Nibs that bring you joy

I have lost my heart to a Mabie Todd ringtop with a supernaturally flexible nib - Medium to Triple Broad. It's not its theoretical capacity that thrills, but that it flexes beautifully with the whisper of pressure I give it while writing. I have a lot of pens, and I could sell them all and just keep this one.

And it cost me like fifty bucks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ibrahim

• A Smug Dill

• gyasko

• ethernautrix

You will some day have more pens.

Chase The Nib.

If one only counts every other from F to BB in Stub and CI; there are at least 45 other different nibs; in all widths and flexes one can have. XXF, EF, F, M, B, BB...well some go wild and get BBB.

Nail, semi-nail, regular flex, semi-flex, maxi-semi-flex..........and three levels of superflex.....no hurry.......dither much, perhaps the nib width and flex comes in one of the 3 or so brands you collect; if you go back far enough.

Chase the nib you don't have and not some make and model. I really don't think you need all 51 colors of the P-51.

I have 35 semi-flex and 14 maxi-semi-flex.........very slightly flexi. Flair nibs (they write with a nice clean line).....not for calligraphy and how fat can I make the nib write....that is for superflex.

Slowly I got into springy comfortable riding regular flex nibs. (Some 15 or so of them now) That is a stage stiffer than semi-flex.........it too writes with a clean line............and being a touch dryer handles two toned shading inks better than semi-flex, which has to have a better paper and ink match for shading..............in semi-flex due to ease of nib bend and spread, is a wetter writer.

I put my first semi-flex pen a Pelikan 140, that I'd read about on the com on my thumbnail to check the flex.....:eureka::D; suddenly I knew what the fuss was all about, with out even inking the pen.

It is a life time hobby; And The Golden Rule of Fountain Pens IS: don't hurry.

Do not join The Pen of the Week in the Mail Club.

Nor pen of the month.

Pen of the quarter works best in you have so much time to profoundly dither. And get a better pen...having saved up money....suggest an antique glass milk bottle..

Then there the amazing inks.....and remember the paper that makes them dance.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.