Bible Ink (iron gall) review

yazeh

13 minutes ago, RJS said:

Salix and Scabiosa have done that to me, in my wettest pens. They never dry up, but it's as if only the water content of the ink is still reaching the nib after I've written a page and a half.

Double checked. That's the Chinese Kaweco. The Kaweco nib didn't fit well, hence the pale effect.... Mystery solved :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• lapis

• RJS

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, yazeh said:

Karmachanic beat me to it. 

Hope it answers your question :)

Sorry guys, and thanks... I guess I need new glasses, not just inks....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

4 hours ago, RJS said:

Salix and Scabiosa have done that to me, in my wettest pens. They never dry up, but it's as if only the water content of the ink is still reaching the nib after I've written a page and a half.

That happened to me with Scabiosa in a Jinhao x750 but not in any other pen.

I just ordered it. Still, first time I ever found an ink sold in Germany where the postage costs more than the ink.

(34% more, FWIW)

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Excellent review. I've been wanting to try this one, but have seen much information about it. Based on the more grayish color straight from the bottle, I would think this ink doesn't have much blue dye in, but rather mostly iron gall content, which blackens over time. 

Great review!

I concur, vintage pens work great with IG inks, I guess because they were made at a time when many (if not most) BB inks were IG, people would not have that many pens and very few (if any) were conscious about cleaning. For me, IG blue-blacks are "the" ink, and while I have seen similar behaviors (pens having flow issues after 1  and 1/2 A5 pages) they rarely (if ever) happened with vintage pens, and when they did, it was because the vintage pen was absolutely dirty with dried ink crust. It is more common on modern pens. May be it is the design, or the feed, I don't know.

Anyway, great review!

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Am I tripping or this ink was supposed to be violet when wet, and black when dry? 

I am 100% sure I saw a photo of it wet showing it is violet. Or is there another ink with similar name?? 

18 hours ago, lapis said:

I just ordered it. Still, first time I ever found an ink sold in Germany where the postage costs more than the ink.

(34% more, FWIW)

They have a line of Aniline inks, and a very nice dip pen iron gall ink. That could've mitigated the price... :)

19 hours ago, namrehsnoom said:

This ink looks lovely! A very dark blue-black with quite impressive shading. I can see why you like it so much. But shipping cost is indeed really brutal - even within the EU. 

I know. I was lucky :)

14 hours ago, Bold2013 said:

After trying a few IG I have settled on Akkerman #10. 

It's great when one can settle down and enjoy the inks we have :)

12 hours ago, bokaba said:

Excellent review. I've been wanting to try this one, but have seen much information about it. Based on the more grayish color straight from the bottle, I would think this ink doesn't have much blue dye in, but rather mostly iron gall content, which blackens over time. 

Thanks. You can see the blue dye even in the bottle. The dip pen iron gall ink, writes a bright blue and then turns into a shiny black. I'll post a photo when I get around it :)

7 hours ago, txomsy said:

Great review!

I concur, vintage pens work great with IG inks, I guess because they were made at a time when many (if not most) BB inks were IG, people would not have that many pens and very few (if any) were conscious about cleaning. For me, IG blue-blacks are "the" ink, and while I have seen similar behaviors (pens having flow issues after 1  and 1/2 A5 pages) they rarely (if ever) happened with vintage pens, and when they did, it was because the vintage pen was absolutely dirty with dried ink crust. It is more common on modern pens. May be it is the design, or the feed, I don't know.

Anyway, great review!

Thanks. Glad to know, I'm not the only one :)

4 hours ago, sciumbasci said:

Am I tripping or this ink was supposed to be violet when wet, and black when dry? 

I am 100% sure I saw a photo of it wet showing it is violet. Or is there another ink with similar name?? 

Yes. You saw the photo on another site ;) . I hope "Swan"  sees the post. He had a comparison page with a bunch of IG inks.:)

Thanks for the review.

The ink looks really nice. The idea of IG on flex nibs is quite liked by me too personally, never used a vintage so can't say that (any of those vintage nibs are literally older then me) but I think this has more charm then other way around....I mean the combination makes quite sense.

