Lamy Safari Savannah Green and Terra Red compared, 1980 vs 2021

bphollin

I now have my Savannah Green and Terracotta Red Safaris and I am so pleased with them.  I've been wanting a Savannah Green Safari pen for many years, I but couldn't bring myself to shell out the big bucks that the vintage versions were going for.  Moreover, had I bought an original, I would have considered to too precious and fragile to use.  With the 2021 remakes, I have no such qualms.

I remember a student writing with one of these when I was in high school in Germany in the early 1980s.  I was strangely fascinated by the modern shape and 'strange' proprietary cartridge.  I just kept using my Pelikano Model 5 (I didn't have the budget for a spare fountain pen).  About 40 years later, I am now writing with a Savannah Green Safari too.  It feels great.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• christof

• Astronymus

• Glenn-SC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How does the texture compares with the old timers and the Umbra Safari?

Is it as course as the special edition Violet Safari?

Thanks!

52 minutes ago, a m a r g o said:

How does the texture compares with the old timers and the Umbra Safari?

Is it as course as the special edition Violet Safari?

To my touch these have the same surface texture as all my other "matt" finished Safaris (Umbra, Grey, Violet, Petrol). 

20 hours ago, Glenn-SC said:

To my touch these have the same surface texture as all my other "matt" finished Safaris (Umbra, Grey, Violet, Petrol). 

Thanks!

I think that the current 'matt' Safaris, being them the petrol, black and violet, are a tiny bit rougher than the Umbra or the Safaris of old, like the grey or white.

I'll guess that half of my wishes brought up to the lineup should be enough for me, black clips and nibs, and jump on the newest recruits!

15 hours ago, Astronymus said:

Can't say. My 80's umbra is gloss... 😂

Picture or it doesn't exist!

p.s. Maybe is so old and used that all the texture has rubbed off!

3 hours ago, a m a r g o said:

p.s. Maybe is so old and used that all the texture has rubbed off!

This. It's my old school pen. Nicely polished. 😉

• 1 month later...

Hi all...

I have just replace my old green safari internal cap catch rubber sleeve and while comparing with my new 2021 savannah green release and also pictures from this thread 1st page , I just realize mine have a black imprint on Lamy logo and W.Germany at the end. 

can anybody highlight me

1/. when this was made? 

2/. and was this is Savannah Green too or other color?

* this pen was purchased used few years ago. 

cheers. 

Azi Rul

IMG_20210614_125150.jpg

IMG_20210614_125211.jpg

IMG_20210614_125252.jpg

IMG_20210614_125308.jpg

IMG_20210614_125335.jpg

On 6/14/2021 at 12:15 PM, Azi Rul said:

Hi all...

I have just replace my old green safari internal cap catch rubber sleeve and while comparing with my new 2021 savannah green release and also pictures from this thread 1st page , I just realize mine have a black imprint on Lamy logo and W.Germany at the end. 

can anybody highlight me

1/. when this was made? 

2/. and was this is Savannah Green too or other color?

* this pen was purchased used few years ago. 

cheers. 

Azi Rul

IMG_20210614_125150.jpg

IMG_20210614_125211.jpg

IMG_20210614_125252.jpg

IMG_20210614_125308.jpg

IMG_20210614_125335.jpg

??? never seen something like this Safari.😳

It's an old savanna green, 80's (West Germany imprint), metal screw, someone painted the logo black. It's not an original feature.

On 6/15/2021 at 11:43 PM, Astronymus said:

It's an old savanna green, 80's (West Germany imprint), metal screw, someone painted the logo black. It's not an original feature.

thank you very much. that is why no comparable picture in google....