EFNIR: Caran d'Ache Magnetic Blue

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Caran d'Ache Magnetic Blue

This is review #79 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Ink is too dark to pick up much color.  Honestly, even with my eyes it looks almost black from this nib.  I much prefer the ink in a larger nib.  Cleaning was fast and easy.  This is the first video with a change designed to help those who view on mobile phones - a still image is added at the end, full screen, and scrolling to see all of it vertically...  A new "zoom" image will be the next change in next week's video.

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.CaranDAcheMagneticBlue.jpg.1f3cdc31381e3065b49551ff00a36d6c.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.CaranDAcheMagneticBlueS.jpg.56f93c754a9e7c18e6323cd58d223c0f.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.CaranDAcheMagneticBlueZ.jpg.9651fd7306c1df87cb61d9ca0fcc1260.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper):
large.CaranDAcheMagneticBlueAP.jpg.0ade3f871f30dd654e5f89c05cba30f7.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: De Atramentis Indigo Blue.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• I-am-not-really-here

• mizgeorge

Top Posters In This Topic

Really nice one Liz. I don't why but I'm gravitating towards darker blues these days :)

I really like Makhabesh. You've managed to capture it's spirt as one of those pesky types cats, that drives us nuts

yet we cannot do with out  :D

12 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Really nice one Liz. I don't why but I'm gravitating towards darker blues these days :)

I really like Makhabesh. You've managed to capture it's spirt as one of those pesky types cats, that drives us nuts

yet we cannot do with out  :D

:) Thank you.  I really like this one in my Waterman Laureat (F) - they match, and it shows shading nicely.

I plan to spend some time working on Quintus' and Makhabesh's back stories (in my head, not in reviews) - that will no doubt help me come up with ideas going forward.  They're not really alive in my head yet - I'm just hacking out a few lines as I think of them - but if I can bring them to life in my head, hopefully the few lines will be better...  And yes, that's sort of what I had in mind for Makhabesh - mildly annoying in an endearing kind of way. :D

1 minute ago, LizEF said:

I plan to spend some time working on Quintus' and Makhabesh's back stories (in my head, not in reviews) - that will no doubt help me come up with ideas going forward.  They're not really alive in my head yet - I'm just hacking out a few lines as I think of them - but if I can bring them to life in my head, hopefully the few lines will be better...  And yes, that's sort of what I had in mind for Makhabesh - mildly annoying in an endearing kind of way. :D

Working in the head is alright as long as you write it down :)

Sit down and write about each character in your notebook, stream of consciousness style, this should help to give you ideas ;)

Another nice review of an ink color to be avoided.  CdA does have nice bottles though, I picked up a few empties from Vanness.

1 minute ago, Tas said:

I've a 🥰 soft spot for this ink.

:) So does my Waterman Laureat (F) - it's like they were made for each other!

8 minutes ago, Tas said:

Thank you for continuing to make and share these  reviews.

You're very welcome!

1 minute ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

Another nice review of an ink color to be avoided.

:lol:  Serving wallets and EF nibs everywhere!

1 minute ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

CdA does have nice bottles though

There's always Delicate Green - a bright, cheerful green with fabulous shading!  (For those with emptier wallets, Robert Oster Green Lime is a near match, but doesn't have that cool bottle.)

2 minutes ago, LizEF said:

:lol:  Serving wallets and EF nibs everywhere!

There's always Delicate Green - a bright, cheerful green with fabulous shading!  (For those with emptier wallets, Robert Oster Green Lime is a near match, but doesn't have that cool bottle.)

Ah, I have Electric Orange.  The bottles come in neat hexagonal 'riser' boxes too, similar to MontBlanc's (square boxed) Elixir series. A lot of the ink cost is in that packaging though.

Thank you Liz - another great review. 
I'm so pleased it's not calling to me - I think they're nice inks, but very overpriced compared to the Kaweco equivalents, which are less than half the price! 

I do agree on the bottles though. 

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

Thank you Liz - another great review.

You're welcome!  And thank you. :D

I'm so pleased it's not calling to me

But look at samples with a broader nib, those might start calling to you! ;)

but very overpriced

Yeah, just a wee bit expensive. :rolleyes:  Can't blame anyone for looking at lower-priced near matches.

4 hours ago, yazeh said:

Working in the head is alright as long as you write it down :)

Sit down and write about each character in your notebook, stream of consciousness style, this should help to give you ideas ;)

Yep, I'll start writing as soon as I come up with a start - I always do that in my head - a sort of "what if" question.  I'm fortunate in that what I create remains in my head for ages (the ideas, scenes, and concepts - actual text must be written).

This gift is countered by the fact that I can't remember much of reality - but then non-reality is so much more engaging (to me)...

43 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Yep, I'll start writing as soon as I come up with a start - I always do that in my head - a sort of "what if" question.  I'm fortunate in that what I create remains in my head for ages (the ideas, scenes, and concepts - actual text must be written).

This gift is countered by the fact that I can't remember much of reality - but then non-reality is so much more engaging (to me)...

The exercise is meant to stimulate your mind. I often do it with pesky characters, writing over and over again, their story/backstory. 🐈 

What experts say is that the first 10 minutes of writing is when the critical voice argues against this very bad idea of writing. After that the creative side takes over.  :)

Besides  that it's a great excuse not to be in front of the screen, talking about pens and inks but actually using them :D

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Besides  that it's a great excuse not to be in front of the screen, talking about pens and inks but actually using them

:lol: No arguing with that.

On 2/16/2021 at 1:04 PM, I-am-not-really-here said:

Another nice review of an ink color to be avoided.  CdA does have nice bottles though, I picked up a few empties from Vanness.

Same here, if only for the long dry time.  But I do love watching these EFNIR reviews.  

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Another great review. As for the ink ... absolutely not for me, so my wallet thanks you too. I generally like blue-blacks, but this one looks really black. Reminds me a bit of Diamine 1864 Blue Black - also too black for my taste. Somewhere in the blue-black spectrum there is a line that, when crossed, turns the ink from desirable to yuck for me. Haven’t found the exact position of that line yet, but this ink has crossed it 😉

1 hour ago, namrehsnoom said:

Another great review.

Thank you! :)

As for the ink ... absolutely not for me, so my wallet thanks you too.

It's welcome, too! ;)

I generally like blue-blacks, but this one looks really black. Reminds me a bit of Diamine 1864 Blue Black - also too black for my taste.

This is the EF nib (and the camera).  If you check the video, 2 seconds in, you'll see this ink right next to 1864 BB, and the Diamine ink is clearly much darker.  Magnetic Blue looks very nice on that swatch card coming from my Waterman F nib.  Also, with 1864 BB in this nib, I see no color - only black.  With this ink, I can tell it's a slightly purple-leaning blue.

Somewhere in the blue-black spectrum there is a line that, when crossed, turns the ink from desirable to yuck for me. Haven’t found the exact position of that line yet, but this ink has crossed it 😉

Of course, despite what I wrote above, the line may still have been crossed!  (Especially if you tend to prefer wet nibs.)

• 1 year later...

Here's the line width measurement. The line is one of those used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 270µm.

large.CaranDAcheMagneticBlueLW.jpg.434061fdc0fcb0527005e993f4fce464.jpg