My brand new 146 LeGrand is a bit of a skipper!

TheDiplomat

My abiding concern is that individual nibs were perhaps not comprehensively performance tested prior to leaving the factory. Maybe my memory is bad on this issue, but I seem to recall corporate advertising suggesting each nib is individually evaluated. Given the cost of these pens, one hopes that writing issues would be detected and corrected before sales.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheDiplomat

• maclink

• adair

• meiers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, KAC said:Given the cost of these pens, one hopes that writing issues would be detected and corrected before sales.

That was exactly my hope/expectation

2 hours ago, Tasmith said:

I've neen using Platinum Pigmented Blue in my 146 since last June and it is by far my favorite ink to use in it.

Interesting. 🙂 How often do you flush the pen?  Between refills?

8 hours ago, Tasmith said:

I flush it every refill.

... and how long between refills?  Very curious since I'm also exploring using indelible inks routinely for work, one of my 146's being a prospect.  I now have a bottle of Platinum Pigment Black and am also liking it a lot.  So far, I've been using MontBlanc Permanent Black.

4 hours ago, maclink said:

... and how long between refills?  Very curious since I'm also exploring using indelible inks routinely for work, one of my 146's being a prospect.  I now have a bottle of Platinum Pigment Black and am also liking it a lot.  So far, I've been using MontBlanc Permanent Black.

About 2-3 weeks between refills.  I have had Platinum Pigmented Blue in other pens that have sat for well over a month and started writing immediately.  Never had a problem with it drying out in any pen.

I have had problems with MB Permanent Blue drying out and clogging my 146.  I tried MB Permanent Black, but found it too wet and prone to feather. 

1 hour ago, Tasmith said:

About 2-3 weeks between refills.  I have had Platinum Pigmented Blue in other pens that have sat for well over a month and started writing immediately.  Never had a problem with it drying out in any pen.

I have had problems with MB Permanent Blue drying out and clogging my 146.  I tried MB Permanent Black, but found it too wet and prone to feather. 

Fab... thanks!  

Back to the 146, I just handed it over to the Montblanc guys in the boutique where I got it and they’ll send it to Dubai.

let them sweat a little ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanking again everyone who commented and guided me on the skipping problem, I feel a small update is necessary.

I picked up the pen from Montblanc today, it went to Dubai for nib “regulation”, the service also changed the feed. 
I got myself a bottle of that Elvis Presley dark blue ink and so far so good! I think the skipping has been eliminated.

Thanks for all contributions and tips once again!

On 2/27/2021 at 10:42 AM, Tasmith said:

I find the MB PB a wonderful ink but it needs to be use quickly before it starts to dry in the pen.

My other favorite being Sailor Sei-Boku. It is perhaps a perfect ink (color, lubrication, permanent, etc.)

TheDiplomat: Glad you got it sorted out. Enjoy your pen!

3 hours ago, TheDiplomat said:

I think the skipping has been eliminated.

Good to hear.  You can now enjoy your pen! :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

I have a slightly different issue with my MB 146 "fine" point. It is a very wet writer--I'd say medium to broad! I want to use a black ink. I tried Aurora Black, but, OMG, it gushes, to the point that the individual letters in a word get muddled and become illegible. I guess I need a drier ink. Should I go for MB Mystery Ink? (Never tried it!)  Or something drier? Like Pelikan? Any other suggestions?

Yup. Pelikan 4001 Black, or Sailor Kiwa-guro if you're feeling adventurous. It's a pigment ink.

Add lightness and simplicate.

41 minutes ago, adair said:

Or maybe a Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite?

I wouldn’t go with that one. It’s a favourite of mine and I wouldn’t consider it a dry ink. I agree on the 4001 inks. 

So, I tried loading it with Pelikan "Brilliant Black" 4001. Slightly better than the Aurora black but not by much--all the spaces in the o's and d's, for example, get filled in. I think the problem is the nib--a smooth MB that claims to be fine but is wet as a broad-nib. It will gush no matter what color. 

Well, yes... the MB nibs are very wet and size to two sizes broader than indicated. My 146 is a fine too but feels like a proper B. It does fill in the spaces in d’s, e’s and so on too. That’s how they are... I don’t mind on the one hand, on the other hand - I didn’t really develop a big fondness for my LeGrand. I use it, but to no great satisfaction. My humble Pelican M200 Classic gives much more pleasure and only cost about 15% of the MB 146’s price.