Disassembly of Montblanc Slimline Nib and Feed

bduffy

Does anyone know how to remove the nib from a Montblanc Slimline?  The pen has a 14K nib and was probably produced in the 1970s.  It appears from a picture of a somewhat later Slimline pen someone else posted that the nib and feed fit into a section that might unscrew.  I am sure that the nib is friction fit, but it is impossible to remove it.  I suspect that if the section is unscrewed, then it will be a simple matter to remove the nib from the feed.  I do not know, however, if in removing the nib and feed I might damage a seal.  The pen is very badly clogged, and having tried every other approach to clean it, I realize that I need to remove the nib and feed to take care of the problem.  Thanks. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danielfalgerho

• bduffy

• CS388

• txomsy

Yes...the nib assembly is screwed in section/houseing...the nib and feed are friction fit inside a kind of long collar( compares pelikan collar)beware there is a very small oring around the nib point for safe seal with section.Be carefull...the nib point is hard to remove and take apart. GOOD LUCK !

Thank you!  If I unscrew the collar will I be able to reassemble the pen without damage?  Pelikan nibs unscrew very easy, but I haven't been able to apply enough pressure to unscrew the Montblanc Slimline nib.  The pen is useless unless I find a way to clean it, so it is probably worth the risk.  I have found that Montblanc factory repairs are quite expensive and are only guaranteed for a year.   

Not got a Slimline, but had a few Noblesse pens, back in the day, which were very similar.

The problem with knocking out any nib/feed that takes a cartridge, is that you will need a hollow punch, otherwise you will damage the spike (on the end of the feed) which punctures the cartridge. They can break off very easily.

I know that if a pen is densely clogged, dismantling and cleaning is the final option.

Without patronising, may I ask if you've exhausted all other options.? Overnight soaks can work wonders. Can you blow air through the section? Repeated flushing and blowing* can clear some stubborn stuff from the feed channels. An ultra-sonic cleaner, if you have one? Also, some pen-flush solutions can help, commercially bought, or home made.

If all fails, then yes, it has to come apart.

I'd like someone who has experience of this model to chip in - I'm pretty sure the nib/feed needs to be knocked out - BUT not 100% sure, so it'd be nice to double-check before you go bashing into it!

Good luck.

*some people disagree with blowing, as it may introduce bacteria into the pen?

I've never had a problem with it, personally - and it has helped me to remove many blockages.

Hi,

Thanks.  Yes, I would worry about damaging the feed.  I've tried everything, a commercial cleaner, using a rubber bulb to try to flush out the debris, overnight (several day) soaks, and sent the pen to an antique pen repairman who put it through an ultrasonic cleaner but didn't have the experience necessary to remove the nib.   Perhaps the best thing to do is sell the pen to someone who can knock the nib out more easily than I can.  I have to say that Pelikan makes taking the nib out so simple, I wonder why we buy Montblancs, though I do like the style of the Slimline and Noblesse nibs. 

Absolutely, they're some of the most attractive nibs Montblanc ever made, in my opinion.

Simple and elegant - and very good writers, when they're working.

Hopefully, one of our experts will come along and give you the advice needed to get this sorted.

Fingers crossed.

On 2/8/2021 at 4:30 PM, CS388 said:

Not got a Slimline, but had a few Noblesse pens, back in the day, which were very similar.

The problem with knocking out any nib/feed that takes a cartridge, is that you will need a hollow punch, otherwise you will damage the spike (on the end of the feed) which punctures the cartridge. They can break off very easily.

I know that if a pen is densely clogged, dismantling and cleaning is the final option.

Without patronising, may I ask if you've exhausted all other options.? Overnight soaks can work wonders. Can you blow air through the section? Repeated flushing and blowing* can clear some stubborn stuff from the feed channels. An ultra-sonic cleaner, if you have one? Also, some pen-flush solutions can help, commercially bought, or home made.

If all fails, then yes, it has to come apart.

I'd like someone who has experience of this model to chip in - I'm pretty sure the nib/feed needs to be knocked out - BUT not 100% sure, so it'd be nice to double-check before you go bashing into it!

Good luck.

*some people disagree with blowing, as it may introduce bacteria into the pen?

I've never had a problem with it, personally - and it has helped me to remove many blockages.

I will surely take your advice and exhaust and re-exhaust all other options: RapidoEze, ultrasonic rubber bulb and incantations but if I understand a hollow punch and knock out block will suffice? With care and watching for the O-ring?

That is very good news as I have not found any repair information on the Noblesse. It's a beautiful design indeed.

I would still consider soaking. I'd try adding a few drops of ammonia or dish washing detergent to the water and be patient.

Specially since, if it is so clogged, then the dried ink may act as a glue and also difficult extraction.

These are beautiful, great pens that are no longer made. Worth (in my most humble opinion) being careful.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Thank you, txomsy. It's soaking and will soak for a few days. My nest trick is to put in a plastic coin bag filled with RapidoEze and give it a few cycles of sonic cleaner. And think positive.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 11:54 PM, Mr.Rene said:

Yes...the nib assembly is screwed in section/houseing...the nib and feed are friction fit inside a kind of long collar( compares pelikan collar)beware there is a very small oring around the nib point for safe seal with section.Be carefull...the nib point is hard to remove and take apart. GOOD LUCK !

Please, pretty please with sugar on top, can you tell us more? Or suggest a source for more details? I have done, redone and redone again all the recommended steps and still my MB Noblesse doesn't have sufficient ink flow unless I bear down and write slowly which feels unnatural. I have restored a number of Parkers but Montblancs are new to me. 

I would rather look at the ink. It is easier (and less risky) to use a wetter ink.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2021 at 4:06 PM, txomsy said:

I would rather look at the ink. It is easier (and less risky) to use a wetter ink.

Diamine helps a tiny little bit, the ink flow is still irregular.