Need advice

Geslina

20 minutes ago, Geslina said:

Oh noooo....I looked up the Platinum Make-I, they have one called “moon and rabbit”.......I was born in the year of the rabbit too - so it must be meant to be that I buy that pen!! 

What do you mean by the term “slip & seal”?  With the Decimo, I have tried several inks and every type of paper I have.  I currently have an Iroshizuku ink in it, but was thinking, as you said, a wetter ink...really wet inks have solved issues I’ve had with other pens.  I don’t own a lot of inks, but have two that I think are more highly lubricated, I’m going to try them after this second cleaning. I’m just annoyed in general with this pen.  My expectations were too high.  I heard that it was a “wet” writer...it doesn’t seem to be to me.  It’s heavy.  Buying it has made me nervous about buying more pens online.  I know one can always return things, but I HATE returning things.  And I don’t want to wind up with 50 pens I don’t use in my search for the “perfect” pen.

so yes, I agree with what you said - if I want a pen with a similar writing experience to the Sailor Pro Gear, my safest bet might be to just buy another Sailor Pro Gear!

There's no getting away from risk without actually being in a pen store and actually testing the pen that you're going to buy.  A Pelikan M200 is great, but you may be unlucky as with the Decimo and  receive one with a nib that's not working so great.  Of all my pens, only one was not bought online.  I've had a serious nib issue on 3 occasions.  The overwhelming majority of experiences have been alright in that I don't get a pen with problems.  Of course, I may end up not liking the pen as much as I thought I would or I end up liking it more than I thought I would.  For me it's part of the fun.... provided you're not breaking the bank to get each pen.  Opus 88 and TWSBI .... two other brands ot consider, I'd say.  But considering your appreciation of the ProGear, then the M200 will likely please you.... boost the online purchasing confidence. :thumbup:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geslina

• A Smug Dill

• ENewton

• Tseg

13 hours ago, ENewton said:

I have the Platinum 3776 Nice Lavande in medium.  I don't like it as much as I do my Sailor pens, precisely because it "just glides across the page" in a way that my Sailors don't.  It is also somewhat larger than the Pro Gear Slim, more similar to the size of the 1911S.

I don't have any gold-nibbed pen manufactured by Pilot, but my three Pilot steel nibs are all very smooth, far smoother than my Sailors.  You might want to contact the vendor from whom you bought your Decimo to see whether you can get a replacement.

I love the 3776 Lavende and Lilas....but do I want to pay an extra $100 just for a pretty barrel?  Then there is that silver topped converter.  Why wouldn’t they use a gold tone converter in a see through pen with gold accents?? I was thinking, if I bought one, of painting the silver metal part of the converter with a metallic gold paint, the kind of paint made to be used on outdoor items...because that silver converter in that pen would drive me nuts.

Which Pilot steel nib pens do you have?  I have a few Kakunos and a Prera, the Prera nib is by far my favorite.  It’s not as “soft” feeling as the gold nib Pro Gear, but I just love the way it writes.  Doesn’t matter what ink I use, the pen writes perfectly every time.  

19 minutes ago, Geslina said:

What do you mean by the term “slip & seal”?

It's Platinum's marketing name for the feature of a spring-loaded inner cap inside the pen's cap. When done properly, it's astoundingly good at preventing ink evaporation and nib-dryout. Not all Platinum pens feature the Slip & Seal mechanism, and it isn't dependent on the price of the pen, either; you just have to look through Platinum's catalogue to confirm which models have it. There are other pens in the market that have the equivalent feature.

I love fine and precise nibs, but even I don't think a Platinum UEF is suitable as an everyday pen. I keep my one and only UEF-nibbed pen for filling out forms and writing on tiny sticky labels with waterproof ink, but that's about it. Maybe if I was someone who draws with fountain pen, it would come in handy for very fine detail and (cross-)hatching.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

3 minutes ago, maclink said:

There's no getting away from risk without actually being in a pen store and actually testing the pen that you're going to buy.  A Pelikan M200 is great, but you may be unlucky as with the Decimo and  receive one with a nib that's not working so great.  Of all my pens, only one was not bought online.  I've had a serious nib issue on 3 occasions.  The overwhelming majority of experiences have been alright in that I don't get a pen with problems.  Of course, I may end up not liking the pen as much as I thought I would or I end up liking it more than I thought I would.  For me it's part of the fun.... provided you're not breaking the bank to get each pen.  Opus 88 and TWSBI .... two other brands ot consider, I'd say.  But considering your appreciation of the ProGear, then the M200 will likely please you.... boost the online purchasing confidence. :thumbup:

Yes ((deep sigh)) I suppose you are right.  I may just go for the Pelikan and see what happens.  Funny you should mention the Opus 88, I was looking at them last night. 
There is a pen store (online) in my area, a few towns away.  I wonder, if I contacted the owner, if they would be willing to meet me in person and let me try some pens.  Their prices are a little higher than most, but I don’t mind supporting local businesses...

