Is there a cure?

Pen Ffynnon

3 hours ago, carola said:

Pen Ffynnon... just wait until you happen upon your first vintage Pelikan. There will be no turning back.

And I swear... they DO breed!

I started out with a single green-striped Pelikan M400 from the 1980s - now I have got 17 of those birds. Don´t know where they all came from... Plus they seem to attract other pens, too. 🤷‍♀️

And another thing: I don´t see big virtue in restraining oneself to only one pen. What for?

If someone only WANTS one pen - fine. But if I fall in love with more than one pen, why shouldn´t I enjoy it? Have some fun, please!

The one thing I tell myself: Don´t buy a pen you can´t afford to lose. That´s it.

Lord, I am so careful with my Star Ruby! It does not and never will, leave my house. That's my go-to pen. I don't want bunches--I want to know, if I'm writing a letter, say, which pen would be best. Or drawing (such as my drawing is)--I want to get to know them very well so I know what is best for what job. But...those danged Pelikan people...

(*whispers* And yes, a vintage Pelikan, should I come across one in the wild.....yes.)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Pen Ffynnon

• sansenri

• maclink

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank everyone for your wisdom, your "commiseration" (wrong word, really. Pelikans are something to celebrate!), your understanding.

It's very much appreciated and makes me realize just how much I still have to learn. (Lordy! Nibs! I need to learn more about nibs! And need to get back into the ink forum...and...and...)

5 hours ago, maclink said:

454404788_200-400nn-3.jpeg.e78f2066546980e51ef448708297d527.jpeg

notice the factory stub 400nn,...and the marbled brown is a good properly tipped regular flex nib, but is not a stub. It is better than the modern double ball nibs.

Nice picture. :thumbup:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

2 hours ago, MHBru said:

@Karmachanic my solution exactly... i have never taken one of my fountain pens out of the house... that's what ballpoints are for!

made me smile, but not true.

That's what used/second hand, possibly not mint and rather cheaply sold M200s are for!

I've bought a few EXACTLY for that purpose.

9 minutes ago, Pen Ffynnon said:

And need to get back into the ink forum...and...and...)

No..................no............and no cubed.

First go to the paper section.

But if you must go to the ink section, look at any ink by our late Ink Guru Sandy1, and mark what 8 or so papers she used over the last decade.

Paper before ink.....is a rule.

Do No Do What I Did.....pens, inks and finally paper.

Get a good to better ream or box of paper with every three inks you buy.

Man invented shirt pockets at the same time @ 1895 as sewed on shirt cuffs and collars***, when the sit and peddle washing machine was invented. Pockets were invented to carry slip on clip fountain pens.

Just make it a habit to have always pocket the pen as soon as done writing, and carry a ball point to lend.

***Before that machine let the little lady read while she works, peddle machine, washing cloths was a two woman job on Monday. So one used starched linen, if one was  middle class or better, celluloid for the lower middle & clerking class. The lower class did manual labor so didn't have cuffs nor need a collar.

About that time 1895 the rich and upper and middle class started changing under ware every day instead of once a week. The little woman could wash more, and more often.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

8 minutes ago, Pen Ffynnon said:

Thank everyone for your wisdom, your "commiseration" (wrong word, really. Pelikans are something to celebrate!), your understanding.

It's very much appreciated and makes me realize just how much I still have to learn. (Lordy! Nibs! I need to learn more about nibs! And need to get back into the ink forum...and...and...)

easy going, you're on the right track anyway!

The M200 nibs are the nicest steel nibs on the market, many here would not trade them with a (modern) gold one (unless, as Bo Bo will tell you, it's a vintage nib from a 140!).

Not sure it's a cure, but effective therapy: use your pens as much as you can, to some you become so affectionate that you don't feel the urge so strongly to buy another too soon...

1 hour ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

notice the factory stub 400nn,...and the marbled brown is a good properly tipped regular flex nib, but is not a stub. It is better than the modern double ball nibs.

Nice picture. :thumbup:

That's a beautiful picture! Thank you! It explains a lot.

1 hour ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

No..................no............and no cubed.

First go to the paper section.

