EFNIR: Montegrappa Dark Blue

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Montegrappa Dark Blue

This is review #81 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Color in the images is pretty close - sort of a flat blue-grey.  Cleaning was fast and easy.

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.MontegrappaDarkBlue.jpg.a7c6f7916ad6c5916b8b32befb6407ba.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.MontegrappaDarkBlueZ.jpg.b26aae1e12753af9b9d92379c4487940.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Pilot Mixable Colour Yellow.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• I-am-not-really-here

• mizgeorge

• yazeh

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job, Liz. Another nice one :thumbup:

I would've never thought seeing a Wizard in a burger joint. But here we are... Looking forward to the next episode ;)

14 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Great job, Liz. Another nice one :thumbup:

I would've never thought seeing a Wizard in a burger joint. But here we are... Looking forward to the next episode ;)

:D Thank you!  Hopefully the next episode is worth the wait (it'll be next Tuesday, not this Friday).

3 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Exactly 'my' sort of color, and good dry time!  But I will have to settle for my bottle of Diamine Indigo.

Thanks for another great review.  👍🏻

It seems very close to Indigo, and not that different from Prussian Blue, so I guess you're not "settling" that much.

You're very welcome! :)

I-am-not-really-here

Good review, as always.  Not my color; might work okay on a dark and stormy day.  No lack of choice for that requirement though. Flow appears to be the worry with this one.  How was cleanup?

27 minutes ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

Good review, as always.  Not my color; might work okay on a dark and stormy day.  No lack of choice for that requirement though. Flow appears to be the worry with this one.  How was cleanup?

Thank you!

Cleanup was quick and easy.  Not sure why it was so picky about moving around in the converter.  As long as ink was touching the feed, flow was fine.  I've heard others complain about air bubbles in the converter preventing their ink from flowing, but this was the first time I've experienced it myself.  (And if I'm being honest, I was a little skeptical of their analysis as I've seen air bubbles in the converter plenty of times and they were never a problem.)  I have to wonder if some converters / cartridges would be fine, while others aren't - based on shape, material, etc.

Meanwhile, how does a cart plus some ridges* turn into a little container for ink?  A container, I might add, that doesn't have ridges*.  Or a horse - shouldn't carts have horses?

* Am I the only one who, upon hearing "ridges" immediately thinks, "Ruffles have ridges"?

Why doesn't the reply editor window include the same buttons as the "new post" editor window?  I had to use an * instead of a numbered footnote! :crybaby: (Hyperbolic emoji.)

I-am-not-really-here

A cart without a horse is just a wheeled table.  Okay instead of buying ink now I want potato chips.

maybe you can copy/paste footnote formatting?  Assuming the Reply editor respected it.  

mizgeorge

Thanks as ever Liz - I'm delighted to say it looks fine, but I'm not tempted. Perhaps because it's just a brand that isn't in my world in terms of pens or ink. 

And I want what we call crisps now too :) 

Can I have some if I tell you the etymology of cartridge?

2 hours ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

A cart without a horse is just a wheeled table.  Okay instead of buying ink now I want potato chips.

maybe you can copy/paste footnote formatting?  Assuming the Reply editor respected it.  

:lol:  Now you know how I feel every time I hear "ridges". ;)  (Sorry to inflict you with the same disease.)

Didn't think about copying and pasting - good interim idea.

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

Thanks as ever Liz - I'm delighted to say it looks fine, but I'm not tempted. Perhaps because it's just a brand that isn't in my world in terms of pens or ink. 

And I want what we call crisps now too :) 

Can I have some if I tell you the etymology of cartridge?

You're very welcome!  I'm not terribly tempted either - at least, not with this nib.  I'm thinking it might be good for my Pelikan m405.

So sorry.  Appears I started a potato-chip/crisp pandemic! ;)

You can have all the crisps you want - I'm sure they have plenty at your local grocery* store. :P   As to the etymology, I suppose you could explain, or I could go look it up, but it's so much more fun to make fun of the word.  (That's rather redundant, isn't it?)

* Or whatever you call it. ;)

mizgeorge
5 minutes ago, LizEF said:

So sorry.  Appears I started a potato-chip/crisp pandemic! ;)

You can have all the crisps you want - I'm sure they have plenty at your local grocery* store. :P   As to the etymology, I suppose you could explain, or I could go look it up, but it's so much more fun to make fun of the word.  (That's rather redundant, isn't it?)

* Or whatever you call it. ;)

Oddly, my daughter has just been eating a potato chip ice cream. Odd, but surprisingly quite nice. 

I may have to bribe someone to get me some crisps tomorrow. Shops are just about to shut here and I don't go out yet (soon, though, I get my first dose vaccination next week).

7 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Oddly, my daughter has just been eating a potato chip ice cream. Odd, but surprisingly quite nice. 

I may have to bribe someone to get me some crisps tomorrow. Shops are just about to shut here and I don't go out yet (soon, though, I get my first dose vaccination next week).

Hmm.  Not sure about that ice cream.  Though, with chocolate syrup, it might be OK - chocolate + potato chips = yum!

Someone should definitely bring you crisps!  Hope the vaccination goes well! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looking through swatch cards today for my next ink, and the swatch card for this is almost completely grey.  Just the slightest hint of blue (or even something greenish).  I'm wondering if this is an iron gall ink!!