2 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

It's Platinum's marketing name for the feature of a spring-loaded inner cap inside the pen's cap. When done properly, it's astoundingly good at preventing ink evaporation and nib-dryout. Not all Platinum pens feature the Slip & Seal mechanism, and it isn't dependent on the price of the pen, either; you just have to look through Platinum's catalogue to confirm which models have it. There are other pens in the market that have the equivalent feature.

I love fine and precise nibs, but even I don't think a Platinum UEF is suitable as an everyday pen. I keep my one and only UEF-nibbed pen for filling out forms and writing on tiny sticky labels with waterproof ink, but that's about it. Maybe if I was someone who draws with fountain pen, it would come in handy for very fine detail and (cross-)hatching.

Oh yes, I remember now reading about the Platinum caps...

i love fine nibs as well.  I wouldn’t want any nib larger than the MF on the Pro Gear.  I’m an artist, and though ink isn’t really my medium, I think the humble Pilot Kakuno EF is perfect for ink drawing...and it’s only $12!  Though I suppose if I worked in ink all the time, it would be worth the investment to get a good pen.

There are pen retailers that check their nibs and adjust before they ship them. 

The Writing Desk in the UK for example check the nibs and adjust them if necessary to make sure you get a pen that writes out of the box. 

I'm sure there are retailers in the USA that do the same. They tend not give as big a discount as other retailers, but you do get what you want.

I've bought two Viscontis and a Pro-Gear from them and they've all written out the box and have been great writers.

The Pilot ink should be wet enough - other "wet" inks for dry pens are Waterman and Caran D'Ache (which is really expensive). See if the overnight soak makes a difference. It can also be worthwhile taking a toothbrush and giving the feed a gentle scrub.

A pen show or a pen club/pen meet up might be a good idea to pursue when they are allowed to happen again. With a pen club, you can normally try an range of other members' pens and decide which one will suit you. It's a great way to share ideas, but can be very expensive as you end up handling some very expensive, vintage pens that you did not know about. You know what you don't want, but then end up hankering after the ones that you do...

+1 to everything Sandy said.

Geslina has several options. One is just to get another Sailor or a few more Preras as they are known good choices. Another is to get a professional nibmeister to tune or modify a nib/pen to have all the desired properties.  This is best done in person and in real time at a pen show (when those are able to resume) to really zoom in on the desired qualities, but it can be done through the mail too.

The ultimate is learning how to work on one's own pens. This can be as simple as getting some polishing sheets and brass shims from a supplier like Goulet Pens, or extend to learning how to regrind to one's own taste (please practice on cheap Chinese or Indian nibs first!)

I don’t want to make your decision even more difficult, but you mentioned Franklin Christoph. Easily my favorite pens (for comparison I have pens from Edison, Sailor, Pilot, Platinum, etc.). All have their HPS (high performance steel) nibs and, for my personal taste, I’ve found them smooth enough to not feel the need for the more expensive gold nibs. 

I just got my 5th Franklin Christoph last week - a Model 31 in antique glass with a fine S.I.G. nib. It was $185 ($165 without the upgraded nib) - well within your budget. 

All of this is subjective and personal, but I probably wouldn’t own several pens in my collection if I had bought my first Franklin Christoph earlier in my journey.

5 hours ago, Geslina said:

I love the 3776 Lavende and Lilas....but do I want to pay an extra $100 just for a pretty barrel?  Then there is that silver topped converter.  Why wouldn’t they use a gold tone converter in a see through pen with gold accents?? I was thinking, if I bought one, of painting the silver metal part of the converter with a metallic gold paint, the kind of paint made to be used on outdoor items...because that silver converter in that pen would drive me nuts.

Which Pilot steel nib pens do you have?  I have a few Kakunos and a Prera, the Prera nib is by far my favorite.  It’s not as “soft” feeling as the gold nib Pro Gear, but I just love the way it writes.  Doesn’t matter what ink I use, the pen writes perfectly every time.  

A Platinum gold tone converter is very inexpensive, if you would prefer it to the one that comes with the pen. 

The Pilot steel nibs I have are a desk pen with an extra fine nib, a Prera with a fine nib, and a Metropolitan with a medium nib.  They all perform well.

3 hours ago, twin63 said:

I don’t want to make your decision even more difficult, but you mentioned Franklin Christoph. Easily my favorite pens (for comparison I have pens from Edison, Sailor, Pilot, Platinum, etc.). All have their HPS (high performance steel) nibs and, for my personal taste, I’ve found them smooth enough to not feel the need for the more expensive gold nibs. 

I just got my 5th Franklin Christoph last week - a Model 31 in antique glass with a fine S.I.G. nib. It was $185 ($165 without the upgraded nib) - well within your budget. 

All of this is subjective and personal, but I probably wouldn’t own several pens in my collection if I had bought my first Franklin Christoph earlier in my journey.

I saw the Antique Glass 31 pop up on their site last week, was going to jump on it but however many they had sold out fast....I like that they are USA made and also like the way they look.  Good to know you think so highly of them.

