Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, ENewton said:

What Rhodia paper do you mean?  

 

It's been a while since I've used any, but I recall it having a brushed feeling... like the paper had been finished with micro-mesh.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • ENewton

    6

  • maclink

    3

  • inkstainedruth

    3

  • BadsCase

    3

Sure why not. I do the opposite I use a pen with a different color ink in my journal each day so that I can see at a glance which where a a new entry starts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
inkstainedruth

I actually do that too, but it's with whatever pens are inked up at the moment.  Although every now and then I find myself doing a morning pages entry in two or three different colors when I run out of ink in something.... :rolleyes:

I've read posts where people will write each line in their journal in a different color ink, but that's just a little OCD even for me.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hehe thank you for your responses. It’s nice to know other people do it too. My brother thinks I’m weird doing that lol. 
 

I noticed no one mentioned using midori papers. Maybe it’s not as popular in the west side of the planet? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

 

I've read posts where people will write each line in their journal in a different color ink, but that's just a little OCD even for me.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

 

I suppose I am one of those people.  In my informal writing, which I almost always discard as soon as I've filled the page on both sides, I usually switch inks from one paragraph to the next, but if I don't think I will have time to write more than one paragraph, I switch inks from sentence to sentence.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BadsCase said:

Hehe thank you for your responses. It’s nice to know other people do it too. My brother thinks I’m weird doing that lol. 
 

I noticed no one mentioned using midori papers. Maybe it’s not as popular in the west side of the planet? 

 

I enjoy the paper and the practical design of my Midori MD A5 notebooks.  I also have a Traveler's Notebook with Midori paper in it and would probably use it much more if only it lay flatter.  The fact that I can buy Midori products in a brick-and-mortar store in my area (San Francisco) suggests that they are at least somewhat popular here.

 

I do know some people who use only white paper, because other shades change the apparent hue of a given ink.  For example, a cream-colored paper might make a blue lean toward green.  I actually prefer cream-colored paper.  To me it has a vintage look.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ENewton said:

 

I enjoy the paper and the practical design of my Midori MD A5 notebooks.  I also have a Traveler's Notebook with Midori paper in it and would probably use it much more if only it lay flatter.  The fact that I can buy Midori products in a brick-and-mortar store in my area (San Francisco) suggests that they are at least somewhat popular here.

 

I do know some people who use only white paper, because other shades change the apparent hue of a given ink.  For example, a cream-colored paper might make a blue lean toward green.  I actually prefer cream-colored paper.  To me it has a vintage look.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I prefer cream-colored paper too! Or Ivory. It gives this “not boring” look. It’s been a challenge to find the “perfect” warm light grey for cream colored papers. I have to mix herbin gris nuage and diamine grey to achieve a warm light grey. The kaweco smokey grey is a warm grey that I like but not as light as The herbin gris nuage. Ive read the diamine silver fox is one of the lightest but I cant find it locally in my country. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
TheDutchGuy

One of the first things I had to accept after starting with this hobby is that I’ve nothing to say in which pen likes which inks. The pen and the ink have their own ideas about this and if I’m lucky then at some point I’ll discover the right pairing.

 

Paper really matters. Not every nib likes every kind of paper and neither do I.

 

Going back to the OP’s point, yes, I do use certain pens for certain tasks. Not strictly, but loosely. I find that my Pro Gear Slim F with kiwaguro is wonderful for botanical drawings, so that’s what I mostly use for that. I don’t really pair notebooks to specific pens, although the paper used in a certain notebook might limit my choise of pens and inks to prevent feathering etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Specific pens for specific things": I am pretty sure that this is another excuse to justify having more pens, for pen/ink addicts and stationery junkies 😀.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The fun of having more than one pen is that you can decide which pen you want to use for what purpose. But most pens were/are meant to be used for general purpose. For me, it’s mostly the nib. I prefer finer nibs for writing math equations and broader ones for personal letters. For notes I grab whatever pen is in reach.

Link to post
Share on other sites
inkstainedruth

It occurred to me that I do have a preference in one other respect -- if I have to do research, and take copious notes, my go-to pen is a Parker 51 Vac with a nicely tuned EF nib; between holding a lot of ink, and the EF nib not putting a lot of it down at a time, I can get a lot of work done before refilling the pen.  (The runner up for that sort of work is the Forest Green 51 Aero, also with a worked-on EF nib).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now







×
×
  • Create New...