Anyway thanks again for sharing this lovely ink.

PS about the idea of island.......ink, pen and paper...and to say nothing of availability of a boat......

10 hours ago, Dimy said:

Thanks for the review.

The ink looks really nice. The idea of IG on flex nibs is quite liked by me too personally, never used a vintage so can't say that (any of those vintage nibs are literally older then me) but I think this has more charm then other way around....I mean the combination makes quite sense.

Anyway thanks again for sharing this lovely ink.

PS about the idea of island.......ink, pen and paper...and to say nothing of availability of a boat......

Most welcome Dimy. 

The pen in the video, is a very wet pen. It cannot handle some inks (for ex. Diamine Syrah). I would have a drop of ink on the paper making a mess. But with this ink, it's just perfect. It tames.... 

As for the Island, take it as the mythical island, when we need nothing more than one pen, one ink and paper. When it's not about the implement but the writing :) 

Thank you so much for the review of an ink I was not aware of!  Looks interesting.

On the note of posting format:

now that we have dark themes for the website, could the future posts please avoid using explicitly black font?  Black on very dark gray is barely readable.   Changing color for headers and accent words could be okay, but keep the rest "default" color, so that it auto-changes depending on theme (i.e. in dark mode or with dark themes the post color becomes light while background is dark--but not if the text color was manually set to dark.)

This is how the first post looks when using a dark color theme:

659412746_darktext.thumb.JPG.242c034cfebea024ebcd212c56cab79b.JPG

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Couldn’t they call it something else? I’m afraid people would think I’m Ned Flanders if I had this bottle on my desk.

1 hour ago, Intensity said:

Thank you so much for the review of an ink I was not aware of!  Looks interesting.

Most Welcome :)

1 hour ago, Intensity said:

On the note of posting format:

now that we have dark themes for the website, could the future posts please avoid using explicitly black font?  Black on very dark gray is barely readable.   Changing color for headers and accent words could be okay, but keep the rest "default" color, so that it auto-changes depending on theme (i.e. in dark mode or with dark themes the post color becomes light while background is dark--but not if the text color was manually set to dark.)

Thank you for pointing that out to me. 

I am not sure if this was done intentionally. I often write my reviews in word and then copy paste them here. So, I'm not sure if this happened during that procedure. But I would bare that in mind :)

1 hour ago, MoriartyR said:

Couldn’t they call it something else? I’m afraid people would think I’m Ned Flanders if I had this bottle on my desk.

I guess because it belongs to the Gutenberg Museum, they didn't want to call it anything else. I have to admit, I'm at a loss at the choice of the name. As they have many inks and none uses that name. If it would have been a special ink stamp to mimic the press, I would've understood it the naming however, a fountain pen ink, with this name and it's relationship with Gutenberg, I'm not sure :)

On the other hand, I don't care what people say, about what bottle of ink I have on my desk. Anyway, the bottle is quite small and I doubt in this day and age of distraction  any one would even notice it. Plus the name is actually Bibeltinte... ;)

6 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I guess because it belongs to the Gutenberg Museum, they didn't want to call it anything else. I have to admit, I'm at a loss at the choice of the name. As they have many inks and none uses that name. If it would have been a special ink stamp to mimic the press, I would've understood it the naming however, a fountain pen ink, with this name and it's relationship with Gutenberg, I'm not sure :)

On the other hand, I don't care what people say, about what bottle of ink I have on my desk. Anyway, the bottle is quite small and I doubt in this day and age of distraction  any one would even notice it. Plus the name is actually Bibeltinte... ;)

It's probably a marketing strategy, the name.   A large percentage of the world population holds the bible in great esteem, and some non-trivial percentage does things like bible study, which includes writing quotes from the bible, notes on them, etc.   "Bible Ink" has a ring of endorsement to it, like this is the ink you should use, it's somehow more authentic.  I don't personally subscribe to that school of thought, but I can see the Guttenberg Museum marketing team thinking it was a good idea to name the ink that way.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”