Danitrio Sho-Hakkaku Hummingbirds

jandrese

Sharing my new Danitrio Sho-Hakkaku Hummingbirds maki-e pen with stub nib. Danitrio made some major changes in 2020. That is, they pulled pens from most retailers in the USA and started selling exclusively (?) through urushipens.com. As a Danitrio collector with a favored brick and mortar AD this move was not welcome. It did, however, give me the opportunity to purchase many other urushi and maki-e pens from other companies such as Namiki, Taccia, and more. While I’ve enjoyed expanding my horizons I was hankering for another Danitrio. I previously had dialogue with Jason at urushipens.com, and had more or less resolved to one day purchase from them, but when I saw this pen on instagram I had to have it. For one thing it was made by one my most favorite Danitrio artists, Yusai, but I had narrowly missed out on a Hyotan model with similar artwork by the same artist and was always thinking about it. A message to Jason via instagram and I was able to snag this pen before it even hit the website. 

It’s worth mentioning that there are no hummingbirds in Japan, they are endemic only to the Americas. Nevertheless, they are depicted in the most animated and attractive fashion on an absolutely perfect black gloss background. The flowers are no less a feature than the hummingbirds but really, the birds steal the show. There are hummingbirds where I live and we love seeing them twice a year as they migrate. The mix of technique and and artistic rendering rises to the level of the sublime. If one were so inclined this could be an exit pen. Sometimes I wish I were so inclined. 

The nib is a stub, which is my wont on Danitrio pens and it characteristically writes a juicy line. While I do enjoy writing with this pen for me it is a work of art. I have more than enough pens that write well. I shall never stop adding art to my life. 

Danitrio now has a new website and more pens are being added to urushipens.com all the time. Personally, I do not prefer to buy these types of pens online sight unseen and nib untested. In my opinion it is a poor business choice and is damaging to relationships with collectors. Urushipens.com seems like good people so I will probably continue to support them but my Danitrio collecting will dramatically slow. There are other pens I can see and touch before buying from an AD I have a long-standing relationship with. The Danitrio pens, as always, satisfy. 

EC627A64-F3AA-4373-9004-D2A25730AF6B.jpeg

201EDBAE-E1FA-485A-A1F5-8717B0F9617B.jpeg

34115D7B-2D34-45B9-A369-2A8A0C98944E.jpeg

87DAB1A8-6CB8-4CB5-BE54-27F35DCC90D2.jpeg

5BB13AFE-C0E2-4E96-80E9-C6C91C9569BF.jpeg

BEEF8FAB-CF26-4883-9D8A-24372B483C3A.jpeg

2D2E131C-BF3F-476B-A230-BE08EB289B58.jpeg

EA08E3F4-0A6A-4046-9706-DC59488D9444.jpeg

7D31412F-8EF2-4BF5-BAFE-63F7D6E1EBF8.jpeg

1CE83950-8048-4107-B228-3E43B9513C4A.jpeg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• Doug1426

• MHBru

• MShreyas1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOW!  Gorgeous doesn't even do it justice!

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

Beautiful Pen! Surprised to hear that Danitrio is pulling pens from in person retailers. I was planning on going to Dromgoole's one day to try out a few before purchasing.. Presumably they're still making them at a normal rate though?

I like that shot with the two hummers facing each other.    

Maki-e pen designs, for me, would be more useful if done as a desk pen base.  Or a paperweight.  

2 hours ago, MShreyas1 said:

Beautiful Pen! Surprised to hear that Danitrio is pulling pens from in person retailers. I was planning on going to Dromgoole's one day to try out a few before purchasing.. Presumably they're still making them at a normal rate though?

The last Danitrio pens I bought at Dromgooles was in early March 2020 right before the Covid madness. Sometime soon after than Danitrio pulled their pens, a not insubstantial number of pens. Was very disappointing. 

10 hours ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

I like that shot with the two hummers facing each other.    

Maki-e pen designs, for me, would be more useful if done as a desk pen base.  Or a paperweight.  

Thanks. This pen is currently my daily carry. So enjoyable having art literally in my hands every day. 

Beautiful, congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

THANK YOU for letting us (me) know where to find Danitrios again! I was so confused when Danitrio seemed to simultaneously revamp their website and withdraw their pens from the usual retailers. As a slight correction, urushipen.com is the retailer’s website. :)

Although I’ve always had to buy pens online, I can imagine the disappointment at losing a B&M AD... I don’t even like grocery delivery services because I can’t pick my own produce. 

And finally, those hummingbirds are gorgeous! The raden really captures the iridescence of their feathers. Enjoy many a good writing session with such a lovely pen!

8 hours ago, ridiculopathy said:

THANK YOU for letting us (me) know where to find Danitrios again! I was so confused when Danitrio seemed to simultaneously revamp their website and withdraw their pens from the usual retailers. As a slight correction, urushipen.com is the retailer’s website. :)

Although I’ve always had to buy pens online, I can imagine the disappointment at losing a B&M AD... I don’t even like grocery delivery services because I can’t pick my own produce. 

And finally, those hummingbirds are gorgeous! The raden really captures the iridescence of their feathers. Enjoy many a good writing session with such a lovely pen!

Glad to help. The situation was indeed confusing and is not yet clearly resolved from what I can tell. Apologies over the website, I should have copied the link! 

The hummingbirds are gorgeous. I reckon the one on the cap is the male and the body is the female. 

14 hours ago, Marcwithac said:

A gorgeous work of art indeed.  It must inspire you every time you pick it up.

Thanks, yes, it is a source of wonderment!

I am fortunate two own two large Danitrio eyedropper pens, both purchased from Dromgoole's. I agree with the above posters that this is a bad business move on the part of Danitrio. We'll see how long it lasts.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.