Man invented shirt pockets at the same time @ 1895 as sewed on shirt cuffs and collars***, when the sit and peddle washing machine was invented. Pockets were invented to carry slip on clip fountain pens.

Just make it a habit to have always pocket the pen as soon as done writing, and carry a ball point to lend.

Yes, and yes. I *do* need to learn more about paper. And double-down "yes" on carrying other pens. My coworkers (and, I blush to say it) and my dearest husband don't know fountain pens, don't want to know from fountain pens, and ain't never not-no-way going the way of fountain pens. I always carry a good gel pen (or 2) for those folks. Godspeed and good luck to 'em, I say. :)

1 hour ago, sansenri said:

The M200 nibs are the nicest steel nibs on the market, many here would not trade them with a (modern) gold one (unless, as Bo Bo will tell you, it's a vintage nib from a 140!).

Not sure it's a cure, but effective therapy: use your pens as much as you can, to some you become so affectionate that you don't feel the urge so strongly to buy another too soon...

And there's wisdom. I do love my Star Ruby so. I can't wait to get the other two, to ink them up and try them, but they'll never surpass that first moment with Ruby. *That* was really the start to my obsession with fountain pens. Thank you for summing it up so well. :)

That's what happens when one goes from nail, semi-nail to a nice springy regular flex. A nice soft comfortable ride, with a clean line, from a nib tip with that old fashioned proper geometry.

I've become a fan of regular flex; for a while I was a semi-flex bore.....but can be both.

Semi-flex is often wetter than regular flex, so regular flex is often a better choice for two toned shading inks.

Semi-flex requires a tighter paper and ink combo, for good shading.

Semi-flex is more line variation.....but with luck, in choosing ink and paper you can have both.....eventually.

M is a very good nib width (F works too) for shading inks, and is better than F, on classic rough papers; laid and linen effect.

I like the pzazz of either flex in B also.

The 200 can take semi-flex, one can afford the regular flex. The nib only of semi-flex will be more expensive, but nothing has to be done in a day.

First learn the 200's regular flex nibs before jumping to semi-flex. Many of my pens in the pen cup are regular flex, even if I have more semi-flex than regular flex.

Living in Germany put me at the wishing well for semi-flex, and the '82-97 era + 200 nibs.

2 hours ago, sansenri said:

I think there's some perpetuated bad press about 400/5 nibs.  My experience has been a jump sideways.  It's different, but not inferior in my experience.  I expected a nail and it wasn't.  I expected a boring write and it wasn't.  It was MORE springy than the steel.  It's one thing to be lucky with the grind on my particular nib.  However, a nib attribute such as softness is different.  This is the 405 nib on my Stresemann.   I don't know if they made any changes recently.

OTOH, the M600 nib I experienced, I disliked.  That one had no flex and with a boring grind.

Thanks for your topic question Pen Ffynnon. It's been very enjoyable reading the range of responses and such wisdom!

4 hours ago, sansenri said:

This therapy may work for me because my dilemma is spending enough time with each pen to learn about it.

For an average sized collection of, say, 50 pens? They can't all be inked at once! Some will. How many? But how to choose?

Do the experienced collectors have their own self imposed rules and systems of use?

I would suggest that many of them are highly organised and have catalogues, maintanance timetables and rotations for groups and individual pens.

Or is it merely following the next urge or whim?

The Ruby is sold out in my country but there is a chance for a new Moonstone set with the Edelstein ink!

I bought the only Pelikan I've ever seen come up on my local trading site!

My Pelikan will be flying solo for a while I guess...(or share the nest with an elderly 'Swan')!

πTom

7 hours ago, Gaudi95 said:

For an average sized collection of, say, 50 pens? They can't all be inked at once! Some will. How many? But how to choose?

Do the experienced collectors have their own self imposed rules and systems of use?

I guess that I am one of those with your average sized collections :rolleyes:, and I have only 6 inked at the moment, 3 being left inked as an experiment to assess how good their seal works.  I don't catalogue my pens and I don't have a comprehensive system of use that ensures all are in my rotation.  My system is mainly dual, i.e., pens for work and pens that I use at home.  I will have pens inked for work and pens inked for home.  In the same way, there are pens that I find make for good work pens in terms of size, nib grind and performance.  For home pens, anything goes in that I can experiment and work with different nibs, inks, papers etc.