I have added another brand to my wishlist, check out gwpens.com.  A pen crafter, not too far from where I live, who has an actual brick & mortar shop. I followed a link about a pen he made of wood from a boardwalk destroyed during hurricane Sandy.  There weren’t any hurricane pens left, but the pens he has are unique and beautiful - there is a blue one with a lapis lazuli stone embedded into the cap.

"There are pen retailers that check their nibs and adjust before they ship them. 

The Writing Desk in the UK for example check the nibs and adjust them if necessary to make sure you get a pen that writes out of the box."

I would also confirm that buying from an expert on line business such as the Writing Desk means you get a tested nib and mine have always written beautifully straight out of the box. I can highly recommend them for anyone in the UK and even abroad. Their service and advice is excellent and I've used them for over 20 years.

18 hours ago, Geslina said:

I wouldn’t want any nib larger than the MF on the Pro Gear.

Well, the Zoom nib can be interesting, and I have fun with my Naginata Concord nib, even though I see neither of those as everyday writing nibs. The (‘medium-sized’ 14K gold) Medium nib is usable.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

14 hours ago, ENewton said:

A Platinum gold tone converter is very inexpensive, if you would prefer it to the one that comes with the pen. 

The Pilot steel nibs I have are a desk pen with an extra fine nib, a Prera with a fine nib, and a Metropolitan with a medium nib.  They all perform well.

I didn’t know they made a gold tone converter, thanks.

I have a Prera fine nib, it’s probably the pen I use the most.  It seems the most versatile.  No matter what ink I put in it, or what paper I use, it always writes beautifully.

15 hours ago, twin63 said:

I think I’m going to buy another Pro Gear and a Pelikan 200 from Cultpens.  I can get both from Cultpens for only a little more than I would pay for one here in the States....but I might get myself a Franklin Christoph too. I like the 45, but I don’t care for the selection they have right now, and I prefer a clip. The 31 is attractive, and the Marietta 20 also looks good, but has that recessed nib.  How does the 31 feel to write with?  It looks huge in the photos.

8 minutes ago, Geslina said:

What?? You got all that line variation from one pen??

fpn_1603419275__sailor_manyo_ume_exhibits_no_sheen.jpg

On 2/23/2021 at 9:46 AM, ENewton said:

I keep looking at the Brass Sport.  I like the idea of a small, heavy pen.  But the Kaweco steel nib I have is the worst nib in my collection, and I have read that the gold nibs do not provide a significantly better writing experience.  Does your extra fine produce a fairly fine line?  My fine produced a thin, dry line for the first few years that I had it but recently and mysteriously became a wet nib producing a much broader line. 

I had to re-ink this pen to remind me about it's characteristics.   I recall out of the box is was dry.  I think it may have hard started?  

After some brass shim action it flows better, but the line is not exactly an EF any more.  It is great for a utilitarian pen but there is not much character to the writing experience.  It's not Pelikan smooth, it's not Visconti soft... just utilitarian, like a Diplomat I have that I also upgraded to a gold nib.

With a gold nib I want a soft and/or smooth and/or luscious writing experience.  This pen feels more like a less expensive steel nibbed Pilot or TWSBI writing experience.  Good, but not great.

50976295433_65443dbc19_k.jpg

2 hours ago, Geslina said:

How does the 31 feel to write with?

For me personally, it feels great to write with. But, I like larger pens. My hand size is average (medium), so it’s not due to other pens being too small but rather personal preference. The 31 is my favorite of all my pens (the antique glass is actually my 2nd Model 31). 

As for you leaning towards another Pro Gear and a Pelikan 200...The only thing better than getting a new pen is getting two! I have a Pro Gear Slim and like it enough that I would like to try the full size Pro Gear. I think it’s a classy pen that performs well. I don’t own any Pelikans, at least not yet😉.

13 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Well, the Zoom nib can be interesting, and I have fun with my Naginata Concord nib, even though I see neither of those as everyday writing nibs. The (‘medium-sized’ 14K gold) Medium nib is usable.

I was missing having a zoom nib so I have a Sailor 1911L ringless with a zoom nib showing up in a few days

19 hours ago, Tseg said:

I had to re-ink this pen to remind me about it's characteristics.   I recall out of the box is was dry.  I think it may have hard started?  

After some brass shim action it flows better, but the line is not exactly an EF any more.  It is great for a utilitarian pen but there is not much character to the writing experience.  It's not Pelikan smooth, it's not Visconti soft... just utilitarian, like a Diplomat I have that I also upgraded to a gold nib.

With a gold nib I want a soft and/or smooth and/or luscious writing experience.  This pen feels more like a less expensive steel nibbed Pilot or TWSBI writing experience.  Good, but not great.

50976295433_65443dbc19_k.jpg

A bit of an update here... after my post above, I took a head-on look at the nib with a loop to discover my tines were slightly out of alignment.  After making the slight adjustment to align the tines my writing experience has changed... the line is much more Extra Fine and a bit more dry.  All in all, not unpleasant at all and is probably now writing for the first time since I've owned it like it was intended and like I envisioned.   It is still a hard, solid writing experience, but I would probably recommend it be in your consideration set, if only for it's uniqueness if nothing else.

50979392952_2266689b9a_k.jpg