Taccia Amairo or Polar Lights!

Sakura FP Gallery

Just in! Taccia Amairo Polar Lights fountain pens!

Taccia designers and maki-e artisans were challenged to create a fountain pen that depicts polar lights. The polar lights is represented by narrow lines in abalone (raden). Each line is inlaid by hand under several coats of urushi lacquer and then polished until they are visible again. They are fascinating because the color changes with different lights!

These pens have a 14kt duo-tone nib, manufactured by Sailor, and are available in F, M, or B (or as our stock lasts) and fill with sailor cartridges or convertor. They come in a beautiful Paulownia wooden box with pen kimono. They are limited to 100 pieces each. 

We have stock of all three colors: Jiu (green), Hekiku (blue, haruakane (red) 

DHL shipping worldwide at Sakuras expense! 

https://www.sakurafountainpengallery.com/en/boutique/taccia-japanse-pennen

taccia-blue-825-1.png.37183430d65583c346c76bf053b3da47.png

Take care and see you!

Catherine

Catherine Van Hove

www.sakurafountainpengallery.com

Koning Albertstraat 72b - 3290 DIest - Belgium

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baabaaredsheep

• Sakura FP Gallery

• brohan

• penfriendsuk

• 1 month later...

I purchased a Limited Edition Raden Polar Lights (Cerulean Blue) that was marketed as a limited run of only 50 pens: http://taccia.com/limitededition/reserve-polar-lights-le/

How this second run of 100 pens doesn’t violate the spirt of selling the original as a limited quantity of only 50 pens? The description of the blue Amairo Hekiku is exactly the same: “Taccia designers and maki-e artisans were challenged to create a fountain pen that depicts these polar lights. Realizing the mysterious cerulean-blue base, one of the most difficult urushi colors to produce, proved quite a challenge.“

From what I can tell, it's a different pen. Yours was Cerulean Blue, these are green, blue, and red. It also looks like they transition from the color to black vs light to dark blue.

Think of it like how Visconti makes new 888 LE Homosapiens every year, it's the same pen just different colors.

Taccia has certainly reissued identical pens as separate ‘limited editions’. They changed the name but they were the same. I suppose there are only so many urushi finishes and colours that can be offered.

I’m not sure this practice bothers me terribly, since all the limited editions are quite small, but it is worth bearing in mind if you consider the limited edition factor is a significant part of justifying the price. The reality is that a limited edition Taccia is not going to be one of only 50 pens in the world - they will release the pen multiple times under different limited edition names.

I don’t think Taccia is the only brand that does this. I can think of others who have released multiple limited editions of the same pen. Maybe it would be better if these manufacturers print the edition year on the pen as well as the pen number, so at least we can differentiate which limited edition run a pen belongs to.