Syringe blunt needle for cartridge refills

kavanagh

Dear Colleagues,

I’ve realised that some of my pens will not accept ink converters and that not recycling plastic ink cartridges is expensive ( money that can be better spent on new pens ....)

I want to refill ink cartridges with bottled ink, but I’m not sure what needle diameter to use ( blunt tip needle ) that will slide comfortably inside the mouth of a standard international cartridge to inject the ink.

fleabay has a variety of blunt tip needles, but the sizes are confusing, they go from 14G to 25G. 
1) Can anyone tell me the best size to use, and also if a 10ml syringe is sufficient?. 
2) Is it also better to use a separate empty ink bottle from which to extract the ink ( rather than the original ink bottle, with the risk of contaminating it with the blunt needle).

Thank you guys

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kavanagh

• sansenri

• Karmachanic

• Daosus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, kavanagh said:

Thank you Karmachanic. 

You're welcome. Pass it on.

Add lightness and simplicate.

1 hour ago, kavanagh said:

the sizes are confusing, they go from 14G to 25G. 

The larger its gauge number, the thinner the needle is. A 14-gauge needle will easily pass through the 2.4mm-diameter opening on an international standard cartridge. Chinese fountain pens typically use cartridges with wider openings than that, as does Lamy, Parker, Pilot, etc.

1 hour ago, kavanagh said:

1) Can anyone tell me the best size to use, and also if a 10ml syringe is sufficient?

The thinner the needle, the harder it will be to draw ink through it into the syringe, so you'll probably want to use as thick a needle as you can get that will cleanly pass through the opening of the cartridge. The typical ink cartridge holds less than 1ml of ink, so a 10ml syringe is overkill.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Thanks for the advice A Smug Dill.

I’ve always wanted to do this, but was put off by the logistics of needles and the mess it could create.

I regret throwing away those Cross Cartridges (that have a unique shape), in to the bin.
I suppose it’s also a financially efficient way of making pens write wetter (by using a Diamine ink ), without having to send it to a nibmeister.

Edited by kavanagh
Grammatical error

You can also buy regular hypodermic needles and blunt the end yourself (although you may need a sharpening stone or various grit sandpaper).  That's what I did -- bought a 10 pack of needles at a pharmacy (the really thin needle ones used for insulin) and my husband has a sharpening stone he acquired somewhere or other.  I did that early on, but then decided I hated cleaning and refilling cartridges.  

There's also a hack that Como posted photos of in another thread, where he cut the back end off a cartridge and glued on a cut-down sac with shellac, thus turning it into a makeshift bulb-filler.  I may try that trick for the Penatia (Cross sub-brand) pen, because it apparently only takes International Standard short cartridges (the Edelstein cartridges I have are too long for the barrel to fit over), if I can't find decent International Standard short converters -- having read decidedly mixed reviews of Kaweco converters.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Father Christmas brought me some of these - and I have to say they are much easier to use - the spring means I can do the whole thing one handed, which for someone who spills as much ink as I do is a big bonus!

sprung-syringes.jpg

Industrial syringes with blunt needles can be found on Ebay.  Shop a bit through the offerings, and you'll find some decent prices.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

35 minutes ago, irrigger said:

Where did "Father Christmas" find the spring loaded syringes

Throw "spring filler ink" into Google.  I've thought about using them for precisely applying solvent to the bottom of a barrel (e.g., Sheaffer vac-fills), but I'll save that question for a different part of this site :)

Those spring fillers are nice!

I bought a short blunt needle (and syringe) from our local ranch supply store.

I've used ordinary 2.5 ml syringes since time immemorial... and never really bothered that they were not blunt needles either...

but those springy ink fillers do look nice!

2 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

You can also buy regular hypodermic needles and blunt the end yourself (although you may need a sharpening stone or various grit sandpaper).  That's what I did -- bought a 10 pack of needles at a pharmacy (the really thin needle ones used for insulin) and my husband has a sharpening stone he acquired somewhere or other.  I did that early on, but then decided I hated cleaning and refilling cartridges.  

There's also a hack that Como posted photos of in another thread, where he cut the back end off a cartridge and glued on a cut-down sac with shellac, thus turning it into a makeshift bulb-filler.  I may try that trick for the Penatia (Cross sub-brand) pen, because it apparently only takes International Standard short cartridges (the Edelstein cartridges I have are too long for the barrel to fit over), if I can't find decent International Standard short converters -- having read decidedly mixed reviews of Kaweco converters.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ruth, to blunt the end of a syringe with a sharpening stone is dedication to the cause!. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, Ron Z said:

Industrial syringes with blunt needles can be found on Ebay.  Shop a bit through the offerings, and you'll find some decent prices.

Ron Z, will do - Karmachanic sent me a useful link.

13 minutes ago, sansenri said:

I've used ordinary 2.5 ml syringes since time immemorial... and never really bothered that they were not blunt needles either...

but those springy ink fillers do look nice!

Would it still be worth investing in an empty ink bottle, and take the batch of ink from that for the cartridges ? - I don’t want to contaminate or introduce flora in to the original ink bottle as it could encourage mould growth. 

When I run out I go to the pharmacy and tell them i need real syringes for my fountain pen hobby, each time they have readily obliged.

Or I ask the doctor or other healthcare person at an attended clinic for a few for my fountain pen hobby.

For Australians looking for a blunt needles syringe: I got mine from LarryPost. Very cheap, bought two five years ago. Still using the first one... Good for cleaning cartridges as well as filling them.

Just saying. There will be other places with them too.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

9 hours ago, kavanagh said:

Would it still be worth investing in an empty ink bottle, and take the batch of ink from that for the cartridges ? - I don’t want to contaminate or introduce flora in to the original ink bottle as it could encourage mould growth. 

5ml sample vials 😀

Add lightness and simplicate.

9 hours ago, AmandaW said:

There will be other places with them too.

Such as my study, haha… I have more than a hundred of them sitting in a box, mostly intended for ink sample giveaways that will never happen now.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

3 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

5ml sample vials 😀

Aha! - Good idea - and a good excuse to try out a new ink!. 

11 hours ago, AmandaW said:

For Australians looking for a blunt needles syringe: I got mine from LarryPost. Very cheap, bought two five years ago. Still using the first one... Good for cleaning cartridges as well as filling them.

Just saying. There will be other places with them too.

Cheers AmandaW, I would love to try some of those Blackstone Inks from Australia ( called Colours of Australia) from the site below:

https://justwrite.com.au/blackstone-fountain-pen-ink/blackstone-fountain-pen-ink-colours-of-australia