Mr. Crab, holder of pens!

LizEF

MrCrabby.jpg.d86e2e0ae7cfd80c01ec4546cc81f094.jpg

Someone on Reddit posted a pic of this little guy and I had to get the set and make one for myself. :D  Isn't he adorable!?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Tasmith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is just ADORABLE!  Of course my three small Pelikan pen stands would probably be so enraged at the interloper they'd peck it to death.... :lol: 

Then eat it....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

17 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Then eat it....

This afternoon, a friend took me to lunch and I had ....... snow crab legs!  (Shhhhh, don't tell Mr. Crab!) :lol:

PS: For anyone who wants to know which set to find him in... 3-in-1 Deep Sea Creatures.

10 minutes ago, LizEF said:

For anyone who wants to know which set to find him in... 3-in-1 Deep Sea Creatures.

Thanks for the link. I didn't realise it's Lego!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

16 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Thanks for the link. I didn't realise it's Lego!

You're welcome!  Some Legos don't immediately appear to be Legos - so many custom pieces.

That's an m405 (~4.75" / 12.2cm) he's holding (just for perspective, since it's hard to distinguish the various sizes of Pelikan without reference) - he's quite small.

I went out to Target today and picked up one of those kits. :blush:  Wondering how the shark or the polypus would do as pen holders as well as Mr. Crab.  (By the time I paid tax and shipping, I'm not sure that I lost any money over ordering from Amazon, since I had to go to the Sam's Club in the same plaza today anyway.

But after seeing the Lego Beatles "collectible wall art kit": https://www.target.com/p/lego-art-the-beatles-collectible-creative-beatles-canvas-wall-art-building-kit-31198/-/A-78929949#lnk=sametab

I don't feel NEARLY so bad about the price of the sea critters kit.... (Some woman was in the same aisle telling someone on the phone about them, and I looked at the sticker price, and got serious sticker SHOCK.... :yikes:)

So....  I've never actually really played with Legos before.  Are there instructions in the box on how to actually make the different shapes?  I didn't have a lot of time between getting home from the store and getting the groceries in the fridge (and bringing the mail in) before eating dinner and then watching a Zoom Shakespeare movie night production that friends have been running with the videos that another friend inherited from her dad.  Tonight's viewing was the 2013 RSC production of Richard II with David Tennant (I'm not nearly as familiar with the history plays as I am with the comedies and tragedies).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

7 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

I went out to Target today and picked up one of those kits.

:lticaptd:

9 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Are there instructions in the box on how to actually make the different shapes?

Very detailed, step-by-step instructions, and three booklets for the different options on the large shape.  Only one booklet includes the crab, and it's the first thing you build.  Building the crab takes no time compared to the shark.

And I thought jigsaw puzzles were time consuming.... :lol:

9 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

And I thought jigsaw puzzles were time consuming.... :lol:

:lol:  Think of it as a 3D jigsaw.

On 2/27/2021 at 3:40 PM, inkstainedruth said:

I got one today, too, after getting Myer (one of the very few remaining national chains of department stores that survived the past decade and hasn't quite sunk to the level of Big W and Kmart … just yet) to price-match Kmart and then spending what's on a loyalty programme gift card to pay for it, given I hardly buy anything there these days any more. The price on Amazon.com.au for the product is nearly double what I ‘paid’.

21 hours ago, LizEF said:

Think of it as a 3D jigsaw.

You enabler, you!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On 2/25/2021 at 11:11 PM, LizEF said:

MrCrabby.jpg.d86e2e0ae7cfd80c01ec4546cc81f094.jpg

Someone on Reddit posted a pic of this little guy and I had to get the set and make one for myself. :D  Isn't he adorable!?

I have several pens in rotation..I need an octopussy..😄

19 minutes ago, Mr.Rene said:

I have several pens in rotation..I need an octopussy..😄

The kit can be used to build a squid instead of a shark - though I think the squid variant prevents you from making the crab (not sure on that).  Either way, the squid doesn't look capable of holding one pen well, let alone several.

I believe I've seen (perhaps on reddit) octopus pen holders.  Not sure if they were meant to be pen holders...  Best of luck in your search!

On 2/26/2021 at 9:40 PM, inkstainedruth said:

Um....

On 2/25/2021 at 7:19 PM, inkstainedruth said:

Of course my three small Pelikan pen stands would probably be so enraged at the interloper they'd peck it to death...

... how fares poor Mr. Crabby in enemy territory? ;)

Well, at the moment, I haven't even had a chance to open the box.  I got the kit just a couple of days ago, and had too much going on to even get the kit out of the front hallway.  And tomorrow I have to do the last load of laundry (too pooped after trailing up and down stairs at several houses this afternoon to look at stuff my friend was trying to give away from houses deceased relatives of hers used to live in).

18 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Well, at the moment, I haven't even had a chance to open the box.  I got the kit just a couple of days ago, and had too much going on to even get the kit out of the front hallway.  And tomorrow I have to do the last load of laundry (too pooped after trailing up and down stairs at several houses this afternoon to look at stuff my friend was trying to give away from houses deceased relatives of hers used to live in).

:)  No worries.  Mr. Crab will wait.  Take a load off!

Yeah, maybe tomorrow night.  I need to take some bills to the post office and do some grocery shopping, as well as the last of the laundry.  Ironically, I did three loads on Saturday evening, to get a jump on it, then did two more this morning before we went out to meet our friend at her mother's house and then follow her to the other two locations.  Got done around 5:30 or so, then had to follow her partway back to her mom's (so we knew where we were), and then did takeout at Subway on the way home.  And on the way up to her mom's, we stopped and got a Sunday paper and the new edition of the local weekly (our neighbor around the corner, who's property backs onto our back yard along one side, is the publisher/managing editor, taking over for her father when he passed away a few years ago).  I like The Citizen because you get really *local* news (town council and school board minutes, local police blotters, and so on for our town and a few of the surrounding ones.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to assembling this today (with some help from my wife :blush:). I didn't realise how bloody complex Lego has become, in the forty years since I last touched the stuff!

On 2/27/2021 at 3:51 PM, LizEF said:

Building the crab takes no time compared to the shark.

That's true.

large.1001670322_SailorPromenadeShiningRedpenheldupbyLegocrab(2pics).jpg.5155081a7bb01c145ae1477c03c95491.jpg

On 2/27/2021 at 3:40 PM, inkstainedruth said:

Wondering how the shark or the polypus would do as pen holders as well as Mr. Crab.

Not particularly well, but it's possible:

large.1322346536_SwirlyorangeKaigelu316penproppedupbyLegoshark(2pics).jpg.5e3993a3ce6d479e16d0a1075218b070.jpg

Or maybe you have a pen that only needed a little bit of help to stand upright:

large.1889452621_SwirlyorangeKaigelu316penleaningagainstLegoshark.jpg.e4fa506114a1ff2944245479f3f0861d.jpg

7 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I finally got around to assembling this today (with some help from my wife :blush:). I didn't realise how bloody complex Lego has become, in the forty years since I last touched the stuff!

:D Very nice.  Mr. Crab makes a guest appearance in one of my videos - I just can't remember which one....  (Found it.  It was #84 Pilot Mixable Colour Pink.)