Wing Sung 322 Nib Replacement

Ardakilic

Hello, 

I got Wing Sung 322 recently, and I received it today.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1170045973.html

Dj4FdxX.png

42V3NKD.jpg

However, the nib is gold and I want silver one, so I got this, too:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001308157197.html

SEIN1fN.jpg

However, I don't know how to replace this nib. I believe you have to screw, since there are threads inside the nib's ring, but I'm not sure.

I tried to screw the nib, but I couldn't succeed, and I didn't want to overdo it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ardakilic

• Mech-for-i

• mke

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you need to screw off the nib but the nib was fixed using resin , so you need to give it a hot water bath to soften the sealant / resin pending the sealant softened . Then you can replace it with your new one. Do remember to clean and reapply new sealant ( these days just paste type silicone grease would be fine ). You might need to adjust the feed here and there to fit ( mostly aligning them ).

Mind that silver trim ring right next to the nib, it can be of 2 type of fixture, just press on or screw on, both had tendency to wick ink from the feed if not properly sealed. on some older batch they would be equally fixed using resin , but later batches can see them with only a dab of sealant applied to fix them in place , while changing the nib, apply generous amount of sealant or else you can expect inky fingers

Your pen's feed look like the later single piece feed so it should be fine, just remember where and how they fit before taking off the old nib and reposition likewise when putting in the new one , older batches can see a 2 piece feed which can be a nightmare to fit

3 hours ago, Mech-for-i said:

Yes you need to screw off the nib but the nib was fixed using resin , so you need to give it a hot water bath to soften the sealant / resin pending the sealant softened . Then you can replace it with your new one. Do remember to clean and reapply new sealant ( these days just paste type silicone grease would be fine ). You might need to adjust the feed here and there to fit ( mostly aligning them ).

Mind that silver trim ring right next to the nib, it can be of 2 type of fixture, just press on or screw on, both had tendency to wick ink from the feed if not properly sealed. on some older batch they would be equally fixed using resin , but later batches can see them with only a dab of sealant applied to fix them in place , while changing the nib, apply generous amount of sealant or else you can expect inky fingers

Your pen's feed look like the later single piece feed so it should be fine, just remember where and how they fit before taking off the old nib and reposition likewise when putting in the new one , older batches can see a 2 piece feed which can be a nightmare to fit

Hello, thanks for the detailed description. It seems it's the reason why I can't screw the nib out.

I have a lot of paste type silicone grease so I believe it shouldn't be a problem.

So, what confuses me after your post is that do I have to get that trim ring and feed out after soaking the pen into hot water? Or should I just screw the nib from the feed, while the feed is staying intact ?

Edit: Got it out after putting it in boiling water, but it took a great force indeed. Also the ring is one part and it's just press. Should it suffice to add paste type silicone grease to both parts ?

Thanks,

Update:

I have removed the nib and the ring, which is a single part, also the feed, , then I have replaced the nib with the silver color replacement nib which I purchased. However, although it fits nicely, the nib did not write at all. The ink was not coming to the nib's tip, and needed constant priming which is not fun at all with ink sacs. While primed, the nib was quite scratchy.

I have replaced back and forth with the original nib and the replacement which I got earlier, and I'm almost sure the replacement, although it fits, is not suitable for this pen.

As a last resort, I have used metal polish to remove the gold color coating, but it didn't work, unlike my other nibs. 

Finally, I've used paste silicone grease to re-seal the ring and nib's screws and it writes wet and beautifully. I wish the nib was bolder. I'll try to find other replacement or will tinker with the replacement nib in the future.

Meanwhile, a tip: Rotating the nib and the feed together is a way easier way to align them while screwing into the section.

these nibs tend to be finicky at times , the flow issue is likely that the nib and feed , even if align do not mate well , I've seen similar time and time again , what I used to do is heat set the feed on older type ( ebonite ) or work the nib a little , opening up the slit and gently work its curve to curve more inward. I've done the same to my 322 though I was replacing it with a fude version of the polished steel finished variant. There are 5 version of the Wing Sung triumph type nib ( and for both size ) the TigP finished ( aka gold colour ), the 2 tone finished, the polished steel finish, the polished steel finish fude, and the polished steel in EF. And for this size ( the smaller size type that fit on the 322 and some others ) there is also a rare variant droplet nib in M, usually only found on 8 series models.

13 hours ago, Mech-for-i said:

these nibs tend to be finicky at times , the flow issue is likely that the nib and feed , even if align do not mate well , I've seen similar time and time again , what I used to do is heat set the feed on older type ( ebonite ) or work the nib a little , opening up the slit and gently work its curve to curve more inward. I've done the same to my 322 though I was replacing it with a fude version of the polished steel finished variant. There are 5 version of the Wing Sung triumph type nib ( and for both size ) the TigP finished ( aka gold colour ), the 2 tone finished, the polished steel finish, the polished steel finish fude, and the polished steel in EF. And for this size ( the smaller size type that fit on the 322 and some others ) there is also a rare variant droplet nib in M, usually only found on 8 series models.

Heat setting is a great idea! I'll definitely try that! That may be the reason of the replacement steel colored nib being scratchy, due to the angle, too!

Also, thank you for the ideas and the extra information, I'll also look for 8 series models. These triumph nibs are a new discovery to me and are a joy to write with (I also have a Wing Sung 601A with a triumph nib).

It would be nice if such "repair" posts are accompanied by photos - with pointers and numbers to which you then refer in your text. Hint: manual style