Thank you maclink, and I see a little external structure helps. Work pens and Home pens. Slightly different demands and requirements for each but a clear 'dual' system.

I realise this situation has only developed on reaching the 15 pen mark. Less than that I selected randomly. Since retiring from work two years ago I only write for recreation. Too many pens for just hobby journals etc. so..I am on the brink of having to decide whether I continue to 'play' with my pens or go 'full nerd' as they say. Especially if the numbers continue to grow. The collection will probably need to be 'managed' even if purely for storage reasons. Regardless of how arbitrary my pen choices are there are many practical arrangements needed for larger and growing collections. 

Pen Ffynnons question challenged me to look at my collection and assess it as if diagnosing its wellness. Is it the result of aberrant behaviour? 

It is quite probable that some of it was! Such as competitive and reckless bidding in the closing minutes of an auction...for a pen you didn't know much about and, if you're honest, didn't really want!

πTom

I've @ 80 pens, and up in the pen cup and pen holder I now have ONLY 8 pens, not counting the pens in the velvet jewelry armband cases.

I once got down to 6 or 7 pens inked, including the velvet boys, in I wanted to use more ink, and buy some new ink afterwards.

How ever my wife having won nicely at the live auction stopped off at my B&M and bought me three new inks.

Suddenly I was back to my normal 17 inked.

I don't know what I'd do with out my wife to blame.

I have to confess it's all my fault. I go over to Inky Thoughts and say, I got that ink, haven't used it in ages.....and all good intentions go out the window.

Humm, I've two or three inks I've not used yet.......hummm.

The first step to recovery is to admit that you have a problem... 🤔

So, if you do not do that, there is no problem? 😅

"We don't need no steeeeeenkin' cure..." 😉

1 hour ago, Gaudi95 said:

Thank you maclink, and I see a little external structure helps. Work pens and Home pens. Slightly different demands and requirements for each but a clear 'dual' system.

I realise this situation has only developed on reaching the 15 pen mark. Less than that I selected randomly. Since retiring from work two years ago I only write for recreation. Too many pens for just hobby journals etc. so..I am on the brink of having to decide whether I continue to 'play' with my pens or go 'full nerd' as they say. Especially if the numbers continue to grow. The collection will probably need to be 'managed' even if purely for storage reasons. Regardless of how arbitrary my pen choices are there are many practical arrangements needed for larger and growing collections. 

Pen Ffynnons question challenged me to look at my collection and assess it as if diagnosing its wellness. Is it the result of aberrant behaviour? 

It is quite probable that some of it was! Such as competitive and reckless bidding in the closing minutes of an auction...for a pen you didn't know much about and, if you're honest, didn't really want!

'aberrant behaviour'... you had me chuckle because it's such a pertinent question.  I see it as a special interest.  Some have it cars, stamps, shoes, particular artists, sports etc. and they will be prepared to put a lot of resources on the line for particular items or events within the scope of their interest.  FP's are not among the most expensive by any means.

I calm myself down with arguments along that line.  There has to be an material interest in this life to make it interesting, I say.   

In the cycling world--where I used to reside before I went online to buy ink cartridges for my Sheaffer and somehow ended up with 4 Pelikans in my shopping basket (and no, I'm not even kidding)--the common knowledge is that the ideal number of bikes in one's possession is N+1. N, just to be clear, standing for the number currently owned.

In the fountain pen world, the ideal number of pens seems to be N+3. When it comes to Pelikans, N+7. Or maybe it's just me. 

It's ALL PELIKAN'S FAULT! Why do they have to make their pens so pretty and so awesome to use? WHYYYYYYYYYYY? 

🤪😂

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

The cure is to do away with money......then see how many fountain pens are 'given' to you.

At the Golden Arches; how many hamburgers will a bushel of wheat buy me?

What do you mean you want a barrel of flour for a 200? I can get a 400 for that.