Karas Pen Co Maelstrom Vertex Fountain Pen Special Release

Karas Kustoms

Special Release Of 100 Pens

Maelstrom is the word used for the most powerful whirlpools in the world. The maelstrom is one of nature’s most fearsome natural occurring features; so feared by explorers and authors it’s been canonized throughout the ages in histories, myths, and legends by the likes of Homer, Edgar Allen Poe, and Jules Verne. Maelstrom is the common name for a whirlpool that is found in the open seas and oceans. The two largest maelstroms (Saltstraumen and Moskstraumen) lie off the coast of Norway, while the third-largest (Corryvreckan) is in a narrow strait between two islands off the coast of Scotland. Moskstraumen has been used in three well-known literary works by Poe, Verne, and Herman Melville. Poe’s work, “A Descent into the Maelstrom” was the first use of the word maelstrom in the English language. Interestingly enough a whirlpool with a downdraft is called a Vortex, so this edition could also be called the Vortex Vertex.

The first Vertex release of 2021 returns us to the high seas and tempestuous oceans that cover the earth for inspiration. Once again we’ve sourced the material from Vince at Turners Workshop, and this premium resin absolutely stuns. The base material is a dark black that polishes to a rich black that seems to pull the eye deep into its depths. Swirling through the black is are thick lines of blue-hued teal that shimmers with a brilliant chatoyance. Each swirl is unique in both shape and tone, some areas shining brightly to an almost white or silver hue while others deepen the blue closer to a true teal. The finished material evokes the pulls and swirl of the world’s fiercest maelstroms. The swirling blue waters pulling deep into the black depths of the ocean can be seen in the movement of the teal through the black resin. When you check out with your Maelstrom Vertex Special Release you’ll be prompted to select from the following grip section options: Orange, Purple, Smoke, or Teal.

The Vertex is our second release in our Signature Series which is built around using plastics and other resins as the main parts of the pen. From the beginning, we wanted to create something that looked, felt, and functioned differently than other pens on the market. The Vertex’s basic design is that of a classic eyedropper pocket fountain pen. It functions with only four parts: a cap, barrel, grip, and nib. Simply add ink to the reservoir, and you can happily write pages of notes before you need to refill. Eyedropper pens can be tricky and messy, and we wanted to eliminate some of those concerns. During the engineering phase, we implemented designs of custom fit o-rings to eliminate the need for silicone grease to seal the grip and nib areas. We wanted a smooth transition from grip to barrel, so we moved traditional breakpoint from the section back, and using a third o-ring in the cap adapted slip cap functionality for the pen. The longer grip section allows for the use of an “ink window” with transparent materials which adds a little flair to the pen. The Vertex looks and feels streamlined and aerodynamic with soft tapers, a cigar-shaped body, and a concave cap top; the Vertex is at once futuristic and reminiscent of the classic lines of Parker and Sheaffer pens. The Vertex is the latest step in our Design.History.Technology influenced Signature Series.

Comes standard with a Bock polished steel nib, with upgrades in titanium and 14k gold when in stock. The #6 nibs units are manufactured by Peter Bock in Germany. Also included with each pen is a 2 ml soft pipette and 2 black Monteverde ink cartridges. Each pen is designed and machined, by us, in the USA.

Untitled (31).png

Untitled (32).png

Untitled (33).png

Untitled (23).png

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karas Kustoms

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days