Looking for help to ID this vintage pen

shalitha33

I'm looking for some info trying to Id  this vintage eyedropper pen. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sadly there are no marks on the barrel or nib.  Feed is a very basic thin piece of hard rubber with a groove cut in the middle. its broken part way and must have entered in to the barrel when complete. Previous owner mentioned this was an ebay purchase and the nib was a replacement. Feed however seems to be what this pen came with. Other than that there is no history / info on this pen :(

IMG_20210225_185814.thumb.jpg.8de1b13d7f921edafad7a60ebd9f5cb1.jpg

two gold bands are pretty impressive compared to that of wirt or waterman pens of this time. although its heavily worn out details at very fine and expertly done.

IMG_20210225_185852.jpg.3571eff0bd297439d574ebb3801c9cb3.jpg

Current nib is completely flat and is held in place with a slight bend . there are no grooves or anything to hold it in the barrel , feeds is wedged between the barrel and the nib.

IMG_20210225_185913.jpg.93661379ecd13423c87ca6e43ff11ace.jpg

unlike other nibs this nib is not curved at all. I have had another nib just like this one that I got as a set of spare nibs few years back.

this seems identical and both has no markings.

IMG_20210225_185922.jpg.04adba5178a5bb1c7299571b17527156.jpg

any info is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shalitha33

• Manofadventure

• mizgeorge

• Mr.Rene

I do not know to much about your pen..it looks like around early 1900 year's pen (Art Nouveau band design). The material should be made of ebonite (Hard Rubber), Filler system eyedropper. Maybe it comes from a small pen maker..a custom made pen. Best Regards.

I'd say it was a Mabie Todd Swan (1500?) that should have an over and under feed - the over bit is missing. About 1910.  

You are very lucky - this is a pen I covet quite badly!!

it's very unlikely to be a Mabie Todd . i have a couple of them. it doesn't match up with any of the other ones i have as well :( as Mr.Rene mentioned it could be of a small pen maker or a custom pen of some form. My daily use pen wiredly  is a Swan 3012. its about the same size bit a bit longer. this one is an overfeed. almost like a wirt but a lot simpler feed.

Sorry - I was looking at a very grubby tablet screen and just saw the pretty chasing on the bands, which immediately looked like the last 1500 I had. Looking now on a better screen, I see clearly it's not. The decoration is like a hybrid Mabie Todd/Lucky Curve, but the nib is definitely not either!

I feel I've seen that flat nib somewhere before, but it's too late at night for my brain to be functioning properly now. 

It looks a lot of fun - I hope you manage to identify it!

Recently, I came across an online estate auction where they had a very similar Aikin Lambert or Fairchild from the 1890's.

They were over/under feeds and the nib appeared to be flat and without any curve, just like in your images.

Thank you all for all the valuable info on this :). 

@Manofadventure I have a couple of Aiken lambert pens, their construction is very different :(. I don't have any fairchild pens :( but i believe they too have flat nibs. Would love to see a Fairchild pen.

chasing kind of looks a bit like caw's dashway pen i have, but barrel threads looks very different.  Unfortunately i don't have that many examples or experience / knowledge in this area to compare against :(

This design, triple knurled/rope band, urn shaped section, unvented nib,  was made for many brands in the 1890s by the Day Rubber company.  There may have been other makers as well. The pens were imprinted, or not, and feeds and nibs added by various brands.   The feeds will differ, but the feeds are over feeds or over and under feeds of various designs. Unvented nibs fit into tiny slots inside the section.   Wirt was typical and most prominent. This pen has all the design features of a Wirt pen, except for the Wirt imprints.  It would also not have a Wirt feed. there are also Parker pens with the Lucky Curve overfeed that match the design. The major brands were imprinted and often with imprinted nibs.  I have one marked Raymond and one marked Columbian that have the same overfeed with short  underfeed and unmarked nibs. I also have an unmarked version with a simple over and underfeed that resembles the Swan version, but without the twisted wire.

14 hours ago, shalitha33 said:

Thank you all for all the valuable info on this :). 

@Manofadventure I have a couple of Aiken lambert pens, their construction is very different :(. I don't have any fairchild pens :( but i believe they too have flat nibs. Would love to see a Fairchild pen.

chasing kind of looks a bit like caw's dashway pen i have, but barrel threads looks very different.  Unfortunately i don't have that many examples or experience / knowledge in this area to compare against :(

@shalitha33 Here's the link that I was referring to https://www.proxibid.com/Art-Antiques-Collectibles/Collectibles/Fairchild-s-Unique-BCHR-FP/lotInformation/59407730

Ty all for the info :) 

W.M Weidlich & Bro / The Write Pen co pens  are the closest i got to matching the threads in the section. I only have 2 other pens so not much to go with :(. Pen in the box has a curved nib but the earlier one has a fairly flat nib with folds only at the very edge.

Tapered cap pen has a very weak imprint thats barely visible. and there is also no trace of ink on it except on the very edge of the feed and the nib. so i guess that was only ever dipped in a very shallow inkwell. there is still rubber dust on the section, barrel and the inner parts of the feed.  Unidentified pen also has a block set for the imprint on the barrel, but nothing in it. it also could be the block set aside to engrave owners name :(

As Greenie said these are probably sourced by the same barrel manufacturer so we will never know what that pen actually is.

@Manofadventure @Wahl @Greenie @mizgeorge @Mr.Rene Thank you soomuch for the info , photos and links :)

IMG_20210228_130209.thumb.jpg.3329b3d3d2dae0a113f8eb6c4661bf82.jpg

IMG_20210228_130309.thumb.jpg.a1db2c99627371475edbc4e9ae068c1e.jpg

IMG_20210228_130635.thumb.jpg.923361041ecb0c805df40d89f6766f8c.jpg

IMG_20210228_130618.thumb.jpg.b29824b7b18f31e56faa3ae31098751e.jpg