs available if any at all. Guess I’ll just wait for a restock. I wasn’t under the impression that it was a limited run. 

8 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Yeah, the writing desk is usually one of my first stops because they check their nibs before shipping. I’m looking for the M805 Stresemann in fine, but there’s only EFs available if any at all. Guess I’ll just wait for a restock. I wasn’t under the impression that it was a limited run. 

Have you asked them if they can swap the nib for you? They're normally very helpful about that sort of thing.

2 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Have you asked them if they can swap the nib for you? They're normally very helpful about that sort of thing.

Oh thanks. I’ll give that a go!

Hi ho Sleeper Service, sure enough I was just in touch with

the sales rep at Cult Pens and their stock is pretty depleted

with no idea when the next shipment to arrive. Myself I was

quite disappointed as I would save a good chunk of change

making my purchase from them. All they could do was to

assure me that they would e-mail me when stock arrives.

I've been saving for nearly a year so no rush really. Slainte.

15 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

There are no Stresemann replacement (rhodium monotone) nibs. One would have to return the pen to Germany for a nib exchange. EF nib will put down a wider line. F perhaps.

Add lightness and simplicate.

15 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

There are no Stresemann replacement (rhodium monotone) nibs.

Isn't this it? https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/PK53149/pelikan-m805-replacement-nib

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

25 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Yup!

Interesting in that there were none when I had the need, a year or so ago. I was told to contact the UK distributor, who in turn referred me to Hanover. Hanover suggested a two tone. But I was looking for a M1005 replacement.

to add: I sent the nib off to the Nib Doctor and now have an F that no longer puts down a B line.

Add lightness and simplicate.

On 2/27/2021 at 9:46 AM, SleeperService said:

I’m looking for the M805 Stresemann in fine, but there’s only EFs available if any at all. Guess I’ll just wait for a restock. I wasn’t under the impression that it was a limited run. 

Stresemann M405/605/805 are all regular production now. M1005 Stresemann is/was a special edition, and is getting harder to find.

On 2/26/2021 at 8:17 PM, SleeperService said:

If you like a somewhat larger pen, with a little bit of heft (though I wouldn’t call it really heavy), you won’t be disappointed. If by workhorse you mean a reliable, everyday writer, no problem with an M800.